It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would a space-faring civilization have some sort of space police force similar to the Jedi?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
entirely possible, though I think they may be more like "Gort" from The Day The Earth Stood Still. You don't want to mess around with Gort either.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: infinityorder

There is no need to go all " what if" on the subject.

Let's look at real evidence we have here.

You violated the first rule of astrobiology when speculating about aliens:

"Never look at extraterrestrial life, it's environment, it's stressors, it's motivations as simply an extension of life on Earth because it is quite likely vastly different from life on Earth and to assume it would be the same also runs the risk of missing it."

And you are violating one of sciences founding principles.

You are assuming, and then using assumptions like they are facts.

Actually assumptions are made in science all the time when dealing with items of a speculative nature such as this. Ever hear the term "educated guess"?

The difference between my assumptions and yours is that I have numbers to back mine up based on observational evidence about our galaxy.

But please, list my illogical assumptions (lol)....

No you are assuming against all known evidence, an advanced species would be peaceful.

We cannot know about alien biology until we encounter it.

We can use what we do know as a starting off point.

In our experience advanced intellect is associated with predators.

Thus until we find other evidence, we should assume the same would be true of alien intelligence.

Just like we know life is carbon based here, though it has been hypothesised that silicon can be used as well.

So we assume alien life is carbon based.

These are examples of educated guesses.

You are discounting known facts, in favor of your preference when making an educated guess about alien life.

Using nothing but guessing.

I am using " educated guesswork" at it is intended.

It is a fantasy that advanced intelligence is peaceful.

It is not based on any facts.

That it would be aggressive is what the facts available to us at present tell us to expect.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
In an interview with a Grey alien the being stated they DID have a military.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I can't link from my phone..well I can it is just a pain in the are and I am too lazy.

You dropped the reference to Carl Sagan without the link, it's YOUR responsibility not mine to google it.

Lol, that's like linking a video I can't view then saying I am denying its evidence.

I can't link from my phone, it sucks but it is what it is.

The evidence exists, you can get it in seconds, you are deciding not to.

Hawking said the same thing I did to, but I can't link that either.

But you can Google it.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What if the police are nothing like we have?

What if policing is done via mind control, energy control, existence restrictions. Things we can't see, smell hear. What if we are being policed already and we can't understand the experience of it?

What if reincarnation is real, and just a galactic prison sentence?

Ding
Dong.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: data5091
entirely possible, though I think they may be more like "Gort" from The Day The Earth Stood Still. You don't want to mess around with Gort either.

Wouldn't that be terrifying?

Gort did scare me a little.

And those nanites....ugh.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
What if the police are nothing like we have?

What if policing is done via mind control, energy control, existence restrictions. Things we can't see, smell hear. What if we are being policed already and we can't understand the experience of it?

What if reincarnation is real, and just a galactic prison sentence?

Ding
Dong.

Now that is an idea worth entertaining, I would love Larry Niven or greg bear or timothy zahn to write a story about that.

You are probably close to the truth though.

As they would be so advanced their tech would seem like magic to us.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Now that is an idea worth entertaining, I would love Larry Niven or greg bear or timothy zahn to write a story about that.

I hope they don't, 'cause I already am

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I've absolutely no idea but what a fantastic thread title. Well done !

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

IF you are going to namedrop "Carl the Sage" you need to do it with a link to what you allege he said.

well if not sagan what about one of sciences other rock stars. how about hawking.

This video belongs to Discovery Communications LLC, and is being used for educational purposes only.

Stephen Hawking has revealed he strongly believes in aliens and warned that Earth could be at risk from an invasion. In a documentary series, the renowned astrophysicist argued that it is 'perfectly rational' to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe. And in an extraordinary series of assertions, he said Earth might be at risk from what he imagines to be 'massive ships' which could try to colonise our planet and plunder our resources.

The existence of 100 billion galaxies each containing hundreds of millions of stars means Earth is unlikely to be the only place where life has evolved, Professor Hawking said. 'To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational. The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like,' he added.

Professor Hawking said: 'We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. 'I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. 'Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.' It would be 'too risky' to attempt to make contact with alien races, he concluded. 'If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans.'

New series: Stephen Hawking revealed he believes in life on other planets Professor Hawking has suggested an open-minded attitude to extraterrestrials before, but the discovery of more than 450 previously-unknown planets orbiting distant stars since 1995 is believed to have strengthened his belief.

This year Professor Brian Cox, a physicist from the University of Manchester, also suggested life may exist elsewhere within our solar system - on Mars or the moons orbiting Jupiter or Saturn. Britain's leading astronomer also provoked controversy by saying that the chance of detecting alien life was stronger than ever before. Lord Rees, the Astronomer Royal and president of the Royal Society said: 'I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms that we can't conceive. 'And there could, of course, be forms of intelligence beyond human capacity, beyond as much as we are beyond a chimpanzee.'

