It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "White Privilege?"

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
You're right, it's not exactly fair to compare Japan to the U.S. for discrimination. I just thought my own experiences would help put the situation into perspective.
Well, for starters, in the context of this conversation...if non-whites are being spoken of in terms of 'the other'...in their own country, no less...does that not prove the point of a societal divide, and differences in home-grown 'privilege'?

Mind you, Irish and Italians(for example) have faced similar challenges, but it's obviously easier to enter the great melting pot if your colour corresponds.

mmmm, well of course there is a divide. And among the moronic and uneducated it is about Race

But mostly the divide is cultural, behavioral, as above in discussing Japan and why I enjoy it there so much... Give me a Black guy who likes Anime, doesn't have to act over macho has a good education spends a lot of time in front of a computer... i'll give you back my new best friend

Being from NY and having spent time in Tokyo i'll give you a prime example...

Brought my friend from Cali to NYC, we are on the Subway we reach a stop that has a HS by it... like 100 Black kids get on (didn't count lol) they start running from car to car, screaming a lot of obscenities, racial remarks throwing food wrappers all over and slamming doors....

Look over there is this poor guy, back against the chair, 3 shades paler than his usually way too white tone...

I certainly don't blame that on the color of anyone's skin, that would be retarded, it's definitive the upbringing and culture but unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that it runs the gamut between rude and offensive to most people of any race or culture to straight up scaring the crap out of people... and sadly, decent people who are totally cool get identified with it because of it... and i'd say like Japan or Japanese people having "identifying" traits they superimpose on people, it's not racism it's more like... PTSD lol and all it takes is talking for a moment and showing someone "okay i'm not going to randomly scream in your ear" for them to chill out rofl... And I wont lie... some people come off the NY subway with PTSD, even if it lasts a short time because it's not some concert induced thing it's like... everyday, if your older you don't know if you'll be knocked down or challenged to a fight or what, it's cultural and it's constant...

The mind just works he way it does, if everyday your shoved on the subway and screamed at by a certain "Color" your brain makes associations with that color person and unfortunately others who might be awesome people get that reaction because in a way it's reflex.

I can't get mad at people for having reactions to real world events, the truth the raw bottom line truth... Black on White crime is freaking rampant, i'm a 6ft guy, I took 11 years of martial arts and 23 yrs in NYC I have been attacked, randomly attacked at least, at least One Dozen times.... never once by a Caucasian a Latino or an Asian

I don't hate Black people, I like a lot of Black people actually but I damn well do look twice when one is walking at me... and if that can't be understood and i'm told that's racist because being randomly punched in the face bothers me lol... well tough shiz

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit
Ya know...you've made all my points for me.
The dividing line in a discussion of the veracity of white privilege in America...and Canada, to some extent...is drawn between those who get what I said in the above sentence, and those who don't. And if you don't get it now, I doubt you're going to.

You know that smug little feeling you have that you were born white? That's 'white privilege' a talkin' to you.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

The dividing line in a discussion of the veracity of white privilege in America...and Canada, to some extent...is drawn between those who get what I said in the above sentence, and those who don't. And if you don't get it now, I doubt you're going to.

You know that smug little feeling you have that you were born white? That's 'white privilege' a talkin' to you.

Do people really feel smug for having a certain skin color? I never really thought about that. Of course, I never really though "Boy I sure am glad I'm white" either. Skin color just never really mattered to me, despite my mother's best efforts (I love the old bat, but she had some leftover racism in her).

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I've never felt smug when I was born white. whats your point? White people are born privileged and hate all races? The most unhealthy part of the racism debate is that white people are the only race capable of it.
edit on 26-1-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
White privilege is easy.

White, heterosexual, Christian males, tend to have a slight advantage in life, just by being born. It's that simple. It's not that way in every country, but in the USA it is.

It doesn't mean that you can't overcome this issue or anything. Sometimes it's easy to do, with a little work, and other times it's a huge struggle.

Decades from now, we'll look back at Obama being elected to president and see that as a huge nail in the coffin of white privilege.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

"What is White Privilege?

The biggest problem with white privilege is the invisibility it maintains to those who benefit from it most.

Oh boy, the weak micro aggressive play is in full effect, but hey, we are all grown folks right?

