It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL - Should the UK monarchy now be abolished ? Y/N - all ATS members please contribute

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: aboutface

Harper isn't a Head of State, he's a Head of Government and while I am sure hosts will pay for some expenses, they don't carry as much pomp as a Head of State. Whenever one visits the UK, they are afforded the best treatment at our expense and the same goes for when they visit other Nations.

Explain to me where I said he was head of state?

I didn't...

Perhaps you're speed reading and missing the point?

Korg.

Haha, classic.... Tells me to read properly and the post wasn't even directed it him!

Hey, news flash, the Universe doesn't revolve around you, Korg!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity

She is totally and separately the Queen of Canada as she is of the United Kingdom.

In the unlikely scenario the UK got rid of the monarchy, she would still be their Queen and of all the other separate realms she is Queen of.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Yep, I know all about Crown land, it is you not understanding what you're reading.

Yes, they are the "property" of the Monarch but not the private property and are held by the State. All income goes to the Treasury.

In the case of Canada, it is the equivalent of Federal land in the US. Should Canada get rid of the Monarchy, she wouldn't get to keep "Crown Land" as it would then become Federal Land.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

My passport says British citizen.

Which town were you born?

Korg?
Somewhere on the Welsh coast, what difference does that make? Wales is a constituent country of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, you know, the internationally recognised state which has a seat on NATO, the UN, EU and all the rest of it. The UK issues passports to English, Welsh, Scottish, and Northern Irish folk marked 'British Citizen'.
What on Earth does the town I was born in have to do with any of that?

Then you should be proud to be Welsh then! Yes indeed the Country of Wales sits within the UK and your passport states Britain, but you are most certainly Welsh and don't let anyone else try and errode that away!

When asked on any paperwork about my nationality I always tick other, then write in capitals ENGLISH. My Country my very well be in the British isles but I was born in the Country of England and as such my nationality is ENGLISH.

This is surely common sense!?

Korg.

edit on 27-1-2015 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

One can be British and Welsh - don't you try to errode that away from him.

At any rate, merely being born somewhere doesn't make you of that place. It's the culture you're brought up in, that of your parents and grandparents, the language you speak that all defines your "nationality".

I was born in Nottingham, but I have no affiliation there, my family comes from the South West so I feel affinity more with people from there.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Yep, I know all about Crown land, it is you not understanding what you're reading.

Yes, they are the "property" of the Monarch but not the private property and are held by the State. All income goes to the Treasury.

In the case of Canada, it is the equivalent of Federal land in the US. Should Canada get rid of the Monarchy, she wouldn't get to keep "Crown Land" as it would then become Federal Land.

The monarch cannot be alienated from Crown land.

Although the land is administered by the federal government it is not owned by the federal government.

That means that any land that is used is on Lease and after the leasehold is up the land returns to the Crown. It is much the same as it is in England. If I were to look at the deeds to my property it will state a lease of 99 years. This lease can of course be taken out again and the lease agreement begins over.

Ultimately the Queen could comedere your land, though of course this wouldn't happen, unless there was exceptional circumstances involved.

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

One can be British and Welsh - don't you try to errode that away from him.

At any rate, merely being born somewhere doesn't make you of that place. It's the culture you're brought up in, that of your parents and grandparents, the language you speak that all defines your "nationality".

I was born in Nottingham, but I have no affiliation there, my family comes from the South West so I feel affinity more with people from there.

Britain is a description equivalent to a continent. I'm sure the french would have a serious problem if it transpired they were to remove republic of france off their passports now.

So why should our individual countries be forgotten and labeled under the Great British Isles?

I certainly am British but I am most definitely English first and foremost and this is the issue I have with being called British alone!

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yeah, but I've lived longer on the sleepy SW coast of England, married an English girl and family born and raised in England with her. I don't really do nationalist pride to be honest, I'm only proud or ashamed of my own achievements, not those of people who happened to be born on the same island as me.
I couldn't give a # what my nation status is on my passport, as long as it continues to get me into 173 different internationally recognised nations of the world without a visa, I'm happy.
...oh, and the US passport gets you into 172 nations without a visa.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite
As a follow-up to the last thread link below (thanks to those who contributed with their comments/thoughts - most of which I concur with)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please briefly comment on whether the UK monarchy should now be abolished and vote only either Yes or No?

Be interesting to see what the % split is.

I for one vote YES!

Added after 10 posts: Interesting to note that so far after only 10 posts
the vote is 40% in favour of abolishment!
Be interesting to see if this continues and what the
final vote will be!

