It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Supreme Court Says Unanimously Your Boss Can Make You Work For Free

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I don't expect to be paid to ride the elevator and I don't expect to be docked for time spent talking to co-workers.

so you should be paid for talking to your coworkers but not for engaging in an activity thats actually pertinent to the job?

i guess that makes sense
edit on 14-12-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

There are scant details, but, the timing issue (for me) seems to be the sticking point...especially when the 1.5minutes are accrued over a year...

“The allegations in this case were simply not true – data shows that employees typically walk through security with little or no wait, and Amazon has a global process that ensures the time employees spend waiting in security is less than 90 seconds.”

gigaom.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

so if its little to no wait
whats the big deal
amazon wouldnt mind paying an additional few seconds of wages correct?

if its no big deal why do the employees have to make concessions and not the employer

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: akushla99

There are scant details, but, the timing issue (for me) seems to be the sticking point...especially when the 1.5minutes are accrued over a year...

“The allegations in this case were simply not true – data shows that employees typically walk through security with little or no wait, and Amazon has a global process that ensures the time employees spend waiting in security is less than 90 seconds.”

gigaom.com...

Then that employee is a liar.
I wouldn't want him/her working for me.

Å99

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Lemme see another word for forced unpaid labor would be???..hmmm..Oh I got it.. SLAVERY!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

so if its little to no wait whats the big deal amazon wouldnt mind paying an additional few seconds of wages correct? if its no big deal why do the employees have to make concessions and not the employer

1) Because Amazon was not the employer. Integrity Staffing Solutions, Inc. was.
2) Because the employees were not on the clock.
3) The employees did not have to make any "concessions."
4) The employees did not claim "an additional few seconds", they claimed 25 minutes a day. Not relevant but factual.

edit on 12/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirhumperdink

so if its little to no wait
whats the big deal
amazon wouldnt mind paying an additional few seconds of wages correct?

if its no big deal why do the employees have to make concessions and not the employer

Why would they want to pay an additional wage to someone who is not working? It's only a few seconds, no big deal, you can pay them right since it's such a piddling amount.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

1)irrelevant
2)the point of this debate and obviously contentious
3)they most certainly did (i think you kinda shot yourself in the foot with that one)
4)by your own admission "not relevant"

sooooooo
the employees were not working
in the same way you are not working when you yawn and stretch

yawning and stretching time will now be deduced from your pay
along with blinking time and thinking time

(also talking with other employees time.... that one should be real....and obvious .... somehow you think that one is ok though)
edit on 14-12-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Lemme see another word for forced unpaid labor would be???..hmmm..Oh I got it.. SLAVERY!!!

Except, they weren't working.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

I worked in a warehouse that was run like a prison (yellow lines to walk along, or you got written up, no running, .

ahahah, yeah
those pesky lines for people on foot are so silly, what with all the tow motors and # moving throughout.

im thinking if employees want to bitch about 2 minutes in line on the way out off the clock, then they would not mind of the employer expected them to go off the clock when they go to the bathroom and things like that.

this is getting ridiculous.

guarantee every single person in that warehouse spends more time ticking around in one way or another on the clock than they do waiting in that line.
you know it and i know it

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
this is actually turning out to be quite funny.
people think that walking through a check is working and they should be paid.

you know that want that extra 90 seconds of free pay but i bet they will not give up the 5-10 minutes a day easy they spend in the bathroom, you know, not working.
you know that wont happen.

i knew dudes at work that would clock in and immediately hit the bathroom to drop mud.
never mind they were there a half hour early, sitting in the lunchroom drinking coffee and chatting...could have used the crapper then but nope. gotta wait to clock in to do that.
we are talking every day....

you know these people arguing this only expect it to work one way.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

sooooooo

I can work while I yawn and stretch. Although it literally has nothing to do with the topic. If you clock out and yawn and stretch should you get paid for it? You are the one who said it was a similar thing. Both should not be paid for after you clock out, I agree.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

I'm not denying that, but my point was: I didn't like the way the place was run, so I left. These Amazon employees, on average, make $12/hr. If they're so upset about the whole thing, go find another warehouse job for the same crap pay.

After all, the United States IS the land of warehouses, there's always another job to get (despite claims to the contrary). Most employees won't go to a new job, because they don't want to have work their asses off in order to prove themselves all over again.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

3)they most certainly did (i think you kinda shot yourself in the foot with that one)
What concessions?

4)by your own admission "not relevant"
You brought it up. They weren't suing over a few seconds.

Right. When I yawn and stretch when I am not on the clock I am not working. I'm not working when I'm riding the elevator after work either.

yawning and stretching time will now be deduced from your pay
along with blinking time and thinking time
Actually, I'm paid to think because I'm pretty good at it and it is part of my job. But since I don't expect to be paid when I'm riding the elevator, I think that not getting docked for yawning works out ok, so I'm not complaining about not being paid for riding the elevator.

You are getting somewhat repetitive, btw.

edit on 12/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I can work while I yawn and stretch.

holy #
thanks for that
i know youre being obtuse but that was pretty great

i think were all here wondering just what important high profile job it is you have that allows you to yawn and stretch while still being productive

link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

After all, the United States IS the land of warehouses, there's always another job to get (despite claims to the contrary). Most employees won't go to a new job, because they don't want to have work their asses off in order to prove themselves all over again.

i agree.
i say it all the time.
there are always warehouse, factory, manufacturing jobs to be had.
no skill order filling for 12 bones an hour and they cant handle walking through a check?
unreal

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

i think were all here wondering just what important high profile job it is you have that allows you to yawn and stretch while still being productive

i wasnt.
i have the luxury of being able to yawn and stretch while doing my job too.
its pretty cool.
very liberating

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join