It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope says those who insult religion should expect a punch on the nose

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
The latest voice to weigh in on the Paris attacks is none other than the Pontiff himself, stating that if one insults religion, one can expect a 'punch on the nose'.

www.theage.com.au...

Rome: The Pope has weighed in to the debate over freedom of expression in the wake of the Paris attacks, saying that anyone who insults a religion can expect "a punch on the nose".

In provocative remarks that may cause consternation in France, Pope Francis said that freedom of expression had its limits.

and this

Gesturing towards Alberto Gasparri, a Vatican official who was next to him on board the plane, he said: "If my good friend Dr Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch on the nose". Throwing a pretend punch, the Pope said: "It's normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others".

I personally think there is an enormous difference between a massacre, and a 'punch on the nose', and the the Pope's comments here are out of line, and do nothing except perhaps appease those who would fear and intimidate others.

I have no problem with the idea of respecting the religion of others, but to suggest this behaviour is somehow justified is disgraceful and should be condemned. Do we live in a society where we need to be so fearful of offending others that we have to self-censor everything we say? Do we need fear that someone will pull out a weapon and massacre civilians en-masse for something that insults some invisible being in the sky, or their supposed representative or prophet or whatever? When did society move back into the dark ages? Wasn't one inquisition enough?

edit on 15-1-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I am beginning to wonder about this old fellow.

Maybe he is the last pope.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The Catholic Church doled out a few "punches to the nose" in their days. AMMIRITE?

I am sure anything that is a threat to these control systems deserve *snot-box-reconstruction* in their minds.

Who woulda thunk it?

Calling someone on their BS deserves a punch on the nose?

Sweet, dont cry when you get mollywhopped back.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
He's catholic. Move along.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Why should religion have the privilege of being protected from criticism or satire? I find the whole idea of this offensive, yet I am not offended to the extent where I feel I need to go to my local church and slaughter everyone in site. In fact, I do not feel inclined to give my local bible basher a bloody nose over this outburst, despite the fact I am offended by these words.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold
The latest voice to weigh in on the Paris attacks is none other than the Pontiff himself, stating that if one insults religion, one can expect a 'punch on the nose'.

What happened to turning the other cheek?
Turning the other cheek

Turning the other cheek is a phrase in Christian doctrine that refers to responding to insult without revenge.

No punchin' noses there..

edit on 15/1/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

Is that another way of twerking?

What does turning the other cheek even mean.
As a physial action. it is either shaking ones head or uhh. the other cheeks. Turning the other cheek correct?

I never understood that term and how it made any sense.
edit on 15-1-2015 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Someone who molests children should get worse...

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Perhaps this is the Popes idea to start the new Inquisition.

That would go down well with non believers.....or off with their heads.....that is, after we torture and rape them, then rip them limb by limb...
Ah the good ol Christians days...when all priests were sadistic pedos.........ahhhh.
edit on 15-1-2015 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Who the hell is he to tell me who I can and can't insult and then he threatens violence on top of that? And isn't it all in the eye (ear) of the beholder anyways? Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me...sounds jeesusy to me.

Good to see the pope promoting violence and condemning free speech. That's just more pope like. Who was this guy kidding with all the social justice crap anyway?
edit on thppmThu, 15 Jan 2015 18:03:07 -0600k1501America/Chicago1503 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Disciples Chapter 1, Verse 1-2:

"(1)And Lo...
Jesus said to his disciples "Turn the other Cheek"...

"And then give them a punch in the face because That is the Word..."

(2)"And the Word is intolerance..."

"Do this in memory of me... After you pay your indulgent fee!"

edit on 15-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Half the credit goes to the2ofusr1!!!

edit on 15-1-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Yeah, not cool Mr Popey, I really liked you up until this statement.

What ever happened to the old statement 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth' i.e respond like for like with action, instead of escalating it?

If someone physically attacks a person for their faith, I'm on board - it's fisty cuffs all the way. But if someone publishes a cartoon of Mohammed and the people who drew it get murdered, I'm not down with that.

And P.S Mr Hyporcrite, why have you not sent in the Swiss guard to murder the people who sinfully draw pictures of God?
edit on 15-1-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Why should religion have the privilege of being protected from criticism or satire? I find the whole idea of this offensive, yet I am not offended to the extent where I feel I need to go to my local church and slaughter everyone in site. In fact, I do not feel inclined to give my local bible basher a bloody nose over this outburst, despite the fact I am offended by these words.

I'm sorry, where did the CATHOLIC Pope say that ISLAM should have some sort of privilege? He simply made a statement that purposefully offending someone else's religion is wrong. He also said in the same statement:

"One cannot offend, make war, kill in the name of one’s own religion" and "To kill in the name of God is an aberration."

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Charlie Chapter 1 Verse 1-2:

"(1)And Lo...
Jesus said to his disciples "Turn the other Cheek"...

"And then give them a punch in the face because That is the Word..."

(2)"And the Word is intolerance..."

"Do this in memory of me!" and after you pay your indulgent fee .

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs There fixed that for ya .

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Punching noses eh.. that is better than to accuse them of witchcraft and put them at the stake...
Weird this statement coming from him.?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Does that mean if someone's religious nonsense offends my non-religious views i get a free pass to punch them in the nose?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I personally think there is an enormous difference between a massacre, and a 'punch on the nose', and the the Pope's comments here are out of line, and do nothing except perhaps appease those who would fear and intimidate others.

There is clearly a difference and there was no effort to make a direct comparison. Nor was it an attempt to appease anyone, least of all Muslims. The gist of his statements were that people take their faiths seriously and it's wrong to purposefully offend them and that furthermore, some people who are offended will react with violence. This isn't an endorsement or an excuse, it's a fact of life.

I'm am atheist so nothing anyone is going to say about God or religion will offend me but if I were out in public and a man said something highly offensive to my wife, I might be inclined to punch that man in his nose — maybe more than once. On a side note, despite being an atheist, out of respect, I do not ridicule religious people or their faiths.

It's a punch in the nose, not Jihad. Let's not all overreact, that's how things like "zero tolerance" policies come into being.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I guess they have just as much right as anyone else who is offended by the words that come out of another person's mouth. of course then the person that is punched has every right to go and have you arrested for assault don't they???

gee live would be interesting as all heck wouldn't it???
I find your cigarette offensive put it out!!
I find you griping about my cigarette offensive!
So well let's rumble!!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

I'm sorry, where did the CATHOLIC Pope say that ISLAM should have some sort of privilege? He simply made a statement that purposefully offending someone else's religion is wrong. He also said in the same statement:

"One cannot offend, make war, kill in the name of one’s own religion" and "To kill in the name of God is an aberration."

I wasn't necessarily referring exclusively to Islam, I was talking about religion in general.

I have never killed anyone in the name of a fictional invisible being, so I don't quite understand what your point is.

He essentially insinuated that religion shouldn't be mocked, whilst I ask why? What gives religion the privilege for not being mocked? What's so special about religion? He puts himself up there, spouting about the Lord's wishes, how we should lead our lives and the like. What gives him the right to suggest how I lead my life and what I find funny or should find offensive?

I don't find child abuse funny, in fact it's an out right abhorrent act, yet the way this man's church has dealt with the atrocities that have gone on and been inflicted by his own clergy has been treated light heartedly imo.
edit on 15/1/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Indeed, I like him well generally but, on this one, he's wrong.
Now that the clowns have been raised to the rank of martyrs, he'd better admit that he too is somehow making fun of a lot of people.

edit on 15-1-2015 by theultimatebelgianjoke because: Added picture

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join