It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard students protest soda fountains, claim dispensers are 'microaggression'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
We are truly living in something worse than Orwell even imagined.

This is about Harvard having soda machines in the student dining hall that were manufactured in Israel.

“These machines can be seen as a microaggression to Palestinian students and their families and like the University doesn’t care about Palestinian human rights,” Rachel J. Sandalow-Ash, a member of the Harvard College Progressive Jewish Alliance, told The Crimson.

In April, the Palestine Solidarity Committee (PSC) and the Harvard Islamic Society (HIS) met with Harvard officials, “citing discomfort with the machines and the potential of the machines to offend those affected by the Israel-Palestine conflict.”

Now we have a new term.

Microaggression.

And of course, because we're now taught that we can never "offend" somebody, we have new policies based on the "potential" that we might offend somebody.

Isn't this the opposite of freedom? Manipulating what others can do by simply claiming to be "offended?"

And this is at HARVARD!

Spoiled brat entitlement meets political correctness. Makes me wonder if the parents of these kids ever said the word "No" to them. They probably didn't want to risk hurting their self-esteem.

www.campusreform.org...
edit on 3-1-2015 by Jamie1 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Just buy domestic. Problem solved and it fuels the economy.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
2 things here are completely insane:
That some group is mad because of where a machine is manufactured.
The fact that we don't even make soda dispensers in the US anymore.
You have got to be freaking kidding me!
Now we're staring down the barrels of 2 sweeping trade agreements that will further destroy what little manufacturing we have left.

Eta: suggestion for the potentially offended - drink Palestinian bottled water instead of soda.
edit on 3-1-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Oh FFS!!! It's a freaking soda fountain. WHO CARES!!! Replace it with a China made one.

Microaggression? This is ridiculous over such a minuet object. A soda fountain has nothing to do with any religious affiliation.

...smh

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

If we take out all things that were invented or produced by Israelis it could get complicated.

I think people need to be a little less sensitive.

Or should I say 'less microsensitive'?
edit on bu312015-01-03T10:02:47-06:0010America/ChicagoSat, 03 Jan 2015 10:02:47 -060010u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
2 things here are completely insane:
That some group is mad because of where a machine is manufactured.
The fact that we don't even make soda dispensers in the US anymore.
You have got to be freaking kidding me!
Now we're staring down the barrels of 2 sweeping trade agreements that will further destroy what little manufacturing we have left.

Eta: suggestion for the potentially offended - drink Palestinian bottled water instead of soda.

I think if you really started a count, you would find more than 2 things that are completely insane.

I wonder what happens when students start claiming they will become offended if somebody else is offended by them being offended?

This could get tricky.

"Dean... I want you to expel Danny because he might become offended at the thought of me becoming offended because Suzie didn't become offended over the fact that our #2 pencils are causing global warming and killing the rain forests."

This is where we're at now, not where we're heading.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
And like ...we are giving them the attention they um are like seeking.

like...Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I can't see a country with the population of NYC being able to produce much for a massive market like the States. That said, I always try to buy domestic.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
My cup feels like it is microaggressively invaded every time I get a drink from one of these.

THINK OF THE POOR CUPS, PEOPLE!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
And like ...we are giving them the attention they um are like seeking.

like...Peace

No we're not.

We are shining a bright light on their stupidity and entitlement-based tactics. They don't want this attention. They want to control other people's actions by claiming to be offended. They've never had any pushback, so now they've invented being microoffended by microaggression.

You no longer need to be the President of a school to run it. All you need to do is claim the President did something to offend you, and you dictate their actions.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

I think they should be more concerned with the micro-aggressive affects that each glass of that crap has on their pancreas.

"I want my sugar water to be as guilt free as possible!"

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Dude needs to take more classes. He's got too much time to sniff around soda fountains…

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I can't see a country with the population of NYC being able to produce much for a massive market like the States. That said, I always try to buy domestic.

I mentioned inventions too.
I think Israeli inventions could be considered micro aggressive also.
Here is the wiki page for Israeli inventions
No more cherry tomatoes in your salad either: Jewish News

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Trust me, this episode is mild compared to what's going on in our colleges.
My sister has worked at a major university for 20-some years. I spoke with her the other day
and she told me some stories that I just flat-out could not believe! She has two professor friends
who are counting the days down to their retirement, because they can't stand the environment there.

There are policies being instituted that can best be described as "insane". In fact, the insanity cannot be
overstated. There are departments and areas where you are discouraged from stating the word "English"
because it may offend someone. A friend of my sister's mentioned that a Middle Eastern student was
fluent in English, and was reprimanded for it. I'm not joking! Everyone there...instructors, students,
and all employees are warned to carefully evaluate their speech and think about what they're going to say, lest it offend someone.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I wonder how many of them are paying their tuition with money that's invested in companies like Goldman Sachs.

Do you think they'll return all the returns generated by their investment bank? Wonder if they'll just stop using cash because of the Jedeo-Christian microaggression on dollar bills?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Now Harvard will have to hire a 24 hour security guard standing by their soda machines to prevent them from being blown-up by a suicide bomber.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1

originally posted by: butcherguy

I wonder how many of them are paying their tuition with money that's invested in companies like Goldman Sachs.

Do you think they'll return all the returns generated by their investment bank? Wonder if they'll just stop using cash because of the Jedeo-Christian microaggression on dollar bills?

I was just thinking the same thing!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

Great point!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by:
intrepid
Just buy domestic. Problem solved and it fuels the economy.

If we did that in the US, people would call us xenophobic.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
We are teaching the new generation of leaders

that bullying others is acceptable

if you put the right spin on it

That the most important thing in life

is what you think

what you believe

And everyone else must think the way you think

or risk .......

or else......

And everyone else must believe the way you believe