It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians are discussing mission creep in Iraq theater. What is really going on?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Canadian Special Forces have been given a mission to train Iraqi forces, much like other members of the combined forces. At the start of their mission, Harper made it clear that Canadians would not be in a combat mission, as Canadians and Opposition parties would not support boots on the ground type of mission. However, CSF appear to have been at the front lines and have been engaged on three separate occasions in the past couple of weeks, while no other coalition member has. The Forces cryptically describe their role as "evolving" without elaborating on what this means. There's a lot of political back and forth about this at the moment.
Link to news clip about it.

In the US, Obama has said that there would be no boots on the ground and American reps say US troops are not accompanying Iraqi forces at the front. McCain is still pushing for an increase in participation and there is an ever-increasing demand for more equipment on the part of the forces combatting ISIS.

Canada did not join Bush's coalition in Iraq, and there's no doubt that it pi$$ed off some higher ups. Even though our forces served in Afghanistan, could there be some kind of payback going on that is singling out Canadian troops for front line confrontations? (I know, sorry, low blow, but as a citizen I have to wonder)

So what do you think about mission creep and the CSF evolving role as a harbinger of mission creep?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I think that by posting this type of information online you are participating in aiding an enemy.
Any force can access and read your messages that canadian forces are being front loaded in an iraq combat zone.
If enemies know this there could be some serious casualties.
OPSEC= Operations Security. Do NOT let the terrorists win.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

I say bring em on. I'm proud our boys have had the chance to use some ISIS goat #&!$ers for target practice. The more of them we kill, the better.

No, I don't believe there is some sort of "payback" because we didn't support the invasion of Iraq. I think it amounts to logistics and a dynamic battlefield that is shifting quickly in Iraq as ISIS' power ebbs and flows between Syria and Iraq.

As a Canadian, I am probably in the minority on this website in stating that I support our involvement in this coalition 100%. Personally I'd like to see MORE boots on the ground. Hell I'd join up myself if I could. I've seen way too much graphic footage of what the animals known as ISIS are capable of. Kill them all and let our Norse God's sort them out

edit on 28-1-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Canadian Special Forces

LMAO.

I'm trying to think of a special ops Canadian but the image is ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatisurproblem
LMAO.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Very funny.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: intunewithmyself
I think that by posting this type of information online you are participating in aiding an enemy.
Any force can access and read your messages that canadian forces are being front loaded in an iraq combat zone.
If enemies know this there could be some serious casualties.
OPSEC= Operations Security. Do NOT let the terrorists win.

Wow, politicians lie and you support that lie? Just sad. And I have to ask which terrorists those would be? Our governments, ISIS or whatever flavour-of-the-day-terrorist-cum-freedom-fighter is out there in the wild. You should remember recent history, Mandela was a terrorist, then when it was convenient for political gain he was a freedom fighter and then when it was convenient to an NWO brand, he was a hero. It's all BS and this IS Bizarro World!

Canadians should not even be involved in this mess. When we were "peacekeepers" and monitors, we had the respect of the world. Now we are nothing but a bad, half-assed copy of the US towing their BS corporate empire building, errr... I mean foreign policy. My old man always told me that if someone hits you, put them down and make sure they don't get up for a long time, but don't hit first and keep the high ground. ISIS did not attack Canada and don't make the Ottawa excuse (that false flag psyop), because we already had planes and troops going, on their way or already there.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/28.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intunewithmyself

Allowing the people of ones nation to be hoodwinked by their government and indeed the machinations of the Military Industrial Complex is letting the terrorists win. Its just that the terrorists who will be winning in that instance, are the ones pulling the strings on both sides of the battle line, and they are not the people you THINK they are.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: whatisurproblem

Canadian Special Forces

LMAO.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

It's been a mainstay on the news for the past couple of weeks, so while I certainly respect your message, I am sure that I am not divulging or adding to anything that is not already public knowledge.

ETA: I know no one at all in the military, know absolutely nothing about troop movements or see any homeland military at all ever. All info I have obtained comes exclusively from MSM news sources.

edit on 28-1-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

If this is a situation of "Loose Lips Sink Ships", I believe you are shooting the messenger, not the perpetrator.

Clearly this is being advertised by the CBC. The added inflection and observation is simply compiling what is available for consumption to anyone in the MSM.

I believe that your declaration that the OP is aiding the enemy is uncalled for. If information like this is new to you, perhaps you might want to do a bit more reading here on ATS, or any one of the million other sites in the internet.

Clearly, if this is helping the enemy, then they are far more technically proficient than the majority of us. Let alone the other governments throughout the world.

Please take my words into strong consideration, and retract your accusation. Although clearly heartfelt and abundantly patriotic, It was uncalled for.

-NF

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Nope and nothing in the video clip supports it either.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Oh look some American keyboard warriors are disrespecting their brothers in arms.

Just fyi, the rest of the western world's militairy would rather fight alongside those guys than those Marcus Lutrell gung ho bunch of # ups.
edit on 28-1-2015 by SkippyBalls because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SkippyBalls

I have a lot of friends in the Canadian Forces.

They, and most that they know, are more than willing to fight along side the US.

There is a great deal of respect and comradery between Western forces.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Way to disrespect your friends.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whatisurproblem

FYI, the first SF is acknowledged in the U.S. community as being a joint U.S.-Canadian unit popularized by the movie "Devil's Brigade". I believe filmed in 1969. It used active P.P.C.L.I. forces in the filming as well.

It is generally conceded it was the Canadian members of that force which trained the U.S. members to that level.

The first SF EVER...

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

What would ordinarily constitute mission creep?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I hate to break it to you but what the OP has posted is mainstream international news...lol...please tell me you were joking

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

originally posted by: Xcathdra

What would ordinarily constitute mission creep?

Something beyond spending 20% of your mission on the front lines, I'd imagine. From what I have read, Canadian forces engaged ISIS after being fired upon during training exercises with Iraqi forces. Mission creep would be going on patrols, actively seeking out ISIS forces for engagement, establishing forward operating bases, etc.

There doesn't appear to be any of that. Just NDP crybabies back in Ottawa that are outraged because some of our guys put a few rounds in a bunch of useless meat sacks (you know, doing the job they are paid to do).

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Uh...it's in the news that JTF-2 is in Iraq.

Do you think the people shooting at them don't realize "hey wait those guys don't really look like us after all!" or something? Nothing in that article violates OPSEC. Your assertion is akin to telling The Washington Post to stop reporting on the Marines being in Iraq in 2006.

To the OP - highly doubt that it's payback of any form. There is a great deal of respect for JTF-2 in our special operations community.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join