It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is "White Privilege?"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
White privileges is a set of assumptions,it has little to do with wealth,education or dress,even before it had a name many black folks as well as others knew it exists,sure many wealthy Blacks can shield themselves from some of it by being wealthy,ie they can be chauffeured around in a limo instead of a taxi,but that's no guarantee that, at that high end party you are attending some dip----st won't asked you to park his car or asking you to get them their drinks.

Blacks Vs Whites liberating abandoned bike.

Catching a cab,while not wearing a hoodie

Shopping while Black
The above vids are kinda funny but not so funny when trying to find employment get a loan or encounters with law enforcement or judges.
Here is an anecdote, way back in the days as teens we liked building our own radios and like early teens almost everywhere we lacked the funds to buy parts ,our white friends would volunteer to get parts by boosting it from Radio Shack, however they had one rule non of us jellybeans can accompany them on their mission..why?? the clerks and security were very attentive when it came to jellybeans so they walked right in and shopped without paying,now think about that for a second where in the world did they get the idea that they could get away with shoplifting while we couldn't.

The most tragic thing about white privileges is it is learnt by everyone but
internalized by Black kids themselves.the same test was done in the 60ts same results .
This is not raw racism this is on a subconscious level the parents are not necessarily bad people .
edit on 25-1-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Big companies actively search for and recruit diverse talent because they are well aware of people like you.

Glad to hear that my Internet forum blabbering is making a difference! Hey maybe it is:

source - Fortune

Of course, those women make 82% of what their male counterparts do on average.

If women want to take the top spot, they ought to act like men, and by that I mean work exactly the same hours, no time off for children or family. Stop wanting the amount of flex time they generally do, etc. Those things slow down female job progression. Those women who do are generally as successful as their male counterparts, but most women don't want to make that sacrifice because, go figure, we women tend to want to be women and want home, hearth and family. Women who fall outside that norm do just fine.

And there is no shame at all in that no matter which way a woman goes for all the feminists try to shame you into thinking there ought to be.

I guess they could always trying being a bit more manly — growing beards perhaps — and maybe get another nickel! Then again, maybe you're just wrong:

source - Fortune

edit on 2015-1-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Wow that last video was so sad. I had no idea that was such an issue for young black children. I can't imagine knowing that one of my kids thinks their ugly just because of their skin color.
I tried it on my four year old daughter with a pic on my phone and got the same results. Then we had a really good talk about how skin color doesn't define character...in words she could understand of course.
If I had just tried this on my my daughter without watching the video I would have thought, well she just likes what looks like her. I still think that's the case, but how sad that black children don't have the same reaction.

posted on Jan, 25 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JessicaRabbitTx
a reply to: Spider879
Wow that last video was so sad. I had no idea that was such an issue for young black children. I can't imagine knowing that one of my kids thinks their ugly just because of their skin color.
I tried it on my four year old daughter with a pic on my phone and got the same results. Then we had a really good talk about how skin color doesn't define character...in words she could understand of course.
If I had just tried this on my my daughter without watching the video I would have thought, well she just likes what looks like her. I still think that's the case, but how sad that black children don't have the same reaction.

You are a great Mom,but kids are very perceptive they hear things on T.V or other media listening to grown-up's conversations,they may not understand everything but they get it,Black kids are exposed to the same info as your daughter and will take away the same lessons only difference is,it is they who are the subject,I grew-up in a slightly different culture as a youngster my self image or world view was different ,in the US Black kids have to fight their way out of that perception about themselves,sometimes successfully sometimes not, so a lot of this turn in on itself to destructive behavior which in turn reinforced preconceived notions about blackness or what is expected of Blacks.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Just wondering, if you were still dodging my post..

You pre-frame your belief with an ad hominem attack on anybody who may disagree with what you're about to say.

If you believe the sky is red and I call you ignorant of the facts because it is indeed blue, that is adhominem, THIS is the definition, of adhominem:

So If you falsely believe, that a black and a white man in America have the same chance of success, then it's not adhominem to call you wrong. Or ignorant, as in not knowing, not in the 'you're stupid' category.

You are making that claim. How do you define "success" and "easier?"

Let's see:

1. Education ( white schools are better than black ones, almost all the time.)

This is due to us ignoring the problems plaguing intercity schools, promoting the idea of social promotions and ignoring the causes of joblessness, poverty and incarceration amongts African Americans.

2. The Law

You are more likely to be arrested, or stoped by police, while black or latino, than a white person. You are more likely to be considered a 'suspicious' person.

