It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$15 an hour isn't all it's cracked up to be.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

That's the trap. Eugenics right in your face. You fall for the bull#. The minorities will rule yours.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I think if the wages go up...at least its seemed that way for quite a few years now...(of course I get union wages since 1988...) that when folks get a raise...even a little, they run out and get that new(er) car, bigger tv etc...and then, they upgrade their style of living to reflect that higher income.

It seems perhaps a good idea...if when one gets a raise...to not go crazy and try and live a little like you didnt get one...to allow some time to get ahead financially.

Its been shown that as incomes go up, so do consumer prices in stores of products and services. I think it becomes a case of "well now that Im getting more $$$...we can get that dish antenna, or new F150...we can afford the payments now!"

But then...BOOM. The bottom drops out worse than before. My grandparents...if they got more money...they didnt act or spend like they did. And that got them ahead.
edit on 07-31-2014 by mysterioustranger because: cause and effect

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

B.S

Wise people plan, it's that simple.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Wise people die with no children to carry on. You chase the paper and the paper rules you. Wake up before you give the best years of your life to someone who doesn't give a # about you. I can't wait for the barter system to come! I'll trade you 2 pigs for a cow. We can argue over the price of eggs later.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18844981]LOSTinAMERICA[/post

I chase nothing I have no debt If i want something I pay cash.

What are your kids going to carry on of yours? Debt?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Freedom from the lie.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I'm happy, are you?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: ketsuko

Whats the solution?

Do what you can to improve your situation on your end. Do what you can to increase your own skills, make yourself more valuable, self-sufficient. Bad times I fear are coming.

On the other end, we need to the QE to stop. For all the funny money the fed prints, every dollar you and I earn gets devalued. When they finally turn off the taps, things will get really ugly in terms of inflation and the pinch we're all feeling is going to get much worse until it gets better. But our dollars should represent real goods, not an arbitrary amount out of thin air.

We need to stranglehold on business to stop. Taxes, regulations, etc., all play their part in making it hard for people to go into business and make it work. This is part of the strangling of competition that makes it harder for their to a real market with real competition which would make it easier for there to be more realistic rates across the board because then businesses would have to in order to survive.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LOSTinAMERICA

Freedom from the lie.

What are you going on about?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Jamie1

Your example is terrible because it completely ignores scale and compares two things numerically so far apart it's not even funny, it's tragic.

Is more like he's paying his employee 15 cents compared to his 15 dollars and the government telling him to pay them a whole quarter. Even that is probably under-exaggerating the scenario of profits to employee pay in most big businesses. What we need in not a minimum wage, but a minimum wage based on employee number and profits. So as a business grows, so does the employees pay, but small business are not as harmed as their pay rate is then determined by profit margin as employee number.

The problem is we have blanket minimum wage, which makes no sense and is completely illogical. It means businesses that can afford to pay their employees more don't have to because needs to stay low enough that those who can't can still pay their employees.

You are arguing my point. Thank you. You put it very well.

The scale is like you said for BIG BUSINESSES.

For small business the example I used is more realistic. Driving up the cost of labor is going to squeeze small business owners into lower profits, more time working, less employees, and an inability to compete with the larger businesses.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I guess you're a lost cause. Go chase the almighty dollar. I'll survive happy without chasing it. I'll teach my children a better way. Be the good drone you were molded to be. I'm free.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Lol

Listen pudd'n I don't chase money and I don't work hell I'm even a high school drop out who figured out how to make the evil dollar work for me.

Oh and good luck believing that you are truly free.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Whats the solution?

1) Don't take advice from people who aren't rich.

2) You make more money when you add more value than anybody else.

3) Raise your standards. Make your goal having $100,000 in the bank and not paying your bills every month.

4) Invest in yourself. Learn more so you can become more and contribute more value.

5) Become an owner of assets, not a worker. Workers make money for owners.

6) Strategies are crucial. You won't find a sunset looking east.

7) The right strategies at the wrong time don't work. Timing is important.

8) Beliefs. Results come from actions, actions from what you believe. More money starts with beliefs.

9) Peer group. Spend your time with people who are smarter and richer than you.

10) Don't judge rich people, or you will never allow yourself to become rich.

11) Gratitude. When you are grateful for what you have, you are wealthy.

12) Giving. Give money to somebody who needs it, even if you're nearly broke. it will train you brain that there is more than enough, and that getting more money is good because you can do more with it to help make the world better.

The world isn't served by you playing small.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: onequestion

That's how come economists say that raising the minimum wage is good for the economy - it allows people to spend money. Businesses need customers. That's why they recommend a national minimum wage of at least $10.00.

If it was so "good" for business, why haven't "businesses" done this on their own?

For the same reason we don't ask for voluntary contributions towards police, fire and military. Just because it's a good idea doesn't mean we should make it optional.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

Whats the solution?

1) Don't take advice from people who aren't rich.

One question.

Are you rich?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

You are sure upset. If you're happy with your life, go with it. I'm content myself. I'm not going into debt. I do live within my means. If there's something I want, I save up to buy it. I'm just not content with chasing money anymore. I'm not content on keeping up with what people think is a success story. You can't take it with you. You might as well enjoy what little time you do have. It doesn't have to be reckless or debt based.

I want to live like Bonanza. I want to enjoy the outdoors. I don't want to be a drone working for a conglomerate. That would surely kill my spirit. Hey, it's not for everyone. I chased the dollar for a long time. I just chose not to do so anymore.

Okay, I found out I'm mortal. I want to live not die daily.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I am free.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Good luck believing you are a slave.
edit on 6-1-2015 by LOSTinAMERICA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Real wages have decreased dramatically but I don't see life getting any better for small business!

What a business needs is demand for the product or service. Without the demand, the cost really isn't the issue.

Corporations are making a ton of money but still aren't hiring. How in the world can you seriously say keeping wages low will increase jobs when the last 10 years have proved you wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join