I guess the caution in making a thread like this, is to avoid suddenly grouping everyone that identifies as white, or black, then assume they have this privilege and are fully aware of this super power, which in itself is naive and false, if it did really exist...(much sarcasm here)

I heard this term a long time ago and do have some knowledge of how it once worked, but for some reason, there has to be a guilt complex associated with it, there was even a conference (www.whiteprivilegeconference.com... ) that was created on the subject, once again reviving the term and keeping it alive but only by those that felt the need to express their victimization and being vilified I guess.

The smart and only the truly honest people will realize the truth, then admit it, and only those who are not really fully honest with themselves or living a sheltered life, take offense and are benefiting from this particular phenomenon, "white privilege" and refuse to return whatever it is they have gained from it, it just means they understand it, enjoy it and will keep the smug look on their faces when they realize one of the benefits has kicked in and therefore will go to great lengths to deny it's existence just to keep future benefits alive.

On the other hand, the people that knowingly have some clue, even if it's never having been profiled by police, walking into a certain department store or place of business, been followed around by clerks or other store personnel when they were just looking and had a pocketful of money or credit cards will quickly tell you, there is some truth to it's existence and will not deny this fact.

We also know that police are not the only ones that are capable of profiling or giving you that "what are you doing here look" , small things like being overlooked and someone waited on, that did not arrive before you who obviously had no reservations, other places where this subtle phenomenon gets the nod would be high end or exotic car galleries, exclusive members only clubs, golf courses, country clubs, VIP rooms or box seats or been profiled by either the staff there, or others.... this can also happen in certain workplaces, now is this so called " white privilege" the non existent privilege that you speak of ?

So I must say I mean I really do not feel that "white privilege" exists per se, but I do feel that the much bigger problem is denial and micro-aggression, which I must emphasize, are not completely race based phenomenon, but it is easy to see them, not so easy to recognize if you have not been black or in another persons shoes that might be a minority but they just deal with it as something to be expected, and unfortunately , as I said, this phenomenon does not always mean you have benefited from it by being either endowed with riches, or made better off, but we all know that if it did in fact exist, the knowing benefactors would be the first to deny it.

OP I think your next thread should be on micro aggression .

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Obama saved us all from the white heterosexual males! praise JEBUS! Democrats to the rescue! Please drink more of that kool aid its working

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Obama saved us all from the white heterosexual males! praise JEBUS! Democrats to the rescue! Please drink more of that kool aid its working

So you aren't capable of thinking outside the talk radio box and didn't really read what I posted?

I'll spell it out to you. It's sort of like the 4 minute mile. No one could do it until that first guy, now every great runner can beat the 4 minute mile.

Before Obama, there were no minority presidents. Now, everyone knows that with enough hard work, they can be president as well. If he did it, anyone can do it. That's all I'm saying. It's a huge milestone for minorities and a huge blow to white privilege.

There really is that advantage to being white...and male...and heterosexual...and Christian in the us. You don't realize that??? Really??

LOL

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Actually Obama has done more damage in the opposite direction.

And he's not finished yet.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Heck, I would have taken Herman Cain at least he had the 9-9-9 dominoes deal going for him with his platform.
edit on 2605America/Chicagopm31America/Chicago265 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

No he hasn't. Again, you missed the point. He's done more to combat inequality that many of you realize.

He isn't, but even if he was the worst president in history, minorities, in the long run, would still be better off.

It's that simple. You have to take a long view of history, not just...oh there was a riot in ferguson so he must be bad for race relations.... take the long view.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
Heck, I would have taken Herman Cain at least he had the 9-9-9 dominoes deal going for him with his platform.
The republican party wasn't ready for a black primary candidate. Though if he had made it I probably would have voted for him rather Obama.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

The republican party wasn't ready for a black primary candidate. Though if he had made it I probably would have voted for him rather Obama.

I don't think republicans are ready for any candidates... You know they're in dire straits when they are making Hillary look good to people.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: xuenchen

No he hasn't. Again, you missed the point. He's done more to combat inequality that many of you realize.

He isn't, but even if he was the worst president in history, minorities, in the long run, would still be better off.

It's that simple. You have to take a long view of history, not just...oh there was a riot in ferguson so he must be bad for race relations.... take the long view.

Yeah because Obama never sticks his nose in where it doesn't belong when it comes to racial issues..... If I had a son....

