It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There are no great religions. They're all stupid and dangerous..."

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Bill Maher denounced all religions as "stupid and dangerous" on Wednesday night during a discussion about the terrorist attack in Paris on the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo. During an appearance on "Jimmy Kimmel Live," Maher reiterated his belief that the Islamic religion promotes violence after the attack which left two policemen and 10 staff members of the paper dead.

talkingpointsmemo.com... ffer

"We have to stop saying, 'Well we should not insult a great religion,'" Maher continued. "First of all, there are no great religions. They're all stupid and dangerous. And we should insult them. "

This is not a rant. But it's close.
Bill is right. What do religious people get out of it anyways? A chance to say "I'm better than you"?
Or maybe "If you insult my religion I have the right to kill you."
Or maybe "My religion is better than yours."
As religious violence mounts people are finally beginning to get it. Well maybe it's time for the human race to finally put all religions in their back pocket and spare the rest of us from the violence that's associated with them.

Why can't we just all love one another without the crutch of religion? Really, it's not that hard folks.
Look...How shall I put this?

-You've already been dead.
Do you remember? 120 years ago? No?
Let me refresh you.
There was no heaven, no hell, no black, no white.
No color no cats, violence, paper clips, endless voids of maple syrup.
That's made up. How do I know? Because I've already been dead! -For billions of years. I've been there. You have as well.
If that scares you then you're a wimp.
So why believe in an engine that creates violence? Why can't you just be peace loving humans without the crutch that is religion?

It's time for the human race to grow up.

Enough already!

edit on 8-1-2015 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

I agree with him.

The thing is If the religions kept in their places of worship and at home we wouldn't have any problems but they do not.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I agree Religion is a downloadable information meme or contagion and here in the twenty first century we have 70 percent of the worlds population or more with a head full of at least 1500 year old dark ages crap believing that some being is going to fix up all our problems,or destroy us for our own good or whatever other garbage.There are serious challenges this century and man must grow up and assume responsibility the Wizard of Oz,the Watchers might be out there but after 6000 years of recorded history its obvious nothing other than man will solve mans problems.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Kids seem to get along fine with each other no matter what religion/colour/place of birth the other kid has/is.
Its the adults that's the problem.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I think that it is unwise to generalise, because doing so is a crutch which is used by people who fail to imagine the world around them, and the people within it, in an appropriately complex fashion, to muddle through matters in short order, that actually take a lifetime to approach with the right amount of consideration and experience.

Let me explain what I mean.

First, whenever one refers to a demographic containing a great host of people, whether that be persons who have belief as a whole, or persons who hold to a specific belief system, one cannot attach any significant statement to that reference, without being mistaken in a significant percentage of cases. You see, people who have faith, are people, and everyone is a little different to everyone else, no matter what they believe, or subscribe to.

Just as there are some rich people who do respect the poor, there are religious people out there who respect the right of all persons to do as they see fit, and are prepared to just get on with their own lives, and do what they can for folk regardless of what faith those folk might have, and these selfless individuals come from all faiths and all creeds. There are, equally, those within every religious umbrella going, who see it as their duty to be the holy fire which cleanses the world of this and that, and on occasion, the other.

The real problem here, is that judging an entire demographic of people, based on the actions of a few, is a deeply flawed practice, which leaves one open to making really serious errors in dealing with matters pertaining to the faithful, no matter which religious doctrine we are talking about. I for instance, am a Christian. I do not, however, see it as my job to be out there, thumping sinners in the face, burning witches at the stake, and bashing on homosexuals. You see, my belief is that free will is just that, and that no human being is perfect, and since those who are themselves imperfect are unfit to cast judgement on their fellow humans, that I should not cast judgement myself.

Now, of course there are going to be Christians who do not take the same view, and they themselves may find that their tendency to judge lands them in hot water before The Lord. Who knows, again, it is not my place to say! What I would say though, is that just as there is a difference between myself and other Christians, there is a difference between one individual from another faith, and all other individuals from that faith, and the same can be said for every demographic one cares to name.

The problem is not religions, it is not ideology. It is that people hijack these things for their own political ends, and turn small numbers of people to causes and methods of achieving their ends, which are barbaric and ridiculous. If they could not do these things by turning the word of a holy text into an example of malicious editing, then they would find another way of making folk do what they want, because that is how people like that function. Psychopathic, remorseless, relentless murderers and powermongers will use ANY lever to achieve their aim, whether that be religious, political, economic, or a mixture of all of the above, and more besides!

The Nazis for instance were not a religious organisation. In fact, they distrusted all faiths. They avoided as far as possible, messing with the Christian church because Hitler new it would not be wise, with regard to support for his machinations and those of his fellow scumbags. They however, managed to cause some of the most gargantuan suffering and death, that has ever been enacted upon the human race.

The truth is that the cause of violence is nothing to do with the stated aims of the maniacs who commit the acts, but has to do with power, how it is wielded, how it is gained, and who gains it, trades it, and how much of it is in any one place, at any one time. It is easy to make those who have no power, think it would be grand to ally themselves with someone who has a great deal of it. It is not uniform though, that everyone who lacks power desires to possess it. Brain washing is by no means the sole territory of religious sects.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

Yeah cos the adults indoctrinate their kids to be in their own clubs.
It is abuse to force and brainwash children into cults.
If only we could keep that innocence we had as children eh?.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

All I see is two sides spitting at each other saying the other is stupid or unintellectual, uneducated, Nihilist, wimps, dangerous, heretics. You want the world to love each other start by practicing what you rant, start loving religious people. Understand that the entire world isn't going to suddenly wake up and reject the notion of god.