I define success as the ability to become a member of the middle class, and raise yourself out of the poverty line.

Your claim is not provable. Just an opinion. Labeling those who disagree with it as somehow inferior demonstrates the nature of how indoctrination and brainwashing works.

No, but it is. Just look at the stats. You are ignoring the facts, because your opinion and ideology, outweigh your willingness to admit that one of these things are not like the other.

Here are 15 Charts that show how much easier it is to be white than a minority.

I never labelled anybody as inferior, I said that they were LYING, or IGNORANT, which doesn't mean you're stupid, it means you don't know about a thing.

~Tenth
edit on 1/25/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Affirmative action shows that institutionally, non-whites and non-males are favoured. There's a very fine line between white privilege and white envy.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
White privileges is a set of assumptions,it has little to do with wealth,education or dress,even before it had a name many black folks as well as others knew it exists,sure many wealthy Blacks can shield themselves from some of it by being wealthy,ie they can be chauffeured around in a limo instead of a taxi,but that's no guarantee that, at that high end party you are attending some dip----st won't asked you to park his car or asking you to get them their drinks.

Blacks Vs Whites liberating abandoned bike.

Catching a cab,while not wearing a hoodie

Shopping while Black
The above vids are kinda funny but not so funny when trying to find employment get a loan or encounters with law enforcement or judges.
Here is an anecdote, way back in the days as teens we liked building our own radios and like early teens almost everywhere we lacked the funds to buy parts ,our white friends would volunteer to get parts by boosting it from Radio Shack, however they had one rule non of us jellybeans can accompany them on their mission..why?? the clerks and security were very attentive when it came to jellybeans so they walked right in and shopped without paying,now think about that for a second where in the world did they get the idea that they could get away with shoplifting while we couldn't.

The most tragic thing about white privileges is it is learnt by everyone but
internalized by Black kids themselves.the same test was done in the 60ts same results .
This is not raw racism this is on a subconscious level the parents are not necessarily bad people .

I'm wondering if you even watched the whole first video. Some black ladies gave the white guy a pass, the black guy was more aggressive in his response to questions, and guys assumed the pretty girl wasn't a thief and even tried to help her but the women were less likely to give her a break. The video really doesn't make good evidence for the claimed conclusions.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
White privilege is something "progressive" white people use to stop any argument on race that they are losing.

Nothing more.

I live in Japan, but you don't hear people here complaining about "Jap Privilege". Seems to be a purely American term, actually.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
I never labelled anybody as inferior, I said that they were LYING, or IGNORANT, which doesn't mean you're stupid, it means you don't know about a thing.

~Tenth

One who does not know the difference between correlation and causation is ignorant.

And I never brought up "black" in the discussion. Maybe you should start your own thread on how difficult you think it is to be "black."

This thread is about the definition of "white privilege" which claims whites are inherently racist without even being aware they're racists, and their objection to being labeled a racist is "proof" they're racists.

By the way, being successful in any area, say education success, or business success, doesn't mean it was EASIER.

It means people did what was necessary to become successful.

It's not their fault that others didn't.

Likewise, when somebody chooses to use drugs, that's their personal choice. I'm surprised you think it has anything to do with the color of a person's skin.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

So white privilege caused this? Ever think that they're more likely to commit crime? Of course, yes yes, I know, but the white man forces them to live in filth, denies them benefits, refuses to allow them to advance, etc, etc.

Affirmative action, scholarships, racial quotas, black supremacy in the media. Yes, it's all the white man's fault.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Actually, white women have benefited the most from affirmative action and not minorities.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Poor poor white people. How dare someone imply you have an advantage over minorities?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg
I do believe if George Zimmerman had a Hispanic last name, he would have been found guilty. The national media would also not have made a spectacle out of it. It would have made page 10 news with all the other 'minority on minority' crimes.

And don't get me started on Casey Anthony....

The realprivileged is rich people who can buy the justice system.

I know right. Just like OJ Simpson, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jackson. Buying the justice system is a crock!

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
Poor poor white people. How dare someone imply you have an advantage over minorities?

You're entirely missing the point.

Making the claim of "white privilege" does NOT hurt white people.

It's a indoctrination strategy that disempowers minorities by brainwashing them that their lack of success is out of their control, and caused by things out of their control.

Imagine teaching this to children. "Sorry, you're at a disadvantage. You'll never get good grades because the 'system' is stacked against you."

