It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "White Privilege?"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
White privilege is something "progressive" white people use to stop any argument on race that they are losing.

Nothing more.

I live in Japan, but you don't hear people here complaining about "Jap Privilege". Seems to be a purely American term, actually.

I am also living in Japan,and do you know which set of folks bitches the most about racism??...My fellow Americans of the "Caucasian" persuasion,it seems at-least for some non military types a shock to the system that they are a minority and the world does not revolve around them. AAs are more adjusted they pretty much expected to face anti-Black racism before even landing at Narita,but are pretty and pleasantly surprised when they found out that...meh! you are not at the bottom of the social ladder you are not even at the lower end of the Gaijin ladder,whatever slight real or perceived tend to pale in comparison to what you may have back home.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Agreed 100%, I take every comment I can make and apply it to a lot of Caucasian travelers to japan, I have a friend living there that still complains about it 10 years later and he's married Japanese and still whines. I love the fact that the whole race thing... well it feels like it's almost eliminated by the fact that you conform to Japanese culture to a certain degree or get kicked the hell out lol at least socially kicked out if you follow me...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'd also offer that it doesn't matter what color you are, people that travel from the West to Asia, for example from America to Asia for extended periods of time have more in common with each other than they do with other Americans in General. I find people like myself that prefer it are "looking for something" they don't get stateside, hard to pin down a word for it, it ranges from discipline to zen to logic... I find a lot of people in the States white black green...to be bat shiz crazy imho, focused on... crap, bad attention spans... I dunno, hard to explain but that's how I feel, there's a commonality in those who appreciate Asian culture that transcends Race, Religion and even Americanism and levels he field entirely.

There's something that just feels Sane
edit on 26-1-2015 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

What I love about this country is my successes and failures are my own,they are anal about rules ,regs and time, adopt those principles and you should be fine.
There is a saying I borrowed from the my Navy days..THERE IS THE RIGHT WAY THE WRONG WAY AND THE JAPANESE WAY. that is in essence the key to living successfully in Japan.
edit on 26-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I'd also offer that it doesn't matter what color you are, people that travel from the West to Asia, for example from America to Asia for extended periods of time have more in common with each other than they do with other Americans in General.
That's because most of us are more than willing to leave our comfort zone and take a chance ,the question is can we ever truly go home again.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

I'd also offer that it doesn't matter what color you are, people that travel from the West to Asia, for example from America to Asia for extended periods of time have more in common with each other than they do with other Americans in General.
That's because most of us are more than willing to leave our comfort zone and take a chance ,the question is can we ever truly go home again.

I currently have no choice because of children, but, it's uncomfortable to me. It's not just from travel and time spent, I consume a lot of material from Japan in particular Asia in general, spent 11 years in a Shotokan Dojo and other things... I feel like Gulliver in the Houyhnhnm returning home where I currently am in rural Arizona.
edit on 26-1-2015 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
And you sir buy into it and wear that crap like a merit badge.

Sure thing.
But white privilege is as plain as the nose on your face. And denial of the fact defines you.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
.]a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I'm not at all trying to suggest there's not a societal divide in the U.S.

I just think the term "White Privilege" is something that people throw around a lot without knowing what it means for society. Using the term itself implies that minorities are somehow less privileged when it comes to society. While this is true is SOME areas, it's largely a term that exists because the people who profit from this social divide are perpetuating the cycle of mistrust, hate, dependence, and greed.

Or it is real as any stats can prove,like I said earlier,"White Privilege " are a set of assumptions it is not dependent on wealth,education,dress and I could add politics,some of these assumptions are just annoying others can cripple you financially but at the extreme can be deadly .
Here is the thing and I am going to assume you self I.D as 'White" you like the rest of us struggle through life trying to make better ,you may win or lose based solely off your talent and energy,minorities especially Black folks have that extra external baggage,it could be a last name on a job APP,or that photo you sent out with your APP.

Black Woman Pretends To Be White, Job Offers Skyrocket

financialjuneteenth.com...

Now some would say why AAs have to go to the "WHITE MAN" to get a job why not start your own business and hire your "OWN" people, well I am not opposed that but then taken to extremes Why not have your own all black police force,your own mayors,your own state ..ahem D.C??

Are we willing to give up on this so-called melting pot/salad bowl and live separate lives,as far as I recall separate but equal didn't workout too well,so what's the solution break-up the country based off ethnic units each with it's own president and foreign policy.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hey...here's proof, eh?

White Like Me

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
White privilege is a wedge in the heart of the United States of America. It's used as a crutch for anyone who isn't white. If you're white, you're the devil. Pay more taxes so the non-whites have a better life than you. There's no competition in welfare. You'll do what you're told until you have served your purpose. Then they will flip the script. You created your own slavery and can't see the forest for the trees. You poor ignorant bastards.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

What many fail to realize, is when accusations of racism, white privilege are made, it is unfortunate that the outcry is put in monolithic framing, that is, any complaint is received as though it is being made against all, but the real truth is , there are gatekeepers, many of whom are sworn by unwritten codes, good ol boy, toga party oaths to make sure they keep their foothold and monopoly on real power in society, we are not talking the little minions, we are talking the big money movers and shakers in industry and corporations, the gatekeepers unfortunately create the message.

The message that gets filtered down that the minority completely understand and that is the institution of racism, the institution that we know there is a small number that are the shot callers for the way a company is run, the image they like to maintain, even in some cases where they know there are plenty of viable and equally smart minorities to fill roles.

