It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2015-2021

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
As the holidays roll around once again and the christmas cheer of mass spending of money we dont have, i give you for the 5th year in a row Volcano watch 2015, its my gift to ats members . and best of all the research you do and the wonderful posts to each years thread , never ceases to amaze me . i dont post often my self but for me reading it and following it closely is kinda like eye candy .

www.abovetopsecret.com...(2014)
www.abovetopsecret.com...(2013)
www.abovetopsecret.com...(2012)
www.abovetopsecret.com...(2011)
www.abovetopsecret.com...(2010)
pic explaining the differences of the different type of quakes and harmonic tremors ...
the inner workings of your typical volcano .
a webicorder of a verious signals

the typical warning codes for planes and such.
a volcano eruption as seen from space .

edit on Mon Jan 5 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: to keep titles uniform

edit on Fri Jan 1 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Feb 7 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Nov 29 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Volcano in Tonga is erupting again.
Last happened in 2009 when it formed a new island.

Link: www.stuff.co.nz...

WOQ

Some info on Facebook about the volcano & a red tide near Nuku'Alofa.
Volcano related???

www.facebook.com...
edit on 13-1-2015 by wasobservingquietly because: More info.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly
Hunga Ha'apai volcano
yeah quite a development last few days, Tonga cut off for air travel
www.stuff.co.nz...
edit on 01u131315 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Eruption between Hunga Tonga and Hunga Ha’apai island on 15 Jan (pic from New Zealand High Commission)

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i remember that eruption, it was big news back then. the island is not done growing .. this is awesome

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Iceland's lava field biggest in over 200 years.

www.weather.com...

WOQ

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
** ALERT **

INNER EARTH IS ACTIVE

OR IS IT

More than one story here?

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I posted this in Quake Watch 2015, didn't know about this thread, where it really belongs.

So here goes...

On the morning of Wednesday January 21, Mexico’s Colima volcano exploded, sending over 4km of ash into the air. Over five minutes of dramatic natural activity is condensed into this time-lapse recording, which documents the rush of huge plumes towards the skies in an otherwise calm environment. Credit: Nicola Rustichelli

LiveLeak video

Source: Astonishing eruption of Mexico's Colima volcano captured on webcam
Looks spectacular !
edit on 21/1/2015 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

Stunning video, great find!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
There were a couple of quakes under the volcano yesterday M4.0 and M3.4 at 7km deep

a reply to: muzzy
May not be directly related to the two quakes, but still changes are happening.

Mt Ruapehu’s Crater Lake has been heating again. Since early December 2014 the temperature has risen from 15 °C and has now reached temperatures over 40 °C. Similar temperatures were reached in March 2011 and April 2014, before the lake cooled.

Data from a recent Crater Lake sampling (14 January) has shown there are several changes in the lake chemistry. In particular we see evidence for increased amounts of volcanic gas discharging through the lake. The increase in the lake temperature and gas discharge is probably indicative of renewed heating of the hydrothermal system under the lake. Observations from recent visits and pilot reports confirm some convection is present in the lake. The lake has changed from a blue/green colour to light grey as a consequence.

info.geonet.org.nz...

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Research to consider: Magma & Water & Viscosity

"One way to change the viscosity of magma is too add water. Water has the effect of depolymerizing magmas. That means that adding water breaks oxygen bonds in magmatic network. Indeed, a molecule of water is made of 1 atom of oxygen and 2 atoms of hydrogen (H2O). Such molecule will destroy the network by coupling its oxygen atom with a silica atom. The fact is that as already 2 atoms of hydrogen are linked with this oxygen, it won’t be able to link with other oxygen atoms forming the magmatic network. That leads to a decrease in viscosity."

magmamovesinfits.wordpress.com...

Water dragged into the earth’s interior by plate subduction at ocean trenches helps to melt rock.

Areas in the trench where there is the most water there is the least magma??? Why?

New insight from research from Washington University in St Louis done on the mantle of the Lau Basin & Tonga Trench in the South Pacific.

news.wustl.edu...

Basically what I understand is the more water added to the magma the less viscos (Sticky) it is and it moves away faster from that area. They use the example of adding warm water to an old starting to hardened honey jar. The water breaks the honey down and allows it to move again faster than it would without the water.
How would this apply to places like Iceland and Yellowstone?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Fuego volcano in Guatemala erupted suddenly yesterday. Its one of most active volcanoes in the area.

Guatemala volcano: Fuego eruption showers towns in ash

Scores of residents have been evacuated from their homes in southern Guatemala after the Fuego volcano erupted, the country's president says.

Clouds of black ash belched into the sky, while showers of rock and dust fell on to surrounding towns.

The international airport in the capital Guatemala City was closed as result of the explosion, President Otto Perez said.

It is expected to reopen later on Sunday, reports suggest.

