It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Dragon's Lament [DRG2015]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Justin had been searching for bird eggs along the cliff face when he discovered the opening. He was initially reluctant to crawl through the brush for fear of breaking the eggs in his bag. He decided to return home with his bounty and return later to explore. It must surely be a pirates cave, he was sure it was full of treasure.

When he got home he told no one what he had found. He wanted the treasure to be all his. He was excited about the possibility of ending his family's poverty. They would be so proud of him. So driven by his childhood fantasy he armed himself with a torch and made his way back to the cave. He found that by crawling on his hands and knees he could gain access. Once he cleared the brush he stood and lit the torch. It burned acrid and sputtered as he made his way in.

The inside of the cave shown with flecks of gold and a strange luminosity that exceeded the light given from his torch. He extinguished the torch when he realized he didn't need it. Now as his eyes adjusted to the light of the cave he sensed he was in a magical place. It smelled of a strange aroma, one he had never smelled before. It was earthy with notes of leather and musk. Pungent but not overpowering it hinted at life.

He made his way deeper into the cave, surprisingly without any sense of fear. He was expecting that surely he would find a chest full of gold and gems just around the next corner. So it was with great surprise he rounded a corner and there before his eyes was what looked like a nest and there resting in the middle of it was a large egg, the size of a mellon. Justin approached slowly marveling at its color which seemed to change with the light and it shimmered iridescent between a deep blue and velvety green.

He bent down and attempted to pick it up but found it was quite heavy. He lifted with all his might and brought it up and cradled it against his chest. He was shocked to find that it was warm and he sensed there was movement inside. As he held it he could feel it had a heartbeat that seemed to mimic his own. Then something unexpected began to occur as a small crack began to occur. Quickly it grew in size and then to his amazement a leathery head appeared and he found himself face to face with the creature. As he looked into it's eyes he found himself speaking softly as if to reassure it that it was safe. It began to coo like a baby and he found himself gently rocking it.

The creature continued it's escape from the shell and Justin helped remove the remaining pieces. He then sat down with the creature and watched it as it became more an more recognizable. But surely this can't be real because everyone knew there was no such thing as a dragon. Then he watched as it unfurled its wings and shook them open. They were iridescent as well and when unfurled were quite large for the size of the dragon.

Then it was with great surprise Justin found himself answering questions in his mind. Somehow the creature was speaking to him telepathically. It was asking him who he was and why he had awakened him. Justin introduced himself and explained he didn't understand. The dragon then introduced himself as Paden The Young, young because this was the day of his birth. “For you Justin have called me forth, what may I do for you?” Justin stammered as he tried to answer. “I don't know.”

Paden then asked him if Merlin was near by and wondered if Merlin could provide help. Justin then explained that Merlin was no longer around. That most people felt Merlin was just a myth anyway. “What year is this then,” he asked. “Why it's 2015,” Justin answered.

Paden appeared very disturbed by this fact. “Then I have slept through the years of magic,” he lamented. “I was placed here by mother to await the time I would be called up by Merlin,” he went on to explain. “This must be the time of darkness prophesied by the seers.The time when men would depart from magic in a vain pursuit of reason and science.”

Justin could feel Paden's sorrow and he found himself crying along with Paden. Their tears flowed together. Paden then spoke these words to Justin. “Because you have believed in me and shared my sorrow I shall return to my shell and await the time when man once again returns to magic.” “Thank you Justin and because you will keep my secret I shall reward you.” With those words their tears melded into a new shell and enclosed Paden once again. This time though, it shown with a golden sheen and there in the nest surrounding it were nuggets of gold. Justin picked them up and filled his bag and left for home to never return.
edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: (no reason given)

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: spelling

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I enjoyed it, S&F.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: grayeagle

I've been waiting for your entry! You have such a way with imagery, grayeagle, it's extraordinary. You always manage to transport me into the heart of your story - you make it real.

Sometimes it is enough to believe in someone and share their sorrow, to bring transformation. Absolutely beautiful, S&F

B x

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: beansidhe

Your words are such an encouragement! I enjoy writing a lot. I have recently been busy getting my jewelry and art show together so most of November and December were a busy time. I just had to get back to writing and who could miss a chance to speak of dragons? Thank you again for your kind words.

Peace to you my friend.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Very nice merging of history within your story.

I enjoyed it immensely.

P

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I am happy to have found a Story here from You!!
A perfect bedtime tale for Me to finish My day off here at ATS!!
Beautiful Imagery and Feel here!!! I loved It!!!

Great Story!!!!!!
Syx.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Wonderful dragon tale! Really enjoyed this!!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who has commented. I sure appreciate all you writers and future writers taking the time to stop by. It is so fun reading everyone's contribution and how so often they contain elements that connect us all.

Life is so cool! I would love to lift a pint with you all.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Wouldn't be right for Me to NOT give a SyxPak!!!!!! LOL!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Hello friend!
I loved your story! Such a nice writing style...a pleasure to read.

You don't happen to make 'dragon' jewelry...do you? I would want a piece...judging by the overwhelming response to this theme...a LOT of people would want a piece!!

S&F
jacygirl

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I have posted some of my current jewelry pursuit here under member art called Funky Junk www.abovetopsecret.com... I might be interested in looking at doing some dragon jewelry made out of manzanita wood. Message me if interested. Thanks for your comments and I always enjoy your writing as well.
edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: add link

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I'm going to look at your 'Funky Junk" page now, lol.

I would love to order something, however my partner is laid off during the winter, so for a few more months, all purchases can only be necessities.

Okay...I had a look. Wow, really different...almost futuristic! Definitely stuff I would wear...I always like to be different.

I am so impressed.
jacy

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Thank you! I will work on some dragon jewelry and will post on Funky Junk page and then message you to look at it. It is all a hobby I do to raise money for non-profits. Peace to you my Canadien neighbor.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I could almost smell that cave!

s&f

Great story!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Thanks for reading and commenting. I utilize my nose a lot. Smell is something I utilize to ground me. When I visit the forest I literally spend time inhaling the various fragrances of nature, from pine needles to ferns, and even the smell of the rocks. Our strongest memories are connected to smells. I try to describe them in familiar terms when I write.
Peace.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Ummm...WOW GrayEagle...such wonderful imagery..."their tears melded into a new shell"...

Too bad it was only gold that he was gifted with...and not a little magic.......although come to think of it an experience like that would seem magical in and of itself...

I totally agree about the "vain pursuit of reason and science"...I think that's what will bring about the fall of mankind...

Thank you

YouSir

join