To tow the line they will always default to hiring someone that is part of their own group, is there anything wrong with that? of course not but it is unfortunate that clan dynamics, shared experience, subliminal xenophobia guide what the gatekeepers choose, the problem is the majority will share in the demographics of the gatekeepers and be subjected to the outcry of those who are singled out, seen as not worthy by the few, who will again, uphold those unwritten rules to keep minorities at a minimum, or at least in lower positions in their organizations.

The micro aggressive attack is to be expected, for that cross section is clueless of these operational aspects of institutionalized racism, yes I said it, because it is in full effect, those that do not think so are in full denial.... please don't retort with a weak example of someone that is an exception to the rule, if you are not in corporate America, lets be honest, we know that the boardrooms only reflect what the company sees as the image it needs to portray.... this is the unspoken privilege being spoken of, that is never taken into account, don't blame those that have the outcry, blame those that have created the constructs to keep a foothold on real power at all costs, including, excluding some from its inner circles and secretive meetings that all elite circles maintain, this is far above the head of the little people, of all racial groups and it comes down to a duality of race and real economic power to maintain that edge at all costs.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Love those one liners and blanket statements

Whats the Canadian Debate team like?

"It's a lot of snow ay"

"no it's not ay"

"yes it's a lot of snow ay"

You know in a lot of ways that's sort of the kind of thing some one does who actually is a a Racist or a Moron I don't like you because your a N or a J, no actual reasoning behind it...

If you don't see my point and agree your A_________ and it proves me right.

So how's this rebuttal

Since you can't respond with a couple of paragraphs your both a Troll and as stupid as most Racists are because you you make simplistic blanket statements in regards to other peoples opinions? Ay?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
White privilege is that you dont know what white privilege is

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
Hey...here's proof, eh?

White Like Me

There was actually a book called Black like Me about a white man who went undercover in Harlem in the 60ts or 70ts ?? and how stark the differences in treatment is was.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

But if he looked like that, he would be even more recognizable as a mulatto or biracial individual, whereby more African looking blacks will ignorantly say, he has more privilege, or he is light skinned, just goes to show you, how racism transcends even within racial groups, I mean you look at the situation with Iraq, the Kurds, us they look similar but there was great divide.

What creates racism and privilege, since you brought this up, and like I said, people will discriminate within their own ethnic groups as well... it is a very bad human characteristic, but then you can think, beauty compared to what is considered ugly or not so pleasing to the eye...but isn't that in they eye of the beholder ?...hmmmm

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The simplest example is racial profiling. I get a laugh when white folks tense up and grab their purse around. Especially when I have a grand or 2 in my pocket. One of my first experiances with it was being in a car with my white buddys. We were all taken out the car and we were separated. Later they told me the cops asked what I was doing with them, before focusing on the reason they pulled us over in the first place.

Im way over the blame, debate game. It exist and the proof is those that question it. Any honest white folk accepts the privalage and makes the decision on what they do with it. This country (haha) was created by earopean forefathers, where blacks were considered 1/5 a human.

I often times wonder how things would be if events such as black wall street or the real rosewood never happened and the black(their is no such thing as a black race, what country is black ?)folk were allowed to built inforstruction and economy without interuption, then again that is the mans9or was ) biggest fear.

I feel sorry for those that are predjudice and bigoted it must hurt to not succed in a place that was design for you. BTW i experianced plenty of racism and white privelage situations, and Im still the last to complain. I understand the nature of the situation and take solice in being concious and successful

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I can run a control on the problem like the videos posted also. Let's go to a nice black neighborhood where everyone is a productive member of society and see how those tests pan out. I can slant things any way I want. Just like you. How about instead of you crying about how hard you have it, you get off your ass and do something about it. Now what?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: phinubian

Whats Your district.
Couldn't have worded it better,but you know what's gonna happen right?? TPTB when it suites them as the white middle class sinks lower they will treat those who have fallen below a certain marker as functionally non white,we see this happening with more frequency with police brutality of broke whites.White privileges may yet morph into something quite different in the not so distant future.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What is "White Privilege"?

A myth constantly used to excuse others... nothing more, nothing less. Anytime I hear some moron say "white privilege" or even "white guilt" for that matter, I immediately tune out.

I often times wonder how things would be if events such as black wall street or the real rosewood never happened and the black(their is no such thing as a black race, what country is black ?)folk were allowed to built inforstruction and economy without interuption, then again that is the mans9or was ) biggest fear.

Didn't this happen in Africa? And fail miserably?

edit on 26-1-2015 by DerekJR321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerekJR321
What is "White Privilege"?

A myth constantly used to excuse others... nothing more, nothing less. Anytime I hear some moron say "white privilege" or even "white guilt" for that matter, I immediately tune out.

Didn't this happen in Africa? And fail miserably?

What failed miserably?? the colonialism part or the neo-colonialism part where instead of direct rule the West installed thugs like Mobutu Sese Seko, who helped with the ousting and murder of Patrice Lumumba who foolishly thought that his nation's wealth should be under the control of his Nation for the benefit of his people. or Edi Amin Dada a functional illiterate,ousted with the help of the West Milton Obete who thought the same,thank goodness those El-presidente for life are old and dying out,giving Africa a new chance which is taking place right now as we speak.
About what the other poster said about Black Wall St..it was a thing built by ex-slaves and proved to be a very successful community independent of White involvement but was an affront to white sensibilities when they moved nearby well the rest is history,but don't get it twisted this was the most dramatic but not the only successful pick your selves up by your boot strap community that got destroyed,there were many others and they never got rebuilt.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join