It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL - Should the UK monarchy now be abolished ? Y/N - all ATS members please contribute

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263
a reply to: uncommitted
I understand not everyone shares my viewpoint. I am comparing the sample of ATS members and their common ideals.

As a generalisation of the sample of members here on ATS I would say it is not out of the question to assume more than 60% of members would be against the monarchy.

As 'uncommitted' said, which you must have missed:

On a conspiracy site where the majority typically would regard anything seen as 'mainstream' or 'part of the establishment' with mistrust, I think it's quite telling that actually 60% is quite low, especially since it includes so many who have only the vaguest concept of what modern monarchy actually is.

I use terms like scum because, this may seem obvious, I believe they are scum. Check my post history, I've close links with the Royal family and my views are not hidden.

What I would like to ask, and I would put this to you as a task, using only my use of the word 'scum' - can you summarise what this reveals about me which I do not realise is being revealed? You can U2U me your answer as it would derail this thread even more than I have already.

Call the internet police, I've made a post which refers to the idea we have common ideals AND I generalised within the post!

EDIT: I can't believe I just wasted 10 minutes of my life replying to you.

It truly is a waste of 10 minutes for someone with such an intellect that you've responded to me, quoting directly from me with the comment 'in case you missed this' - interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Korg Trinity
Just to check you understand the difference between owning land in a country and owning all the land in a country?
Also doesn't Windsor's claim the throne cone via the Stuarts, so shouldn't queen of Scots be her primary title?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Aw, I'm disappointed now, with all the strong feelings against the UK monarchy I notice nobody has added to the e-petition on the UK government website since I mentioned it earlier:
Abolish the Monarchy and Replace with a Republic

Only 20 votes in favour of it so far, and I'm surprised as the amount of whinging on ATS had me thinking that folk would actually do something about it instead of just bleating like lost lambs on the hillside. Go on, it's just a digital vote, 2 minutes of your life then you can feel you've made an effort to change things.

Personally I couldn't give a toss because monarch or president it aint gonna make any difference to my life here in the UK, but for all those who seem so disturbed by this clearly undemocratic head of state situation I offer the opportunity to send your message to the government instead of just moaning on ATS.
...or do you not really care that much either? Seems that way to me lol

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Yeah true mate - you're sh***y reply about people not sharing my viewpoints made me think you were someone else. Bit weird but some people are.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
I think you have hit the nail on the head. For most people having a monarchy or not doesn't really impact on their lifes. If it came to a vote I would probably want rid or scale back their role but there are a lot more important constitutional issues to be dealt with.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

The points you make are completely irrelevant.

In none of the Queens official titles is she styled Queen of England.
She herself does not view herself as predominantly Queen of England.

The only people I've ever seen, heard or read about who ever call her Queen of England are Americans....and you.

She actually spends as much of her time as possible at Balmoral in Scotland.....quite ironically one of the very few properties and estates that belong to her as an individual and which is not part of the Crown Estate.

You seem to be under the delusion that because Liz is the ruling monarch she somehow owns all the land where she 'rules' or is Head of State.
Absolute and total bollocks.
You do know what the Crown Estate is don't you?
And you do know that the monarchy handed over all of its lands to Parliament in return for annual payments from the Civil List? (Succeeded by The Sovereign Grant Act, 2011).
All moneys from Crown Land gets paid into HM Treasury, which the government control.

As an aside quite disgracefully Crown Estates are planning on selling off quite a large number country estates to private owners.
Thatcher would be proud.

edit on 27/1/15 by Freeborn because: typo

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
I'm of the same mindset and looking solely at the monetary costs I wonder what we would actually save at the end of the day. The 'royal grant' is around £30 million per year but the cost of a referendum dwarfs that:
UK Electoral Commission

The full cost of the May 2011 referendum on the UK Parliamentary voting system was just over £75 million, the Electoral Commission can reveal today.
Add to that an election every 4 years for a president, plus presidential expenses etc, I don't see much of a saving for the UK taxpayer. Plenty more crappy things need fixing in the UK before that, and while I object to an unelected head of state, it really does make naff all difference to my day to day life/wealth/aspirations/happiness.
...lots of amusement reading all the whinging about it though, if that's all some folk have to moan about I guess their lives in the UK can't be all that bad lol

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

And we do get the odd day on the lash thanks to their weddings etc.

