It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to propose 2 free years of community college

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc
Might as well just add 2 years to high school...

Here's an even better idea, abandon the archaic concept that high school educations simply MUST be balanced and well rounded and establish a second track for sophomores and up who wish to take it. There are a lot of people in high school who don't care about French, Art, Biology, Senior Math, English Lit, or any of a slew of other HS standards intended to provide a broad reaching general education... why not provide a career/technical track almost like a trade school or apprenticeship program in which those young adults can spend their last few years of high school learning how to be mechanics, welders, technicians, or even just learning business skills? It seems like that would be a much better investment of tax dollars into their (and our collective) futures rather than having a disinterested kid sleeping through a teacher explaining how to conjugate verbs in Spanish.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: burdman30ott6

It already is.

The startup cost for any small business is already to high for graduates to be able to start a business, pay rent or a mortgage and payoff the loans for the business itself.

We are moving closer to a state of fascism everyday and these policies are bringing us even closer.

I forgot to mention pay rent with student loans. They can't start a business until they are in their 40's. Talk about an economy killer.

Everything you're saying is wrong. You obviously don't have first-hand knowledge in the business world.

There are several small businesses that can be started VERY cheaply. There are also a plethora of sources for small business loans.

I'm in the process of starting my own business and I'm doing it with other people's money. I'm broke.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

If Obama's idea of "community college" includes technical schools then I don't see an issue.

Offering to teach people a trade for free would be a huge boost to the economy...

It would probably put downward pressure on wages though & I'm sure current tradesmen would get upset since the market would quickly get flooded and they had to pay for something that's free now.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I agree teach them how to start a business not work for a corporation.

But they want them to go into massive debt so they can own them.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

I am a tradesman and contrary to what everyone says there are plenty of tradesman.

What do you think the tens of millions of illegals are doing when they get here? It's called carpentry and welding.

Go ahead and bid on a commercial job and look at your risk profit ratio at the end of the job and tell me how lucrative of a business it is at the end of the day. Go for it.
edit on 1/8/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
To everyone claiming we couldn't afford something like this, I say that is hogwash. The federal government and the individual states could easily afford something like this if they quit spending billions of dollars annually on unnecessary crap.

For example, if there Marijuana was legalized nationally, with a small federal tax and whatever state taxes they decide to add there would be more than enough money to fund 2 years of community college and still have a majority of the revenue left over.

IMO Cost is not an issue. What is an issue is the inability for the state and federal government to stop their addiction on spending money on stupid crap that doesn't matter. Fix that problem and there would be more than enough money to go around.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
So we're transferring wealth from the general public into universities who will provide a sh!tty 2 year community college degree for students that when they graduate they will be qualified to work as a manager at Walmart.

This is a great idea. Pure inspired jenius. Let's put Barry on Mt. Rushmore.

Oh... do the students get Obama-phones too?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Yeah your doing it with other people's money that's exactly the point and I know exactly what I'm talking about I've been involved with business since I was 21 years old.

Overhead is massively expensive especially if you have to rent a location.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: coldkidc

If Obama's idea of "community college" includes technical schools then I don't see an issue.

Offering to teach people a trade for free would be a huge boost to the economy...

It would probably put downward pressure on wages though & I'm sure current tradesmen would get upset since the market would quickly get flooded and they had to pay for something that's free now.

For awhile, there would be an issue with a flooded market but simple economics tells us that as more people go to work and earn wages, they spend those wages and production increases to meet demand.

You can't shun a long-term solution because of short-term issues. We've seen how well it works in our own country barely 60 years ago.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

No it really is non of your business what other people do in their free time please mind your business.

link   

Yeah your doing it with other people's money that's exactly the point and I know exactly what I'm talking about I've been involved with business since I was 21 years old.

Overhead is massively expensive especially if you have to rent a location.

Anyone who wishes to start a business can get access to other people's money.

If they aren't smart enough or determined enough to get it, then maybe they should stick to working for someone else because they'll probably fail anyway.

Not EVERYONE should start a business just because they think they want to.

link   
a reply to: onequestion

I am a tradesman and contrary to what everyone says there are plenty of tradesman. What do you think the tens of millions of illegals are doing when they get here? It's called carpentry and welding. Go ahead and bid on a commercial job and look at your risk profit ratio at the end of the job and tell me how lucrative of a business it is at the end of the day. Go for it.

You're not telling me anything I don't know. I hire tradesmen every day.