The Fuego volcano is about 40km (25 miles) south-west of the capital and stands 3,763 metres (12,346 feet) above sea level.
BBC

posted on Feb, 21 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Earthquake swarm has started in Katla volcano, Iceland. There has been so far 18 earthquakes, strongest being magnitude 3.3, which starts to be pretty strong when talking about Katla. There is also arc of earthquakes in Öræfajökull - Grimsvötn - Bárðarbunga - Askja. This activity could continue, or stop, as Katla is very unpredictable volcano.

en.vedur.is...

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
cool pic

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
The Chilean volcano is one of the country's many active volcanoes. There's nothing really new here other than it is the real definition of awe, and awesome. But I do think this volcano is part of something much bigger. I have noticed a small uptick and clustering in the Americas. Particularly, South America, although I think there was a subtle push along the entire extent of the western coasts. And, much further inland. I know scientist believe that volcanoes are mostly local and so we can't link any other active world-wide. Well, I'm not an official scientist. (future note- if anyone in the future wants a full dissertation on how scientist are a lot like priests of time of old, set up a time and well talk- and believe I'll blow as violently as any volcano- let's wait a few years- i'm busy a present and must wait for my other theories to catch fire. the scientist that "invented" continental drift had to wait 30 years for a hearing, and Bentz?- he waited 40 years.- yes , i guess it will be a long time...) and, since I'm not a scientist, I can say that they are all connected. Iceland has just went quiet. Now, we will see the earth's pressure searching for another place to escape. I am becoming more convinced that there will be a large earthquake in the Americas fairly soon. Those of you that can remember things I've written the past on this subject will know I am looony. I am a lunar enthusiast. I believe we are going into a powerful "pump" cycle in the tides. I do think volcanoes react to the pull of the tides. You can find geologists and volcanologists who agree.

Also, I'd like to thank volcanoes for making me happy. Because without you, there'd be nobody or nothing to stop this old dirty ball from getting all hot and bothered. Since mankind does not have the ability to save itself, I thank "nature's balance" for stepping in to lend a hand. Also, the sun, for taking a break. I really needed it. I know everyone in the East Americas is sick of the snow, but I don't care. I love it. Didn't phase me one bit. What would people do if it was a real emergency???

What if all that stuff coming from the sky wasn't snow?
What if it was ash?

We couldn't leave the sidewalks and roads in such a state. The rain would mix with the ash and bring down our roofs. The dust would invaded your home and invade your lungs. Some people in the world live with volcanoes and can cope. But in our larger cities we can't even handle snow or our own waste. If Yellowstone blew- image how we wouldn't cope. We had a chance to prepare. We had a window... hmmm

anywho... Keep your eyes open over the next week or so and watch the moon and such. I don't know what it will be specifically, but I can say it will be weird. I don't know why I say that. I just have a hunch whatever it is it will be very odd and puzzling.

I'm going to take space and write about Yellowstone. I think the uplift has paused. It looks as if uplift was about 5cm. I'm going to find article and post.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

"YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Monday, March 2, 2015 11:01 AM MST (Monday, March 2, 2015 18:01 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (VNUM #325010)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Seismicity

During February 2015, the University of Utah Seismograph Stations, responsible for the operation and analysis of the Yellowstone Seismic Network, reports 73 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park (YNP) region. The largest event was a small earthquake of magnitude 2.4 on February 03, at 10:17 PM MST, located about 9 miles north northeast of West Yellowstone, Montana.

No earthquake swarm activity was present during February.

Yellowstone earthquake activity in February returned to low background levels.

Ground deformation

After a fascinating year of ups and downs, deformation in north-central Yellowstone has returned to near background levels.

Likewise, caldera GPS stations record little, if any, slow uplift. An example can be found at:

www.unavco.org... (click on Static Plots / Time Series)

The Yellowstone Volcano Observatory (YVO) provides long-term monitoring of volcanic and earthquake activity in the Yellowstone National Park region. Yellowstone is the site of the largest and most diverse collection of natural thermal features in the world and the first National Park. YVO is one of the five USGS Volcano Observatories that monitor volcanoes within the United States for science and public safety.

YVO Member agencies: USGS, Yellowstone National Park, University of Utah, University of Wyoming, UNAVCO, Inc., Wyoming State Geological Survey, Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology, Idaho Geological Survey

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Jacob Lowenstern, Scientist-in-Charge
[email protected] "

So, the uplift is mentioned and I agree that we are stalled. That is to also say that the ground is not subsiding. If there is a subsidence, then I will be happy to accept the idea the volcano is just breathing in and out. Rising and falling. That's not exactly what I've seen in the graphs. But I will wait and watch the graph before jumping to any conclusion.

