It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard students protest soda fountains, claim dispensers are 'microaggression'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

I hate political correctness.

And I hate even more our new tendency to bend-over backwards for people because someone might be offended.

Both of these phenomenons need to just die.

I enjoy going out of my way to offend people everday because I want them to know that they can't do anything about it.

There whole argument boils down to "I see something I don't like, get rid of it."

These people need to be made aware that this sort of behavior is unacceptable.

I really think that we need to start forming lawsuits with the premise that we are offended that someone is offended.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

People who make it their mission in life to be offensive to others are just as bad as people who make it their mission in life to be offended by everything

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

"Dean... I want you to expel Danny because he might become offended at the thought of me becoming offended because Suzie didn't become offended over the fact that our #2 pencils are causing global warming and killing the rain forests."
This is where we're at now, not where we're heading.

That is funny!
Microaggression?
Is this like when police say "he looked at me funny"
Mind you this one of our TOP universities promoting this micrononsense.
I wonder if they have any microstudies or microdegrees one can get?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Boycotting is a form of protest. Many people find the Israeli occupation of Palestine reprehensible, why should they not boycott products made in Israel and encourage others to do the same?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

People who make it their mission in life to be offensive to others are just as bad as people who make it their mission in life to be offended by everything

Being "offensive" and taking offense are nowhere near the same moral equivalent when the person claiming to be offended demands you alter YOUR behavior because they don't like it.

I once did a talk at an inner city school, 90% black. I asked them if they thought freedom was a good thing. Of course they said yes.

Then I called them all the N word. Obviously they were offended. Some became angry.

Then I asked them, "Is it freedom when you allow another person to control how you feel and act, simply by saying one word?"

I showed them they have the power and the ability to CHOOSE how they feel about what other people say. It's not a requirement to be angry when somebody else doesn't like you. You have no moral right to force somebody to believe what you believe, or to bully them into acting in the way that you believe is appropriate.

The kids got it. Every one of them. I still talk to some of them, and they still thank me for sharing this with them.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Oh wake up college students. Using their logic, condom machines show disrespect for women and trigger sexual frustration in males.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If anything is a "microaggression" it's that these kids are so enraged over a soda fountain made in Israel. Does Harvard have any Israeli or Jewish student's? If so they must be walking on eggshells so as not to offend anybody. This is anti-semitic and ridiculous.

I can't help but look at this type of # and think that the Nazi's would be proud.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

If they do have Jewish and Israeli students they're probably keeping quiet.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

No.

The majority of things that people are offended by are trivial. Many of the things that offend us are cultural idiosyncrasies that have no bearing on reality.

There is nothing worse than a human being that does not question why they feel offended. Or perhaps, there is nothing worse than a person that not only refuses to not question why they're offended, but who uses force to stop people from engaging in an activity that they personally don't like--activities that, 90% of the time, have no negative affect on the person that feels offended.

Like cussing. Noone has a valid reason for believing that swear words are real things. The only reason the f-word is a "bad word" is because, you heard someone say it when you were a child--you repeated it--and everyone flipped out over something that they are incapable of explaining their reason for flipping out.

Basically, people become offended because the majority of human beings are painfully stupid. Going out if your way to offend people puts a stop to cultural stagnation.
edit on 3-1-2015 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Just buy domestic. Problem solved and it fuels the economy.

100% correct.

And so simple and beneficial!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon

No.

The majority of things that people are offended by are trivial. Many of the things that offend us are cultural idiosyncrasies that have no bearing on reality.

There is nothing worse than a human being that does not question why they feel offended. Or perhaps, there is nothing worse than person that not only refuses to not question why they're offended, but who uses force to stop people from engaging in an activity that they personally don't like--activities that, 90% of the time, have no negative affect on the person that feels offended.

Like cussing. Noone has a valid reason for believing that swear words are real things. The only reason the f-word is a "bad word" is because, you heard someone say it when you were a child--you repeated it--and everyone flipped out over something that they are incapable of explaining their reason for flipping out.