If you taught that to a child it would be child abuse. Almost evil.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I think it's just as stereotypical to to assume that most black people believe in this white privilege. Really what's the point of discussing it other than to point out that black people are doing something wrong by using this term?
If we're going to talk about how some black people judge us by our skin color then let's admit that many of us do the same to them and every other race.
Not everyone is going to like you and sometimes they don't have a good reason for it. I get it. It's sometimes used as an excuse or a put down, which isn't a good thing, but lets stop focusing on the negatives.
I'm not sure how discussing the "genius" of this stereotype is going result in anything but more anger directed another group of people. It's time to stop giving small minded ideas undeserved attention. Stop fanning the flames and it'll burn it's self out.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Ok yea I do agree that it's harmful to our society when I see it that way, but I don't think us white people can do anything about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
Because they don't. Not really, anyway.

Minorities get FAR more opportunities for Education than white people, for one. There are grants and scholarships for just about every flavor of minority, yet ZERO "White" scholarships.

Affirmative Action ensures that regardless of skill level, two people being equally qualified yet of different races, the minority member is more likely to land the job to pad "diversity" numbers.

Social programs like Welfare help prop up struggling minorities, yet a white family in the very same situation may get denied benefits by race alone.

I could go on. Is there still a problem with race in America? Absolutely. It's perpetuated by the hip-hop industry and the people who make money on the division of the people. Follow the funds, and you'll always find your culprits.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Precisely! Benefits usually go to minorities first out of fairness. Then they get help with education, the teachers look the other way if they don't show up for class, they get preferable spots on job placement lists, all kinds of help.

Sure white privilege existed. But now it's "You're white? You're automatically racist, awkward, ignorant, privileged". "You're black? Here's your benefits, scholarships, and if any of those white animals bother you cry racism and we'll all come running to help you."

Hypocrites.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JessicaRabbitTx
I think it's just as stereotypical to to assume that most black people believe in this white privilege. Really what's the point of discussing it other than to point out that black people are doing something wrong by using this term?
If we're going to talk about how some black people judge us by our skin color then let's admit that many of us do the same to them and every other race.
Not everyone is going to like you and sometimes they don't have a good reason for it. I get it. It's sometimes used as an excuse or a put down, which isn't a good thing, but lets stop focusing on the negatives.
I'm not sure how discussing the "genius" of this stereotype is going result in anything but more anger directed another group of people. It's time to stop giving small minded ideas undeserved attention. Stop fanning the flames and it'll burn it's self out.

The only people I've ever heard use this term are white liberal academics and the students they teach.

The brilliance of this indoctrination strategy is defining it, then making part of the definition self-fulfilling. If somebody objects to the definition, then it "proves" the thesis.

Look around at other places this same strategy is used. It's everywhere.

Step 1: Tell people the "truth."
Step 2: Tell people those who disagree with the "truth" are idiots, thus "proving" you're right when they invariably disagree.

It's everywhere. It works because people aren't aware of the strategy being used.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

And I never brought up "black" in the discussion. Maybe you should start your own thread on how difficult you think it is to be "black."

So now we are changing the goal posts? Your thread discusses white privilege, obviously in relation to other races. It would only make sense to bring up what kind of privilege white people have, as opposed to other races.

Like the fact that whites enjoy 19% shorter prison sentences than blacks. Is that not either racism, or white privilege at work?

This thread is about the definition of "white privilege" which claims whites are inherently racist without even being aware they're racists, and their objection to being labeled a racist is "proof" they're racists.

I think your definition of white privilege and mine differ. I don't' think whites are inherently racist, that's stupid. I don't think saying they aren't racist is proof of it either. But the fact remains that White folk, enjoy privilege, whether they know it or not, and whether they want to or not.

It's just a reality based in fact. Like the dozens of facts I posted in my previous post, that you conveniently ignored.

By the way, being successful in any area, say education success, or business success, doesn't mean it was EASIER.

It is if they had:

-Higher income
-Better Schools
-Parents who aren't in jail for minor drug convictions.

The list goes on. Yes it can be EASIER to be successful, don't be silly.

It's not their fault that others didn't.

Nobody is at fault, it's not like white people got together and made sure that minorities were screwed in the year 2015. The systems we've set up and not changed in decades are what are failing them.

Likewise, when somebody chooses to use drugs, that's their personal choice. I'm surprised you think it has anything to do with the color of a person's skin.

As listed in the stats I provided, white people do drugs as much as minorities do, yet minorities have significantly higher chances of being arrested and jailed for it, with longer sentences.

If you don't see the 'privilege' in that, then please explain to me what it is.

~Tenth

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join