It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German tabloid that reprinted cartoons from the French satirical paper Charlie Hebdo Firebombed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
www.thelocal.de...

A German tabloid that reprinted cartoons from the French satirical paper Charlie Hebdo lampooning the Prophet Mohammed was targeted in a firebombing on Sunday, police said.

With security services on high alert after a killing spree in Paris by Islamic extremists, police in the northern German port city of Hamburg said no one was injured in the blaze at the headquarters of the regional daily Hamburger Morgenpost, which caused only slight damage.

"Rocks and then a burning object were thrown through the window," a police spokesman told AFP. "Two rooms on lower floors were damaged but the fire was put out quickly."

The regional tabloid daily, the Hamburger Morgenpost, had splashed three Charlie Hebdo cartoons on its front page after the massacre at the Paris publication, running the headline "This much freedom must be possible!"

No one was hurt in the attack, which police said occurred at about 0120 GMT. Two people were detained, while state security has opened an investigation, police said.

edit on 11-1-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
They can huff, and they can puff - but they'll never blow the house down.

Ordinary Muslims (with our support) will defeat organised extemism eventually. Extremists act out because they know it's a war they can't win. It really is as simple as that. They're outnumbered thousands to one.

(fruit juice for the Muslims, of course.
)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I am thankful no one was hurt.

However I think that common sense should prevail and those cartoons should not be reprinted right now. There are copycats, crazies, and radicals out in society in every country who will act up as in Germany.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Au contraire my friend.....
Those cartoons should be reprinted in EVERY newspaper in the world.......bar none....

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Deleted.

edit on 11-1-2015 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Au contraire my friend.....
Those cartoons should be reprinted in EVERY newspaper in the world.......bar none....

Ok you and I can agree to disagree on this one. I think right now it is not a good time to reprint those cartoons...because some people will attack those publications that do...for safety reasons I don't think it is a good idea.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

When is a 'good' time?

Next week?

Next month?

Next year?

I think they should be printed daily. Screw the crazies. Let them try to firebomb every publication on the planet.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When is a 'good' time?

Next week?

Next month?

Next year?

I think they should be printed daily. Screw the crazies. Let them try to firebomb every publication on the planet.

So...it is ok with you if more people die because of those cartoons and freedom of the press?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Idiots.

Muhammad would find these people laughable, then he would pray for them.

Admittedly, I'm not so humble, I laugh at them for sure...

Haven't prayed a single prayer for them yet.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Tbh, I don't like the cartoons - but I don't think anyone should be afraid of printing them. Well, outside Muslim countries, of course - I can't imagine it going down well in Pakistan, for instance.

I don't like the cartoons because they offend the sensibilities of many ordinary Muslim people. None of those folk are going to kill or hurt anyone over it, but it would upset them - which is something I'd want to avoid.

The difference between those people and extremists is that one simply looks away, whilst the other acts. If you live in a Western country, you should be willing to look away at times to help protect our values. Of course, the very vast majority understand and respect that.

This said, being willing to look away to help protect our values also means that we should sometimes be willing to help protect theirs.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

So sending the message killing people who do what you dislike is a successful and worthwhile strategy to the terrorists is what you want instead?

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Of course not...never would I want that...I just want people to be safe...I don't want any more people to die and be hurt. I am for peace...I just hope we can find a way.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
www.cartoonstock.com...

Christians have to get their own act together and start their own bombing campaign.....no?
Comon free speech is free to ALL.....these cartoons need to be reprinted in every paper that has the cojones to stand for freedom of the press......

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Pretty much every newspaper and online news source has printed them as far as I can tell'

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I do too but caving into terrorists is not the way to achieve that peace, it simply encourages more of the same to get what they want.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When is a 'good' time?

Next week?

Next month?

Next year?

So...it is ok with you if more people die because of those cartoons and freedom of the press?

The people did not die because of those cartoons or because of freedom of the press.

They died because some nuts allowed themselves to develop a distorted perception of reality, which they personalized, took to an extreme, and on which they then acted violently.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
not large enough though....its time for the world to tell Muhammad to go fly a kite....
The religion of hate/ death worship.........................

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove

I do too but caving into terrorists is not the way to achieve that peace, it simply encourages more of the same to get what they want.

Yes...I do understand what you are saying...and you do make a very good point...in these kind of situations I worry a lot...and like I said I just want people to be safe and I am hoping and praying that more and more people will step up and work for peace.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Thank you for your response...I wanted to understand better what you are saying and you've explained it to me.

Like I have mentioned in some of my other replies...I just want people to be safe and more and more people to step up and work towards peace on this planet.

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'll bet the South Park duo are a little worried.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join