It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did I Catch An EVP? Help, Please!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Apologies in advance for a lengthy post, but bear with me.

Okay, I need help with a possible EVP. I know nothing about these things, except what I see on television, and I lack the equipment or skill to actually analyze the recording. Hopefully that's where my amazing friends at ATS can come into play.

The situation: this past weekend my family took a trip to Beaufort, NC. For those unfamiliar with that area, it's part of the Outer Banks and the infamous Blackbeard lived there for a time. Lots of history and such.

While there, we signed up for one of the ghost walks through Beaufort. I love this type of thing; I like the history side of the tour and the tiniest hint of the supernatural. I also admire the storytelling skills, but overall I'm skeptical about the validity of the stories. I do like to return to such locations later, I guess out of supernatural curiosity.

During the tour our guide showed us an old but beautiful graveyard. One of he graves stood out from the others. That's because it was covered in toys.

The guide explained that 300 or so years ago, an 11 year old girl died while at sea with her father. He brought her home to Beaufort to bury her, and there she lies. I'm not quite sure how the tradition of leaving toys for her began, but it's been going on for a long time.

She's buried in the children's area of the graveyard, and supposedly when the caretakers open the graveyard in the morning they will find the toys scattered on the graves of the other children. A story which I'm highly skeptical of, but it does make for a good tale.

The tour was on Saturday night; on Monday my family visited the graveyard for a closer look. My son wanted to leave one of his toy trucks for the little girl, and I acquiesced. We were the only people in the graveyard, and for fun I turned on my voice recording app on my iPad. Supposedly, the app will not only record in high quality, it also detects the EMF levels of the area. Now, I'm aware this is hardly scientific equipment, but nevertheless it's fun to use in such places.

Here's where I need your help. In listening to the recording, I think I might actually have caught something. I'm going to try my best to upload it here via Soundcloud, but since I've never tried that, apologies if I good it up.

The recording is less than a minute long. In it, you will hear myself, my husband, and my son talking. At one point I say it's not detecting any EMF levels. In fact, it was; I was reading it incorrectly. The baseline reading when we were across the street was 29.1, during this particular recording it was in the 3,000s with a peak of 3, 387.

I won't tell you exactly what I think I hear or when, because I don't want to plant a suggestion in your mind. If necessary, I can point the exact time out later.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your opinions, ATS. Thanks!

soundcloud.com...

edit on 19-1-2015 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: smyleegrl

Ummmmmm......anyone know how to upload a voice recording from soundcloud?

You should be able to post a link to your soundcloud file:

help.soundcloud.com...

Though this might expose your soundcloud username or account to people clicking on the link, not too sure.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

Thanks! I'll try to put it in the op now.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The free audio program Audacity is particularly useful in for this kind of thing. It has flexible noise reduction and other kinds of filters that allow you to isolate the anomalous sound.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Yeah, you have to be careful with it though. I screwed up my first ever EVP using audacity.
But yep, it does work great!

I can't hear anything in the recording, but I blame that on crappy headphones.
edit on 19-1-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
I can't hear anything in the recording, but I blame that on crappy headphones.

Contamination by outside noise or radio sources is a huge problem with EVPs. Also tummy grumbles.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I can hear what sounds to be like somebody trying to talk. That whole "ghostly whisper" thing where it sounds like somebody breathing heavily while talking, as if having to force the words out. Definitely once, possibly two or three times.

I can't make a dadgum thing beyond that though.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I hear "well, wouldn't you really know?" At 25 seconds the voice sounds different to me. Is that the one you are referring to ??a reply to: smyleegrl

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

YES,!!! I a so glad someone else heard it. My husband and I know it's not our son's voice, but I thought perhaps my mind was playing tricks on me.

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: smyleegrl

Awesome, Smyleegrl!!

AT the 21 mark I heard what sounded like heavy breathing, and around the 26 mark I heard a high-toned voice, but couldn't make out what it was saying. I'm not using my ear buds at the moment. I'll give this a better listen when I find them.

S&F!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I can't hear anything!

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Let me be a little more clear about what to listen for. First of all, it's a clearly audible child's voice, nothing in the white noise or between sounds. It occurs right after my son asks "what's an ept?" and I answer him. The next voice is NOT his. I know, because my son was standing right next to me, pointing at the meter display, and didn't talk until he mentioned the little girl.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

WOW "do you hear me now ?"
clear as day to me, that's cool. Great catch.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Yes, very clearly hear the voice. Still can't tell what it is saying without my ear buds, but the last words I heard said something about a "little girl".

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

without reading ANY comments, i heard either 'well if you see me let me know' or 'well lets see who's with me now'

i'd have to copy it and slow it down and amplify it to know for sure.

i find children are better at speaking.

top topics

join