Basically, people become offended because the majority of human beings are painfully stupid. Going out if your way to offend people puts a stop to cultural stagnation.

Claiming to be "offended" then demanding somebody alter their behavior just because YOU want something is a learned behavior. It probably started at a kids soccer game when some kid cried because the first place team got trophies and he didn't. So they started giving trophies to everybody and quit keeping score.

You're 100% right about stagnation. Run a behavioral model for responding to being offended. With 7 billion people in the world, all claiming unique ways to be offended, we will create a homogeneous, totalitarian society. There's no other end game.

Diversity is doublespeak for homogeneity when the many are forced to change to accommodate the few.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
At the risk of T and C violation........

My response to the Palestenian Solidarity Comittee, and Harvard Islamic Society if I was an official at harvard?

"Shut the eFF up, If your priority is to pour focus into things like the soda fountains instead of education then get the hell off my campus"

Stupidity is rampant

edit on 1/3/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

With 7 billion people in the world, all claiming unique ways to be offended, we will create a homogeneous, totalitarian society. There's no other end game.

Diversity is doublespeak for homogeneity when the many are forced to change to accommodate the few.

Yes! This is exactly what I was trying to get at. They claim that they love diversity, but "diversity" is doing what they want you to do.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'd like to know what outside influences are pushing these pantywaist students to protest.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

No.

There is nothing worse than a human being that does not question why they feel offended. Or perhaps, there is nothing worse than a person that not only refuses to not question why they're offended, but who uses force to stop people from engaging in an activity that they personally don't like--activities that, 90% of the time, have no negative affect on the person that feels offended.

Yes.

None of that is what you said, and is not what my initial response pertains to. You said you go out of your way to offend people so they know they can't do anything about it. In effect, you live your life to troll people. You go out of your way to troll people. And that's just as pointless and just as bad as people who live their life to be offended on other people's behalf, and get offended by things for no other reason than somebody told them they should.

Had you posted your "explanation" first, I would have agreed with you.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Send the Palestinians home for being disruptive and ungrateful. A Harvard education is a privilege, if you have nothing better to do than kick up a fuss over something so trivial, go home.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

None of that is what you said, and is not what my initial response pertains to. You said you go out of your way to offend people so they know they can't do anything about it. In effect, you live your life to troll people. You go out of your way to troll people. And that's just as pointless and just as bad as people who live their life to be offended on other people's behalf, and get offended by things for no other reason than somebody told them they should.

Had you posted your "explanation" first, I would have agreed with you.

I don't see what the difference is in my delivery. Being offended is so highly subjective that your very existence is most likely offensive to someone.

I don't see what's wrong with going out of your way to offend people. People shouldn't be allowed to stop someone from engaging in an activity that offends them. If you find trolling to be obnoxious, then maybe you should question your reaction to the trolling.

If people weren't offended, it wouldn't be trolling.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

This isnt good when the "smartest" kids of that generation are doing this.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I hate political correctness.

I don't think this is political correctness. I think it's political bullying. It is a minority inventing influence by acting as the affronted.

If people don't like to use the soda fountains, then they don't need to. I feel that Harvard has lost any credibility by caving in to this stupidity and legitimised future demands. You'll see pork removed from the canteen, followed by segregation of the sexes, because pork offends, as do women.

Regards

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist

Send the Palestinians home for being disruptive and ungrateful. A Harvard education is a privilege, if you have nothing better to do than kick up a fuss over something so trivial, go home.

Rather than send them home, this would be a great opportunity for a school like Harvard to teach them that being offended is a choice. So is happiness.

I would have them do a field trip into Boston. Have them go up to everybody they see and say, "You know what? I don't like the color of your shirt. It offends me. I demand you go home and change it because I've decided to be unhappy over your shirt."

Then they could see how the real world is going to work once they leave the delusional world of academia.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join