Stephen Hawking's Universe begins on the Discovery Channel on Sunday May 9 at 9pm. Executive producer John Smithson said: 'He wanted to make a programme that was entertaining for a general audienc

the above came from here.

and you can go back and find where he said it as far back as 2010. and i dare say his brain is much bigger than your unless your hiding something. whats your rockstar status.

fact is no one knows what they would be like and chances are just as likely that they are hostile as them not being hostile.

for all we know they could be carrying around a book called to serve man.

edit on 6-2-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

That's all well and good but pics or it didn't happen....

Oh wait. Yea.

I'd flag that if I could

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

No reason our secret space forces shouldnt have everything from star wars if they have time travel then they have more than enough time to build 1000 death stars with thier clone army.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Why would they not have a space police? We might even have one if UFO sightings are true...I guess the scientific community thinks if humans evolve to interstellar travel then we would have become so advanced that we didn't destroy the planet by means of war. So at this point we will get rid of police and security? Law and punishment is ancient....I don't see why it would go away.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: game over man

of course it wouldn't. there will always be unbalanced individuals. The more peaceful a society becomes the more it gets regarded as dozy. So to live full-bone ideal will for all future be just that: an ideal. If someone is wealthy, happy and trusting => recipe, for getting raped, robbed and ruined.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I just gotta say... all these "Advance=Peaceful" people... you just wait till Humanity becomes an Interstellar Civilization. I hope the aliens believe any "advance race" will be peaceful too because they are gonna make our Conquests so much easier

You know what resource is not plentiful in the universe? Humans, Deer, Cows, Mangos. I can't wait to conquer a planet so we can keep all their Alien Mangos to ourselves... I love Alien Mangos, They are like regular Mangos except after you eat one, it regrows and you get to eat it again!

edit on 2/6/2015 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Similar to the Jedi? Perhaps...but not on the order of the ability to move things with one's mind power like the "force" --- But the ability to sense things --- like Darth Vader sensing the presence of Obi-Wan Kenobi --- a definite possibility.

Similar to Klaatu's fascist threat to Earth's people? --- In "The Day the Earth Stood Still" --- I seriously doubt it, unless Earthlings take "Divide and Conquer" too the interstellar extremes.
edit on 6-2-2015 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 6-2-2015 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

There is no need to go all " what if" on the subject.

Let's look at real evidence we have here.

You violated the first rule of astrobiology when speculating about aliens:

"Never look at extraterrestrial life, it's environment, it's stressors, it's motivations as simply an extension of life on Earth because it is quite likely vastly different from life on Earth and to assume it would be the same also runs the risk of missing it."

And you are violating one of sciences founding principles.

You are assuming, and then using assumptions like they are facts.

Actually assumptions are made in science all the time when dealing with items of a speculative nature such as this. Ever hear the term "educated guess"?

The difference between my assumptions and yours is that I have numbers to back mine up based on observational evidence about our galaxy.

But please, list my illogical assumptions (lol)....

No you are assuming against all known evidence, an advanced species would be peaceful.

We cannot know about alien biology until we encounter it.

We can use what we do know as a starting off point.

In our experience advanced intellect is associated with predators.

Thus until we find other evidence, we should assume the same would be true of alien intelligence.

Just like we know life is carbon based here, though it has been hypothesised that silicon can be used as well.

So we assume alien life is carbon based.

These are examples of educated guesses.

You are discounting known facts, in favor of your preference when making an educated guess about alien life.

Using nothing but guessing.

I am using " educated guesswork" at it is intended.

It is a fantasy that advanced intelligence is peaceful.

It is not based on any facts.
That it would be aggressive is what the facts available to us at present tell us to expect.

I would have used the term "biased" guesswork, rather than "educated" guesswork.
edit on 6-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Earth being a prison planet isnt exactly a new idea.

But if it is, with the population explosion over the last 50 years, Id say the rest of the Galaxy is a pretty f# up place.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
See South Park Space cash episode......explains it all....

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

A highly advanced civilizations police would likely be nanobots inside
the citizens minds, much like the current bunch of nut jobs plans
for us here on earth.

With the right MK Ultra techniques everyone would enforce the
1984 like series of laws, and everyone would basically be meat bots
like the borg on star trek, and that is also the goal for earth til we
can be replaced by total robots/androids which the globalists
see as better serfs for their Neo-feudalism future.

This is not theory or conspiracy, its alluded to in the writings
of the population control nut jobs who want 6.7 billion dead.

Its not a conspiracy if they confess to it.

Its not a conspiracy if they carve it in stone.

Its not a conspiracy if they stand in an auditorium give the
speech and Homeland security shows up to question them about it.

If they get what they want the future will look a lot like
the Solarians in Asimovs foundation series.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join