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yep back in the 70 when I was a youth I went to CERTA it was a federal government program to get job training. Went in filled out the paper work and was kindly told I did not qualify. I asked what it would take to qualify and they told me if I was a minority or a female they could get me training. But since I was just a young poor white male they could not do anything for me except help me find a job. That they did and I was and am grateful for that fact. Today I am seeing older white guys getting marginalized out of the work force by young minorities, females and gays. Hr says it's just my imagination what do I know except there is not one male in HR. So i guess I'm just imagining all this and only have around 5 years left before they put me out to pasture.
a reply to: Jamie1

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You are spouting nothing other than a line, a line a regurgitated media slogan, a propaganda.

"If you don't get it now you never will"

That's utter nonsense, I have the same thing to say to African Americans I have to say to racist Whites who are so awfully concerned about Latino immigration...

If you don't like it, have more kids, work harder, look at yourself and figure out why your loosing your jobs to these people and why your economically ill fated because no one can change it but you.

And I do "Get It" there are things about being a minority that suck, but as I offered I have preference to BEING a minority in some cultures and while it isn't an exact simulation of being Black in America where there is "some" racism of a hate bent variety MOST of what is offered is petty and not substantial enough to hold any one back

And please... don't tell a Jewish guy currently residing in Northern AZ about hate bent variety Racism, just being on ATS I deal with listening to a dozen comments a day about being part of fictional illuminati plans, every time a make a buck around here some redneck makes a remark ending in "jew" and I know full well about real Hate

When I listen to Black people talk about being watched in stores and hear them tell me I don't "get it" basically i want to laugh, youth culture jocks their style, they get a million forms of aid and if I have no choice to be in a neighborhood and some random jerk attacks me if I defend myself I risk being accused of Racism loosing my job my reputation and my freedom over it and those are all things I BUILT and nothing about being white got them for me.

The stark reality is the the violence perpetrated by Blacks on Whites is never ending, there is a portion of the community that will never actually integrate, what those individuals call a culture is anything that aggravates White people not an actual set of rules developed over time so people function well together and it is all hatred based on the past...

Sorry but, My Japanese friends understand what it is to rebuild a nation after Two Atomic bombs were dropped and their nation was Occupied by enemy forces, My family understands what it is to rebuild lives after a Holocaust, The Chinese became the no 1 economy in the world when 40 years ago it was all rice paddies and hey had gotten beaten up severely by first British Colonialism and then the Japanese. The Koreans had a Civil war that was never resolved, The Indians kicked out the British by killing no one, The Germans were carpet bombed then half their nation was held by the Soviets for 60 years and they are the number one economy in Europe AND they did that in under 20 years from the fall of the Wall not 40 years after the civil rights movement.

So yeah, I get it, I get being Hated for no reason when I wasn't around or personally did anything because that's the way inner city Blacks act to me, I get wanting to be the majority say in a society when you represent 12% of the people, I get using tragedy as an excuse to forever be held back and expect handouts, I get that some people think they can be loud and obnoxious even to cops and don't understand that scares people, I get that Killing more Caucasian Americans than soldiers died in the civil war is okay because of some smack that went on in the past even though surely some of those people marched for them, I get complaining you have no rights in Ferguson as example is just fine even though 14% of the people voted...

I get it, I get that half the Black Community left the Ghetto after the civil rights movement and LEFT the other half who hang on to it all behind and now life is more dire for those who remained, I also get that White people gladly move out of the sticks for jobs an acceptance too...

I get that there will always be White people who live in a swamp and never get jobs and are alcoholics and blame the government or the Blacks or the Jews, I get that the inner cities will always have angry Brothers that got left behind because they were pimpin or bangin and not doing the right thing and who get shot by the cops, I get that in our new crops of immigrants there will be gangs and drugs and the insecure will take these routes then find somebody to blame...

And I get that the rest of Us move on and deal with reality, Black, White, Jew, Muslim, Asian Latino, Christian, Catholic.... MOST of America Get's Along, that's the reality of every day life, we move along ignore the minor slights find people who care about us from all walks of life and ONLY, ONLY when the fringe, those who disenfranchised themselves, the extremists, the truly racist, start acting out do we get SCARED and this topic even comes up and do sides get taken...

And in regards to this topic, let me be entirely clear Black people can be Racist, theirs live in the inner cities just like ours live very often in the swamps and crap holes of America, it's certainly not everybody in those locations but we ALL Black and White know them when we see them, they don't get educated they do get f'd up constantly on both sides of the coin they abuse welfare and every problem they have is SOMEONE else's fault be it in history or govt or by race, they intentionally dress differently and for intimidation purposes, have their own speech to isolate themselves, refuse to behave in ways conducive to having a job or even respecting others and the biggest thing about your your Ghetto thugs and white trash loosers is they ALL constant bring up RACE trying to divide the rest of us who actually function because they want you to be scared into VALIDATING their absolute and utter bs behavior.