So you want the world to wake up and start thinking exactly like you? Why can't we all just accept that we are all just products of our environment and its all about perspective.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

What do religious people get out of it anyways? A chance to say "I'm better than you"?

Personally, no!

Or maybe "If you insult my religion I have the right to kill you."

Personally, no.

Or maybe "My religion is better than yours."

Personally, if it's Creationism or Scientology, most definitely.

You've already been dead.
Do you remember? 120 years ago? No?
Let me refresh you.
There was no heaven, no hell, no black, no white.
No color no cats, violence, paper clips, endless voids of maple syrup.
That's made up. How do I know? Because I've already been dead! -For billions of years. I've been there. You have as well.

Do you understand the concept of a Spirit/Soul?

Better yet...
You can prove this?

If that scares you then you're a wimp.

That doesn't scare me.

Displeasing Allah does.

I wonder if Bill Maher, has ever read this?

My guess, is nooooo!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The war of 2155. Fought over the belief of who ended religion once and for all. Was it Bill Maher, or was it canucks555?

Very slippery slope to say there's no place for religion. What else do you wise people deem stupid? Am I allowed to play video games still? Please, can I?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Displeasing Allah does.

I will never be afraid of some made up entity created to empower the weak minded.

-But when the weak minded get it in their heads that they have to hurt others to prove that they're right (they're not btw) -then I have a problem with that.
We should all have a problem with that.

It should be dealt with harshly.

mankind should not be ruled by those who believe in made up lies.
edit on 8-1-2015 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whatmakesyouright

Is it a religious video game where Jesus and Muhammad team up to kill atheists going to college?

or the atheist video game where Bill Maher goes to a church and you win by calling as many people as possible stupid?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

We need a 5 Star button!!!

You sir/ma'am, deserve more than one!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have had personal proof of seeming life with no visible bodies... i.e. spirits... and think the beautiful, intricate Universe might well have a designer... or at least a central intelligence of some sort... but sincerely, stridently agree that organized, arbitrarily dogmatic religion is divisive, man made and retarding our growth.

If we all calmed down and let others think what they want without fear and anger, imagine the world we could exist in.

If there is a central intelligence, then religion would make it vomit... spiritually anyway.

I would add that many have a loving, intelligent view of religion... and that's all good... they don't advocate death for other thinkers casting doubt on their personal views.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Considering I'm talking to someone who doesn't understand the concept of a soul,
I don't see what good it would do me to go into detail of why I wish to please Allah with a righteous life.

Just admit it...

You're an intolerent strike that...

You think you're better than others...

& without the religious angle to back you up.

Hilarious!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
We need to set aside religion for the sake of peace. Though I get what someone was saying about the Nazis falling into violence without religion, I truly feel doing away with religion would reinstate personal responsibility for the majority.

As long as we are dna based beings, things can and will go wrong allowing a percentage of people to have a few screws loose. That can't be changed, only acted upon as quick as possible. But what of the religious zealot? More fuel for the crazy fire?

I'm sick of religion. My brother and wife are hard-core, born again Christians. Highly educated, teach at uni, and they let their personal lives spiral downward with alcohol and violence until their children were taken away and an eight day trial, paid for by the british tax payer, was needed to sort it out. The kicker in this is all along they say "Its in God's hands" or "it's God's will" Not a shred of personal responsibility, not to mention the holier than thou attitude. They do not believe in free will.

Of course, I have friends who are moderate Christians, jews, muslims who handle their religion responsibly but even to them I want to ask if it is really worth all the violence and misery worldwide in exchange for feeling special and chosen. Touched in the head is more like it.

Religion stinks because it's rotten.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Our path forward:
1. Address international crimes of Church and State first...the hardest issue of our time. Queen and family must be arrested by Constitutional Sheriff ASAP. Pope the same. The Ninth Circle Satanists also.
2. Arrest all Politicians in Washington DC on bribary and corruptions charges. Place in FEMA camp zone 12 (Arizona area).
3. Negotiate an International Human Rights at the United Nations. Include common law powers and freedom for all humans on Earth.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Religions, like nations and democracies, are an out-dated and barbaric system of control. There will be increasing resistance against the newest, and more sophisticated system as time progresses. The world is going through a process of change, shifting to a more peaceful and unified system. A new cultural paradigm has arisen, that unites all peoples on Earth, and that culture is the corporation. The business model is the common current that is bringing all humanity together, and these older forms must be phased out, sooner rather than later.

A New Age is dawning, and these older systems will become increasingly violent before they are snuffed out.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

You really think the world is becoming more peaceful? corporations are out to help people? talk about drinking the spiked kool aid

do you work for the illuminate?

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

I must disagree, the corporation peacefulness doesn't seem very peaceful. We kill for oil or enslave for nikes just doesn't look better than a loving God.

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I was thinking sarcasm from GodEmperor's post? Am I wrong? I don't know anyone here yet.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join