After 64 posts (not all contributors cast a vote) its running at approx. 45% in favour!
Im surprised its not more!

Lets see if it ends up 50/50.

Unless you're British, it's none of your business!

As for the Commonwealth, they can make up their own individual minds who serves as their head of state.

As a Brit, I vote NO!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Yeah, but I've lived longer on the sleepy SW coast of England, married an English girl and family born and raised in England with her. I don't really do nationalist pride to be honest, I'm only proud or ashamed of my own achievements, not those of people who happened to be born on the same island as me.
I couldn't give a # what my nation status is on my passport, as long as it continues to get me into 173 different internationally recognised nations of the world without a visa, I'm happy.
...oh, and the US passport gets you into 172 nations without a visa.

It doesn't really matter if you lived elsewhere, nationality is set at birth unless you decide to change it.

I'm sorry you feel that way, perhaps this feeling is the reason why it is so easy for nations outsided of the UK to erode what it means to be English or Welsh or Irish or indeed to a less extent Scottish.

Sad times we live indeed!

Korg.
edit on 27-1-2015 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sorry but you (deliberately?) are confusing two separate issues. Crown land in Canada is state/federal owned land. This is the majority of land in Canada as it includes huge nature reserves and protected lands. Very similar to how most land in Alaska is federal owned.
A separate issue is that Canada maintains the same common law rules on freehold as does England (not sure about wales) it really really doesn't mean that the queen owns all the land.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

No as they serve a important diplomatic and tourist function.

Providing they keep out of politics they can continue to exists.

I only support the upkeep of the King/Queen and immediate heir though. And only so long as they are serving there diplomatic function.

Tourists is such a clichéd point of view. I don't give the tiniest rats ass about tourists - come or don't - I do not care.

That is a false argument anyway as it does little for the majority of the country.

The reason they stay is because we want them to, the alternatives do not bare thinking about. Imagine, President Blair. NO THANKS!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

a reply to: aboutface

Harper isn't a Head of State, he's a Head of Government and while I am sure hosts will pay for some expenses, they don't carry as much pomp as a Head of State. Whenever one visits the UK, they are afforded the best treatment at our expense and the same goes for when they visit other Nations.

Explain to me where I said he was head of state?

I didn't...

Perhaps you're speed reading and missing the point?

Korg.

Haha, classic.... Tells me to read properly and the post wasn't even directed it him!

Hey, news flash, the Universe doesn't revolve around you, Korg!

My apologies, I have read 90% of this thread and as far as I was aware I was the only person to mention Stephen Harper.

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Sorry but you (deliberately?) are confusing two separate issues. Crown land in Canada is state/federal owned land. This is the majority of land in Canada as it includes huge nature reserves and protected lands. Very similar to how most land in Alaska is federal owned.
A separate issue is that Canada maintains the same common law rules on freehold as does England (not sure about wales) it really really doesn't mean that the queen owns all the land.

Please go and research more yourself. Don't take my word for it.

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: citizenx1

As a follow-up to the last thread link below (thanks to those who contributed with their comments/thoughts - most of which I concur with)

Please briefly comment on whether the UK monarchy should now be abolished and vote only either Yes or No?

I for one vote YES!

final vote will be!

After 64 posts (not all contributors cast a vote) its running at approx. 45% in favour!

As for the Commonwealth, they can make up their own individual minds who serves as their head of state.

As a Brit, I vote NO!
I am British (English) born and bread so that makes it my business!!!!

Vote is 60% in favour. Pipe it and smoke it!!
edit on 27-1-2015 by RP2SticksOfDynamite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If you are correct one of our Canadian members can of course confirm that they are paying rent to lizzie. What happens if they fall behind? Do Philip and the boys come round and threaten to duff them up?
I think you may need to apply a bit more critical thinking to what you read online!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: citizenx1

I for one vote YES!

final vote will be!

As a Brit, I vote NO!
I am British (English) born and bread so that makes it my business!!!!

Vote is 60% in favour. Pipe it and smoke it!!

Doesn't matter what foreigners think, the bottom line is this: the people of the UK are in favour of it. Game over.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

Wow what a surprise. ..ats is against the monarchy. ...
Means nothing the majority of us British actually want Them.
So put that in your pipe.
edit on 27-1-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Does the abolishment include recovery of assets held by the royal family?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Yep conspiracy web site members are anti-establishment shocker. I think the majority of the population is happy enough with Liz who is seen to do good job. What happens when a right bam inevitably comes along will be interesting.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join