It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a Cop Should Feel After Pulling The Trigger

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Remorse, compassion and humanity. More of these traits would result in less killings by cops.

"This video from Billings Police Officer Brad Ross' patrol car shows Officer Grant Morrison walking with Ross back to his patrol car, wobble and then fall over off-screen. Ross responded to the scene after Morrison fatally shot Richard Ramirez."

No, the man wasn't armed but this seems to be the reaction of a man who knows his mistake.

"The five-year police veteran said he became convinced that Ramirez had a gun after the man reached for his waistband during their 30-second encounter last April in a high-crime area of Montana’s most populous city.

“I knew in that moment, which later was determined to be untrue, but I knew in that moment that he was reaching for a gun,” Morrison said. “I couldn’t take that risk. … I wanted to see my son grow up."

Accidental shootings do happen by citizens as well as cops but it's how we take responsibility that matters IMO. There are some killings that might leave a feeling of relief and justice but not all. Understanding of the difference between the 2 is what can make a great cop or just another psychopath.

Peace

edit on 10-1-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
If they had to pull the trigger they should feel lucky to be alive and thankful for their training IMO

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

One can feel both, sociopathy is not a requirement to be an officer.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Thanks for this.

It serves as a sad but refreshing reminder that there are those who DO feel in law enforcement. That officer will live with his decision, right or wrong, for the rest of his life.

a reply to: jude11

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I speak from experience as a marine, after it's all over you feel scared after the fact, confused and like I said after a time I felt lucky to be alive and thankful for the rigorous training I had to endure. Mostly I felt scared right after the fact though

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Maybe he is worried about his own future, not that lack of a future the dead man has.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

And you don't feel bad you had to kill someone at all, even now long after the adrenaline has long since subsided? If not, that should worry you.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Maybe he is worried about his own future, not that lack of a future the dead man has.

That is entirely possible.

In many cases you are most likely right but for some reason I think this is legit. As a cop he knows that the chances of his getting away with plain murder with a paid leave is great.

No, this seems legit to me. And if you know me by my threads, I am NO cop fan. I am a HUMAN fan.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

It doesn't work like that, personally I felt bad for the people that have to live there more so then what I do knowing I survived. Granted we are talking about the police but in some aspects I believe I can responsibly draw parrellels between the infantry and the police again with the operative words "HAD TO" if the cop HAD to kill someone the threat level should be high, I understand this isn't a perfect world but I tend to believe that perhaps the majority of officers that HAD to kill would not feel much different. It is of course my opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I would like to think there is concern for another person's loss of life too. A mixture of both. I think it would be that way for most people.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
or crying about his possibly career.
he was making a ridiculous amount of suspicious eye contact wit the camera. making a point to be seen on it afterward as much as possible.

not being pleased about killing people dosnt stop the police from killing. its the fear and shoot-first conduct that makes them do it.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ask a soldier that has killed another human. Many have killed somebody with absolutely no doubt of justification and they are still traumatized by their actions. A cop can kill somebody and have doubt brought from every direction. That can't be something you just brush off easily.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

If they had to pull the trigger they should feel lucky to be alive and thankful for their training IMO

Only he violated all the protocols regards felony stops (alone) and approach of the vehicle (alone), even opening the rear door and hanging there…

He was looking for Ramirez, the stop was made in the hood where Ramirez lived, Back up was within shouting distance…

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I could never do what a police officer does. I would never want my son or daughter to become a police officer. They put themselves in danger everyday and the stress has to be overwhelming at times. There's two sides to every story and I think this video shows that. There are bad cops out there, no doubt about it, but there are a lot of good cops out there too.

Cops make mistakes. Except their mistakes can take a life. I'm sure they're trained to react quickly in situations for the protection of their own lives. I think some police get caught up in the moment when faced with a person who is angry, refuses to follow directions and escalates the situation.

I think at anytime a person tries to reach for a police officers gun, or physically hits a police officer, or acts in a manner as if he's reaching for a weapon, all bets are off. You've crossed the line and are putting your life at risk. The police officer has every right to protect his life.

Having said that, police also have to show restraint when dealing with unarmed civilians. They need to have better training on how to de-escalate a volatile situation. They also need to be armed with better weapons that will stabilize a person without causing harm or potentially killing them. I think all police officers should go through psychological examinations for anger problems, and the ability to stay calm and patient in a stressful situation. I think the idea of requiring police officers to wear cameras will definitely make them think twice before using lethal force.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Only he violated all the protocols regards felony stops (alone) and approach of the vehicle (alone), even opening the rear door and hanging there…

He was looking for Ramirez, the stop was made in the hood where Ramirez lived, Back up was within shouting distance…

You really should look in to writing manuals and seminars and such, since you seem to know the policy of every police agency in the land, and how every situation should have been handled. You clearly have a ton of knowledge that should be shared.

@puppylove: why is it brotherman should feel bad for not losing at combat? I'm confused there.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

You really should look in to writing manuals and seminars and such, since you seem to know the policy of every police agency in the land, and how every situation should have been handled.

Thank you. I bet you see this "stop" in a future training video of how not to handle these kinds of situations.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Shamrock6

You really should look in to writing manuals and seminars and such, since you seem to know the policy of every police agency in the land, and how every situation should have been handled.

Thank you. I bet you see this "stop" in a future training video of how not to handle these kinds of situations.

Like I said, your expertise is quite apparent. Hopefully you can put that together

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I understand perhaps this instance may not have been exactly the best course of action, I was speaking in general for the police as a whole and as human beings. I know that not all cops kill people for the right reasons so I was trying to speak to the idea that if the police HAD to use their weapon. I don't want to use just one example to make my determination as the word "cops" was used, I may have been over thinking then again maybe not. I still stand firm though that the police that kill for the right reasons may feel very similar to soldiers and marines after they have to do the same thing. I also want to state why I didn't include an everyday civilian, this is because many of them are not trained, also with that training there is a degree of emotional separation (de-sensitized) the point of that is that many soldiers, marines, cops, etc have to be able for periods of time to separate their emotions so they can make better decisions in stressful situations.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Depends on the circumstances. If it was justified or not. I could live with myself if I saved lives by taking another. I could live with it if it was him or me. I couldn't if I was in the wrong or shot a child even if the child was wrong. I would probably come to terms with it but it would bother me for a while. I would never get over an innocent dying because of me. Even still, I would at least try to save the person's life by giving first aid and calling in for an ambulance. That is unless there are more fugitives to worry about at the time but still call it in on the pursuit. I wouldn't fall on the ground sobbing in any case. Does that make me uncaring? Nothing good can come from me sobbing in the moment. You have to control emotions in a tense situation for the good of everyone involved.

posted on Jan, 10 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I also wanted to say that I also don't feel as though anyone wins in these scenarios, it's just someone survived and someone did not. It is tragic and a disease humans have to face.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join