You can't honestly tell me the quality of work isn't going to go up...part of the issue with some of the immigrant labor is that they are not adequately trained & make mistakes someone with 2 years of education wouldn't make.

I know because I fix those problems by bringing in more tradesmen - except that you have to be good to work for me...I need to see experience & examples of your work or your not getting the job.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

No it really is non of your business what other people do in their free time please mind your business.

When you take out a loan, there are conditions.

How is it somehow different when people live off of the government? They should get free money and do as they please?

You're delusional.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

34 billion dollars? A drop in the bucket compared to military spending (granted, a large drop). I think it's a wonderful idea, and has the potential to change the face of American education. Go O!

How do states cover their 25% share, though? I realize *some* states are looking OK in terms of deficits and education spending, but take my state of Alaska as an example. www.ktva.com...

In the current fiscal year, the BSA went up by $150 to $5,830. It will go up $50 more in each of the following two years. Lawmakers also beefed up spending in other areas, such as charter schools and homeschooling.

Organizers for Great Alaska Schools say the funding wasn’t enough to keep up with inflation, but they don’t plan to ask the Legislature for more money this year.

“We’re facing such a budget crisis in this state, that’s not realistic,” said Deena Mitchell with Great Alaska Schools.

The state can't increase spending year-to-year per student to keep up with inflation... does anyone believe it would be realistic to expect them to find the funding to cover an additional 2 years worth of schooling?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
So we're transferring wealth from the general public into universities who will provide a sh!tty 2 year community college degree for students that when they graduate they will be qualified to work as a manager at Walmart.

This is a great idea. Pure inspired jenius. Let's put Barry on Mt. Rushmore.

Oh... do the students get Obama-phones too?

So you'd prefer that the money go to people who sit at home and do nothing instead? That's what's happening right now.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I meet plenty of people on jobsites who do garbage work on a daily basis and the bottom line is the bottom line.

I worked with this crew of ilegals on a big commercial job a few months ago and they wre pissing all over the jobsite and tossing garbage everywhere and stepping all over my tiles with wet mortar.

the bids are so low due to co petition in the marketplace that you have to hire ilegals in order to actually make money on the job if your running a business. How can a small business owner compete with that if they have a regular crew getting paid what they should get paid non Union? Where I'm at the unions are the ones making the big money everyone else is just getting by.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

that is a good point, it's an institutional issue though.

you can't legalize drugs or you won't get re-elected as there are a lot of people employed in drug-enforcement, as well as privately owned prisons, rehab clinics and all sorts of industries. never mind the millions of dollars politicians likely receive in dark-money from criminals.

it's like the textbook industry in that regard.... You know how textbook companies are frankly taking advantage of college students by charging a steep premium on textbooks? changing editions and whatever to make used-textbooks difficult to use. Not to mention the corruption in public schools at a state level, where textbook-lobbyists get state school-boards to declare a new-standard textbook.

You know... part of me is hoping that we finally see Obama emerge as the "radical" the right-wing has been screaming about for the last 6 or so years... it would liven things up....

youtu.be...
edit on 8-1-2015 by NonsensicalUserName because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

originally posted by: jude11
Nope.

Anything this guy does has an ulterior motive that only works for him. Just can't see it yet.

Another Cloward Piven move?
Complicated intrusive government legislation into the private sector that is
ultimately a financial time bomb designed to fail and bring more chaos?
Hmmmm.........

We'll see soon enough I guess.

But it sure smells off.

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I meet plenty of people on jobsites who do garbage work on a daily basis and the bottom line is the bottom line.

I worked with this crew of ilegals on a big commercial job a few months ago and they wre pissing all over the jobsite and tossing garbage everywhere and stepping all over my tiles with wet mortar.

the bids are so low due to co petition in the marketplace that you have to hire ilegals in order to actually make money on the job if your running a business. How can a small business owner compete with that if they have a regular crew getting paid what they should get paid non Union? Where I'm at the unions are the ones making the big money everyone else is just getting by.

You have no say in who people hire. Business owners can hire anyone they want to hire. You should mind your own damn business.

See how that works?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

9 million students each year

We don`t need 9 million more college graduates every year there aren`t any jobs for them and NOBODY needs college educated burger flippers.
Here`s a better idea let`s create jobs for all the college graduates we already have before we start creating more college graduates at the tax payers expense.
$34 billion of tax payer money to create college educated Wal-Mart greeters and burger flippers isn`t a good investment.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join