It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard students protest soda fountains, claim dispensers are 'microaggression'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Naw, gonna take a hard line on this one. How many students in the US lost out going to Harvard because these guys took their place? Ending their opportunities would be the best lesson to learn to pick your battles.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon
I hate political correctness.

I don't think this is political correctness. I think it's political bullying. It is a minority inventing influence by acting as the affronted.

If people don't like to use the soda fountains, then they don't need to. I feel that Harvard has lost any credibility by caving in to this stupidity and legitimised future demands. You'll see pork removed from the canteen, followed by segregation of the sexes, because pork offends, as do women.

Regards

All of this behavior is being caused by political correctness.
edit on 3-1-2015 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: peskyhumans
If anything is a "microaggression" it's that these kids are so enraged over a soda fountain made in Israel. Does Harvard have any Israeli or Jewish student's? If so they must be walking on eggshells so as not to offend anybody. This is anti-semitic and ridiculous.

I can't help but look at this type of # and think that the Nazi's would be proud.

Actually you can find many Jewish students joining in with the boycott. Just because a person is Jewish doesn't mean they automatically support Israel. I am surprised that it was until the second page before someone started the Nazi crap.
edit on 3-1-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

This proves that Harvard is full of smart, rich morons too.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Boycotting is a form of protest. Many people find the Israeli occupation of Palestine reprehensible, why should they not boycott products made in Israel and encourage others to do the same?

Because people are speaking out against Israel this must not be allowed. Perhaps you need to be instructed on the proper way to think when it comes to Israel so please listen to Netanyahu whine a about the holocaust a couple a dozen times that should set you straight.

Some people just can't face the fact that this boycott is rooted in Israel breaking international law when they are occupying Palestinian land.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I don't think this is political correctness. I think it's political bullying. It is a minority inventing influence by acting as the affronted.

If people don't like to use the soda fountains, then they don't need to. I feel that Harvard has lost any credibility by caving in to this stupidity and legitimised future demands. You'll see pork removed from the canteen, followed by segregation of the sexes, because pork offends, as do women.

Regards

All of this behavior is being caused by our ideas political correctness.

When it is a boycott that is protesting against a nation that is breaking international law then it is the correct thing to do.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamschist

Send the Palestinians home for being disruptive and ungrateful. A Harvard education is a privilege, if you have nothing better to do than kick up a fuss over something so trivial, go home.

Yes because Freedom of Speech isn't allowed in America. Let your nation get stolen from you by a bunch of people who are whining the delusion it's our homeland and let's see if it's trivial to you.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Now we have a new term.

Psychiatrist and Harvard University professor Chester M. Pierce coined the word microaggression in 1970

What's new about it?

And this is at HARVARD!

LOL!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Am I reading this correctly that this was started by a Rachel J Sandlow-Ash? Yet she is a member of a Jewish alliance in the college. Not an anti Jewish alliance? So a Jew causes this uproar over an Israeli machine? Well, well what is the world coming to. I wonder if they had to crawl under the rear of the machine to find the manufacturers plate?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I was gonna say this my friend....

Then decided I don't want to deal with "self hating jew" rhetoric that is bound to follow.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

This is about a vending machine, not land. Get real.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamschist

SodaStream has been criticized for operating its primary manufacturing plant in the Mishor Adumim industrial zone, located inside Ma'ale Adumim, a settlement in the occupied West Bank and a Jerusalem suburb.

This is about Land, not a vending machine. Get real.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

SodaStream has been criticized for operating its primary manufacturing plant in the Mishor Adumim industrial zone, located inside Ma'ale Adumim, a settlement in the occupied West Bank and a Jerusalem suburb.

This is about Land, not a vending machine. Get real.

And what exactly will be gained? Will it change the manufacturer? Will they move their location? Will it change Israeli policy to occupy the West Bank? Imho no it will not. It serves no function except disruption. It is useless and silly. If they have an issue with Israeli policy, then protest that.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Regards

All of this behavior is being caused by our ideas political correctness.

When it is a boycott that is protesting against a nation that is breaking international law then it is the correct thing to do.

Boycotting tyrannical behavior is great, but they want to remove the vending machines on the basis that they could be perceived as offensive to Palestinian students.

That is a little bit stupid.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

I'd rather just show them the many Jewish orgs. that support boycotting Israeli products and politics and stand in solidarity with Palestine... there's probably some in that Palestinian Solidarity group at Harvard.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

No. They want to remove Sodastream machines (you can make your own soda with them) from the cafeteria because they are manufactured in the West Bank. Palestinian families were killed and forced out of area where the manufacturing facilities were built.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I am offended by all who disagree with me...
SEE, it means NOTHING ,bupkiss,zip.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

If you look into the history of why it could be offensive then you might not find it "a little bit stupid"...

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I don't think you understand.

This is a protest against Israeli policy.

Occupation & it's profiteering to be exact.

If you think that's "useless & silly" I don't know what to say to you to be honest.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Boycotting and protesting is our constitutional right, whether you think the reason is stupid or not. The day we start outlawing boycotting and protesting is a day I fear very much.

How about we start taking your guns away? Are you offended now? Will you protest then?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join