Of course, part of me has already been there and done that. In my gut I think Yeller' is charging again. I think Idaho and Nevada are part of the equation.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The volcanic eruption in Holuhraun came to an end on Friday 27th of February.
I hadn't looked in for a while and missed it fizzle out?
Still some seismicity every day, but not much at all compared to the Aug-Feb sequences.
earthice.hi.is...

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

i know i should wait til they update their site ,but hey if this has not been posted yet, allow me to do so..

www.volcano.si.edu...

Asosan Kyushu (Japan) New
Fuego Guatemala New
Popocatepetl Mexico New
Soputan Sulawesi (Indonesia) New
Villarrica Chile New

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

23 March 2015, 4:00pm NZST - Volcanic Alert Level rises to Level 1; Aviation Colour Code remains Green (no change)

Seismic activity around Ngauruhoe has increased above the typical background level, indicating minor volcanic unrest. Consequently GNS Science has raised the Volcanic Alert Level to level 1 (minor volcanic unrest) from 0 (no volcanic unrest).

During the last two to three weeks there has been an increase in the number and magnitude of earthquakes being recorded by the GeoNet seismographs around Mount Ngauruhoe. Initial analysis indicates these earthquakes are shallow, occurring at depths of less than about 5 km.

info.geonet.org.nz...

I remember when Ngaurahoe erupted in 1974-5, drove past it on the highway going from Auckland to Wellington after a trip to Aussie, quite a sight.
I was so busy creating thumbnails I didn't really look at the maps after I created them, a few quakes showing on the 21st, two today, and a bit of a trail coming in from the West. Only 23 km from that swarm at Kuharau cone 1-15/3/2015
edit on 03000000818115 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If you like watching volcanoes, then an easy one to keep track of with mostly visible skies would be COLIMA in Mexico. Popo is also rumbling and spewing from time to time. But Colima is very regular and beautiful. Sometimes, in my crazier thoughts, I think that the earth is talking to me. Just me. I somehow see the beginning of humanity's long distance calling when I see the smoke signals. The Chinese did it. North Americans did it. (They're really just Chinese that we ended up calling "Native Americans") You can send out differing amounts of smoke that represent words. I imagine Colima is sending out smoke signals too. Except, since I am not a millennial baby, I remember learning Morse code and had a friend with a ham set who still uses one.

The volcano is sending me messages in Morse Code. The exhalations come in long and short varieties. Dots and dashes you could say. Now, if I really believed it, I could sit down and jot down Colima's message.

I imagine the message would read: " Man has ruled for a million years. Volcanoes ruled for billions. Or, have we forgotten? Time to remind."

Now for something a little less silly. When I'm watching Colima's smoke signals, I begin to see them as only cloud. Volcanoes give birth to clouds. I giggle and think this is the most simple idea for a simpleton. Direct. But, it's absolutely true. Volcanoes do make clouds.

I am so very sick of the Asteroid People. Everything is space rocks. Everything. The death of the dinosaurs= space rock. The moon's formation = one giant space rock smashing into another big space rock. Where did the earth's water come from? More dirty water space rocks called comets. No, really everything is space rocks.

No. The water was already in the big mass of stuff that eventually cooled and became the earth. The volcanoes distilled it and spewed it out to form the atmosphere. Volcanoes created the sky and oceans.

Space rocks are not the sole answer to earth. Earth is not just a dumping ground for space junk. The evolution of earth was engineered. Because earth has an engine. It's called volcanism. Earth's evoultion, both biological and geological, are driven by volcanic eruptions and ejections.

I didn't mean to write. I really just wanted to post a pretty picture or two and tell you to watch...

In this last shot, you can see a white cloud to the right which is an earlier exhalation. The new darker one is just exiting the caldera. So, in the end, this turned out to be two dots. So, we have the letter "i" .

I really wish I had the wherewithall to make more video clips. This last, last shot is really cool because it was so vigouros that you can see rock and ash sliding down the mountain.

I must warn you that today it seems that the wind is blowing the steam away from the camera view. Oh, well, maybe the wind will shift. I can't believe I don't know which way the camera is facing. Popo has like five cameras, and so far I only have one for Colima. Wow, me. Without even using translate, I looked down the page and they show the orientation of the camera. It's looking kinda northerly. Duh, Oh yes, a link for camera.

Link...
www.webcamsdemexico.com...

They have timelappsed video clips on the page. I'm not complaining, but I don't like them because there's so few frames that it appears to be in fast motion.

Just for fun I'm going to see if there's a message today. Here's a perfect picture of a dot. I think the longer ones will be dashes which makes a double dash which is a "m".

For today, I got two dots.

And the second dot makes an "i"

edit on 16-4-2015 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There was a large exhalation this morning. I think the message is, I'm big, watch me roar. I pick around four shots to show how big it grew. It was forceful enough to rise beyond the scope of the camera view.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join