But as I said in my first post in this thread, there are far more important issues affecting us that need urgent and radical reform.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 27/1/15 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Just to check you understand the difference between owning land in a country and owning all the land in a country?
Also doesn't Windsor's claim the throne cone via the Stuarts, so shouldn't queen of Scots be her primary title?

Oh I understand....

For example all physical land in Canada is the property of the Crown....

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

The points you make are completely irrelevant.

In none of the Queens official titles is she styled Queen of England.
She herself does not view herself as predominantly Queen of England.

The only people I've ever seen, heard or read about who ever call her Queen of England are Americans....and you.

She actually spends as much of her time as possible at Balmoral in Scotland.....quite ironically one of the very few properties and estates that belong to her as an individual and which is not part of the Crown Estate.

You seem to be under the delusion that because Liz is the ruling monarch she somehow owns all the land where she 'rules' or is Head of State.
Absolute and total bollocks.
You do know what the Crown Estate is don't you?
And you do know that the monarchy handed over all of its lands to Parliament in return for annual payments from the Civil List? (Succeeded by The Sovereign Grant Act, 2011).
All moneys from Crown Land gets paid into HM Treasury, which the government control.

As an aside quite disgracefully Crown Estates are planning on selling off quite a large number country estates to private owners.
Thatcher would be proud.

If they are so irrelevant... then please answer them in order.... Instead of dodging them....

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

And we do get the odd day on the lash thanks to their weddings etc.
Haha true! Really enjoyed the last royal wedding, didn't give a toss about the happy couple but the local pubs sorted some crazy street parties and to be fair the whole town was drunk that day. A bone thrown at the peasants? Maybe, but aside from sporting events there isn't much that brings us Brits together in communal celebration so yeah it was worth it for the laugh. Even though I'm self employed so the 'public holiday' actually lost me money.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If they are so irrelevant... then please answer them in order.... Instead of dodging them....

Err, ok then.

1. Where was the Queen born? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

2. Where was she coronated? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

3. Who were the Queens parents? British

4. What house does the queen belong to? and where is that? Windsor. Which is in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

5. Where are the Queens palaces? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

6. Was the British Monarch the head of state of any other nation before the British Empire and the Commonwealth? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Have you no response to any of the points I or other members have raised with you?

edit on 27/1/15 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

no
2nd line

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
They should be aboloshed ASAP.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
a reply to: abe froman

They GENERATE far more revenue for the people of the UK than what they are paid. The Royals are a huge cash-cow for the Exchequer.

Um... you got any figures to back that up with?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Err, ok then.

1. Where was the Queen born? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

2. Where was she coronated? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

4. What house does the queen belong to? and where is that? Windsor. Which is in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

5. Where are the Queens palaces? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

6. Was the British Monarch the head of state of any other nation before the British Empire and the Commonwealth? The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Have you no response to any of the points I or other members have raised with you?

I can see you won't admit to the truth, either that or you would fail a GCSE in history!

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

The whole is greater than the four individual constituent parts.

Fail a GCSE?
Probably.....yet I still recently got offered an unconditional place to study History amongst other subjects at several universities.....at 49 years old, so I reckon I have a pretty decent grasp and understanding of historical subjects.

But that is pretty much irrelevant - please explain to me how my answers are incorrect.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

The whole is greater than the four individual constituent parts.

Fail a GCSE?
Probably.....yet I still recently got offered an unconditional place to study History amongst other subjects at several universities.....at 49 years old, so I reckon I have a pretty decent grasp and understanding of historical subjects.

But that is pretty much irrelevant - please explain to me how my answers are incorrect.

Then perhaps you would like to explain how you arrived at this answer....

I think that would count towards a fail on any paper I ever marked!

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: RonPalmer

They cost sixty five pence per person but they pay the tax equivalent of around two pounds fifty back per person in tax.
So we make money off them.
End of the day us British want them around We got rid once and then demanded them back after a few years.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

George VI Born Sandringham 14th December 1895.
His father was born London 3rd June 1865.

Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon Born London 4th August 1900.
He father was the Earl of Strathmore and Kingholm.
Her mother was born in Belgravia.

That's pretty much British by any definition.

Have I made any mistakes?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join