It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to propose 2 free years of community college

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Isn't any investment in children's education to be applauded? It is in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Look at what cookie cutter education has already done to this country.

There are no production line solutions to education it needs to be handled on an apprenticeship level after 16 or so years of age.
edit on 1/8/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Well, this would not be a bad idea. But of course it will be abused. It has to stipulate that it only pays for in state college tuition, because a big part of college is already covered by states and the government sometimes already.

Why can't it be online college courses for that two years, it would be cheaper for the taxpayer. Kids could do it from their parents homes instead of paying room and board at college. This idea will just increase the money for the colleges as he is stating it. Lets get the kids taken care of, not enlarge the colleges. I suppose the colleges will change the curriculum so the first two years are worthless towards a degree.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Kids could do it from their parents homes instead of paying room and board at college.

You do know what a community college is, right?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Obama's plan would see the feds picking up 75% of the tuition costs, with each state covering the remaining 25%.

So....not just intrusion into the private sectors, but also another one into the States rights and education.

Would this mean websites such as Covered Illinoise and the likes? I can see it
now....Educated Illinois, Educated Hawaii....etc.

Oh, and who would design all of these websites, and integrate them with the Feds?

Dizziness setting in...

edit on 8-1-2015 by burntheships because: spelling

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I dont get it. Is investing in children a bad thing now?
a reply to: onequestion

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

We're not saying it's a bad thing. Read what people have been talking about the past 5 pages

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: burdman30ott6

34 billion dollars? A drop in the bucket compared to military spending (granted, a large drop). I think it's a wonderful idea, and has the potential to change the face of American education. Go O!

How do states cover their 25% share, though? I realize *some* states are looking OK in terms of deficits and education spending, but take my state of Alaska as an example. www.ktva.com...

In the current fiscal year, the BSA went up by $150 to $5,830. It will go up $50 more in each of the following two years. Lawmakers also beefed up spending in other areas, such as charter schools and homeschooling.

Organizers for Great Alaska Schools say the funding wasn’t enough to keep up with inflation, but they don’t plan to ask the Legislature for more money this year.

“We’re facing such a budget crisis in this state, that’s not realistic,” said Deena Mitchell with Great Alaska Schools.

The state can't increase spending year-to-year per student to keep up with inflation... does anyone believe it would be realistic to expect them to find the funding to cover an additional 2 years worth of schooling?

The states cover the 25% by making videos available online made with the best instructors/teachers/industries in the state. It's either this or everyone goes to college in cheaper country universities for two years and transfer back or heck stay there! This is Obama's Hail Mary Pass, or #OHMP for short ;p

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kuroodo

We're not saying it's a bad thing. Read what people have been talking about the past 5 pages

Oh OK right, thanks...page 1 to begin you say? Smh

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

And the online providers say, "Well who is our buyer again? Oh, that's right, government. Jack up those rates, baby! It's an unlimited gravy train because they have bottomless pockets."

This is more or less what has happened at state 4-year schools. As soon as government made it "affordable" for everyone with loans and grants, the colleges took advantage with endless tuition rate hikes. Who cares if you can personally afford it? Uncle Sam'll pick up your tab.

They'd do the same online, too.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
How about this for feasibility, the students who are business minded
can do start ups with the help of the college, the ones that manage to
make money repay a portion of that into the purse of the college that helped them get started or alternatively the college is a permanent partner
helping with new input and getting a share of the profit.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Obama knows the bottom is going to fall out soon. He can promise all he wants to. WOnt be able to deliver it now or soon.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TheArrow

Yeah, we have them over here. My daughter moved out when she started college, and we had bills to pay because she did not want to travel ten miles to college. Then she moved to another town and the cost of the dorms was really high. We had bought MET so her tuition was paid for 4 yrs. What a mistake, after six years she did not even have a two year degree.

It is turning into one of the biggest money scams around, the kids can choose what they want to do and not work towards a degree. There should be a prerequisite that you have to complete your required staple classes toward your degree every semester before you are allowed to take any extras. They need to do away with some "Fun" classes that the kids are filling their schedule with.

I was required to take classes like bowling and archery in college back in the seventies when I went. I chose these because I worked setting pins at a bowling alley before and knew how to bowl well. I also was pretty good at shooting a bow. But they needed proof that I knew what I was doing. The instructor didn't even help me, I would be bowling with him in class, he was nothing compared to some of the bowlers at the Elk's bowling alley where I had worked. What a waste of time. This was at Michigan Tech, not a community college though, they pushed more of this at the community college.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I dont get it. Is investing in children a bad thing now?
a reply to: onequestion

For one thing, you get what you pay for. If your education is free, then that's about the quality you can expect from it. See inner city schools for a good example and we waste over $10,000/year/student in many of those districts. If I had the amount of money our inner city school district spends per year on a child as a voucher, I could send my son to one of the three best private schools in the city with only about another thousand out of pocket per year myself. You tell me that my son would get anywhere near just $1,000 dollars less in the quality of education from the inner city schools. If he actually would, I might send him there because Barstow and Pembroke Hill are quite excellent private academies.

Heck the amount DC public schools spend per child is only a couple thousand less then the tuition for Sidwell Friends where the Obamas and all the other Washington Elite send their kids.

But out free public education obviously has some HUGE problems because it really isn't delivering, not even close.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
So we're transferring wealth from the general public into universities who will provide a sh!tty 2 year community college degree for students that when they graduate they will be qualified to work as a manager at Walmart.

This is a great idea. Pure inspired jenius. Let's put Barry on Mt. Rushmore.

Oh... do the students get Obama-phones too?

You do realize that the program you referring to as "Obama phones" actually started in 1997 as part of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and is paid for by the Universal Service Fund which is maintained through contributions by service providers?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

www.sidwell.edu...

Upper School offers an intellectually challenging program which encourages students to strive for personal growth and to use their education for the betterment of the community at large. The curriculum provides a broad foundation in the humanities and sciences, develops critical and creative thinking, stresses competence in oral and written communication as well as quantitative operations, and is designed to stimulate intellectual curiosity. To learn more about our academic philosophy and course offerings, please explore the downloads to the right. Sidwell Friends School also offers a selection of courses online through the Global Online Academy, which it launched with nine other independent schools.

Jeez. The difference between public education and this?

At Sidwell, we see the college process and our work with students as a natural extension of what happens in our classrooms. A high school curriculum should be inspired by what is educationally sound and right for the community it serves; so too should a college counseling program. It should not be limited by the scope of what colleges want to see; it should not stop at simply ensuring that our students achieve acceptance into college. We aspire to have our students begin to discern which of their talents, goals, and principles will inform their lives as they move into adulthood. We hope to help them move from adolescence into full maturity.

edit on 1/8/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   

a reply to: windword

California Spends Six Times More On Prison Inmates Than On College Students

That's because college students don't pose any threats to society.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Neither do 70% of the inmates.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

a reply to: windword

California Spends Six Times More On Prison Inmates Than On College Students

That's because college students don't pose any threats to society.

Oh yes they do, that's why you don't want to spend money making them.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
What does Obama say about this.....

Hamburger University

The future is right before your eyes !!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join