And you sir buy into it and wear that crap like a merit badge.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: JDmOKI

So you aren't capable of thinking outside the talk radio box and didn't really read what I posted?

I'll spell it out to you. It's sort of like the 4 minute mile. No one could do it until that first guy, now every great runner can beat the 4 minute mile.

Before Obama, there were no minority presidents. Now, everyone knows that with enough hard work, they can be president as well. If he did it, anyone can do it. That's all I'm saying. It's a huge milestone for minorities and a huge blow to white privilege.

There really is that advantage to being white...and male...and heterosexual...and Christian in the us. You don't realize that??? Really??

LOL

Obama kind of stinks as a foreign policy president imho, he's sorta cool internally, I'm pro a degree of socialism honestly, poverty kills, so he gets a B in that regard...again Imho only of course.

But this i'll give up in a heart beat

Thank freakin God young Black males have an actual role model, it has helped tremendously, as I said above I view all this "new racism" crap to be because demographically a large percentage of Blacks have integrated and left the ghettos behind leaving honestly a terrible hole where literally entire communities, entire cities like Detroit with nary an educated brother in sight because those Brothers moved straight to Bougie Black Burbs or straight to white neighborhoods the minute the racism calmed down...which it did. and kids are sadly born into this and they need proof living proof that escape can still happen.

On that note Three cheers for Obama, but I doubt it will change much for your typical hood rat any more than having a white president does for a kid in Arkansas whose mom sells meth such as life is... It has, though it is visible it has changed a lot in better locations.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I know that's a joke...

But I would have taken Herman too over Obama actually

Cain, well even that joke with the 9-9-9 (starting tax on sim cty btw)was funny and he was pointing out how stupid people let themselves become, he was of a Good Humor and more intelligent than he lets on, but most of all he had no chip on his shoulder and I feel like Obama does, he's waaaay to out to prove something unlike herman i think he is activist and damaged by race and intends to show the whole world what "A Black man can do" and internationally he's stepping on a lot of toes and could get a lot of people killed.

I think the typical white psuedo racist opinion would be to look at Herman and say...wow he's really Black, lol... because he is and Obama well..he isn't even Black he's Mulatto, but I think he'd have been the kinder , gentler President. Obama gives me concerns about global war honestly, I'll be happy when he's gone to be honest about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Some black ladies gave the white guy a pass, the black guy was more aggressive in his response to questions, and guys assumed the pretty girl wasn't a thief and even tried to help her but the women were less likely to give her a break.

And I said blacks internalized this attitude themselves,the 4th vid also made this clear.oh they knew she was a thief even after she told them that it wasn't hers ,some even gave her a hand after that fact was known,the Black kid acting more aggressive??? sorry I didn't see that ,he answered with the same lines as the white guy and noticed the immediate response to the black guy when he was the thief.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I call bs on the whole thing it's a setup... it's a Black kid in a White neighborhood, it might not be 100% right but people know or at least feel when someone is an "outsider" and they are going to be more questioning, this relates to the whole page of back and forth on the issue of how being a Gaijin in Japan feels, the word literally means outsider your going to be questioned more they don't have reason to assume your going to be following the cultural norms or not, it's natural.

I'd be willing to do several variations of this study... I'd go to the same white neighborhood being white dressed and only dressed out of place I guarantee i'd get the same reaction as the Black kid if I was wearing gang attire, if I just looked poorly dressed as in really poor if I was looking Goth or like a Metal head or Punk, same sots of assumptions would be made...

The brain is TRAINED to look for things out of place and being Black there doing that is out of place, a White preppy kid isn't and YES it is coupled with the fact that there is a seriously disproportionate percentage of Black teens that commit crimes and assumptions will be made...

I'd also guarantee that if I was in a black neighborhood doing the same thing i'd get almost the same reaction, "who the hell is this guy" it's out of place and that's all

It shouldn't be degraded to blatant racism, there IS a Race element but it's not fair to call this Racism...

Guess what? In he hood everyone assumes I'm a cop... why would that be lol? That's not Racism it's PROBABILITY

Gosh if I had a dollar back in the "pre medicinal" stage of things for every time I had to say "naw man i'm not a cop" I'd be a global elite lol, it's not insulting, there'a good chance me being there I could be a cop lol...
edit on 26-1-2015 by criticalhit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join