It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to propose 2 free years of community college

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: burntheships

Nope.

Anything this guy does has an ulterior motive that only works for him. Just can't see it yet.

Another Cloward Piven move?
Complicated intrusive government legislation into the private sector that is
ultimately a financial time bomb designed to fail and bring more chaos?
Hmmmm.........

We'll see soon enough I guess.

But it sure smells off.

Peace

I think it smells off because of who's going to be in control of the money, and who will handpick what colleges are on the government approved list, and which aren't.

I saw this coming when Obama took over the entire student loan program and made it illegal from private banks to make student loans. Now the Feds get to control who gets the money. And it will probably be done by an appointed "Czar" of college education.

And anybody who dares speak out against it will be labeled "anti-education" and be accused of wanting to deprive poor kids (black) from their rightful education.

It's not difficult to see how this is going to be played, and who is going to benefit. And it's not the kids.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

You've got your fingers in mAny threads today I see. Walmart? C'mon cheer up will ya?

I'm self employed as a telecom tech after taking 2 years in information technology. Sure the hell wasn't free, cost me near 20 k.

Now I charge 65 an hr for what I do. Don't be so neg

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: Jamie1

You've got your fingers in mAny threads today I see. Walmart? C'mon cheer up will ya?

I'm self employed as a telecom tech after taking 2 years in information technology. Sure the hell wasn't free, cost me near 20 k.

Now I charge 65 an hr for what I do. Don't be so neg

Nice! That's awesome. I stand corrected then.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

This whole jobs idea is a dead end.

Advances in technology and global integration are leading us down a path of a relatively jobless society.

We need a basic income for everyone with no stipulations and cut back the workweek from 40 to 20 hours and let people take on more artistic endeavors.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I don't think you get how this works.

putting people in college keeps them busy so they're not competing on the labor market. In turn this means that there are more jobs for those who are already graduates, and furthermore more jobs for those who are teachers or work at community colleges.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Unions get fed their jobs by higher ups & carve out their areas by driving out scabs - that's why they make the money.

That doesn't work everywhere - especially where I'm at - Union just doesn't get fed the same here as up in the north & east.

My thought is that maybe a free trade education will flood the trade market enough that the bids for companies that hire legal educated labor drop enough that some job managers become willing to pay the difference to get the job done right.

Not saying that's going to happen everywhere but it will at least take some of the market back from the illegal labor & make it harder for them to find jobs - might even slow down illegal immigration if they can't easily find work.
edit on 8-1-2015 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

9 million students each year

We don`t need 9 million more college graduates every year there aren`t any jobs for them and NOBODY needs college educated burger flippers.
Here`s a better idea let`s create jobs for all the college graduates we already have before we start creating more college graduates at the tax payers expense.
$34 billion of tax payer money to create college educated Wal-Mart greeters and burger flippers isn`t a good investment.

The issue is with people getting practically worthless degrees.

There are a couple of ways to fix this:

1) Stop telling kids that they absolutely must go to a 4-year college. Kids are getting worthless degrees because everyone tells them they have to. Fix the counseling/admissions programs.

2) Encourage kids to learn a trade. You complain that many college-grads can't find jobs but those college grads don't know how to actually DO anything. Their political science degree or English degree is not in demand. Plumbers, electricians, pipe fitters, welders, etc are in high demand.

It's simple: if you want to find a job after college you need to have a degree that's in demand, not whatever was easy to attain while you were hungover in class.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

Now that I can agree with.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

That's not the issue that's a lie.

There's 21 million people currently enrolled there's plenty of degrees to go around.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

This whole jobs idea is a dead end.

Advances in technology and global integration are leading us down a path of a relatively jobless society.

We need a basic income for everyone with no stipulations and cut back the workweek from 40 to 20 hours and let people take on more artistic endeavors.

Yeah, I agree with that utopia but we aren't there yet. It'll be at least another 50 years before we're at that point.

It's rare that we agree but...

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

It' has to go in that direction there's just to many people and less and less jobs.

We gotta evolve into the new Aquarian age.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
So we're transferring wealth from the general public into universities who will provide a sh!tty 2 year community college degree for students that when they graduate they will be qualified to work as a manager at Walmart.

This is a great idea. Pure inspired jenius. Let's put Barry on Mt. Rushmore.

Oh... do the students get Obama-phones too?

Manage some teachers and administrators and make your #1 comunity college!
2nd

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

We'll see soon enough I guess.

But it sure smells off.

Sigh, I am sure we will...and yes it sure does.

a reply to: burntheships

What middle class?

Exactly.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

That's not the issue that's a lie.

There's 21 million people currently enrolled there's plenty of degrees to go around.

Come on, can't we agree on more than one point in a thread?

I'd hazard a guess that I was in college much more recently than you.

Here's the current picture:

-A huge percentage of engineering and pre-med students are foreign.
-A huge number of the students currently enrolled never finish college.
-A huge number of the students currently enrolled will change majors at least once because they don't know what they want to do or they're seeking an easier course load.
-A small number of students currently enrolled will finish college with an in-demand degree AND maintain the desire to stay in that field.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is good.

Couple that with making student loan repayments tax deductible and we could really be on to something here.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Who do ya suppose he plans to steel the money from to pay for this?

If the FEDS legalize weed, there will be a lot of extra revenue from the tax dollars available. Not only that, but think of all the money that will saved on NOT keeping pot users and sellers in prisons.

California Spends Six Times More On Prison Inmates Than On College Students

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheArrow
This is good.

Couple that with making student loan repayments tax deductible and we could really be on to something here.

I agree. The interest on student loan payments is currently deductible but that's chump change.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Could you imagine a healthy and educated american youth, that would be terrible right.

Its commy talk right there...

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I wonder what this is going to do to the cost of attending college when the gov't is the one that is pays the bill with the tax payers money?

Not that I'm against providing education and healthcare to every able working citizen and in need citizen in a country that touts itself as a superpower: However, the reality is the gov't doesn't have a good history in doing things for the benefit of the general public. Just like Obamacare will make the insurance companies the winners this will surely be a sneaky tax or benefit for some individuals to benefit by raising the cost of tuition and I doubt the teachers will see that increase.

An education today can cost as much as a new car on yearly basis ,because they allowed student loans. Sure it sounded like a great idea for everyone to easily get loans , but now the cost is so great for everyone that most students come out with years of debt before they work a day of their live.The middle class can't afford to attend college without acquiring debt for numerous years. If it wasn't for the easy loans they couldn't charge 30K a year for an education just like they couldn't charge 40K for a kia. Pay now or pay later for much much longer periods and much much larger amounts .

edit on 29131America/ChicagoThu, 08 Jan 2015 22:29:13 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

The youth in this country are already educated I think we need to start discussing quality of education.

We need big massive cultural change more than anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join