It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Supreme Court Says Unanimously Your Boss Can Make You Work For Free

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: Cyruay
Automation will be putting a lot of people out of work.

The labor for income game is slowly coming to an end.

Economies will have to change. Problem being certain job types will be phased out first creating havoc.

Boy is this ever TRUE ! Have you noticed the big push for people to be trained in the medical and "security" industries ? Someone is projecting that these are the types of jobs that are going to be in demand as people get sicker from all the crap in our food, air and water and pissed off !

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MountainLaurel

Why do you think I am switching to the Medical field. My wife is a nurse. If everything goes according to plan in a few years our combined salary will be $200k+. The worst possible outcome will be over $100k.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MountainLaurel

originally posted by: Cyruay
Automation will be putting a lot of people out of work.

The labor for income game is slowly coming to an end.

I think people will always be needed, but perhaps not as many will be needed to do things that can or will become automated.

Trust me, people will not be needed, technology will replace every single job, even prostitution.

LOL...that's Funny ! According to a recent Thread here on ATS, young men are opting out of real sexual relationships in favor of "Virtual" partners ?! IDK...."sexting" is replacing good old fashioned "make-out" sessions.....seems a crummy trade-off to me...but I'm getting old and I'm a weirdo !

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

the worst possible outcome is youre both out of work and or in the hospital with some debilitating illness that is costing you a couple hundred grand a month

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

its true though
the only reason automation is taking so long is a quick shift would crash the economy over night and be totally unmanageable
it would become apparent to people what was happening and they would not be very happy to be living with old world economics in a world with 21st century technology
there would be overwhelming demand to overhaul the system of economics we use (and the would mean a shift in power)

best advice is learn electronics and programming because everything from brain surgeons to burger flippers can and will ultimately be replaced
edit on 15-12-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

So if Amazon's contract said that each employee had to sign their first born over to them, it would be completely fine because the employee agreed to the contract?

Absurdities will get you nowhere.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Why do you think I am switching to the Medical field. My wife is a nurse. If everything goes according to plan in a few years our combined salary will be $200k+. The worst possible outcome will be over $100k.

Good Luck to you both, I've learned a lot from a good friend who is also a Nurse. She has given me some great insights into how Big Pharma has high jacked the Medical Profession. Again, I think as long as Corporations make policy by usurping our Governments ability or willingness to speak for the working man, we are in BIG trouble !

As I wrote in an earlier post, I opted out of corporate America. It seems like a whole other lifetime now, I couldn't or wouldn't do it over again. I justified it because I had a child to raise, but really I wish I would have worked less and spent more time with her. Perhaps that's one reason why I am so empathetic to these workers. When you still need to drive home, prepare dinner, get homework done, etc., etc., etc. before bedtime, 25 min. is a lot of time !

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: sirhumperdink

I think your right. It's really pretty mind boggling to contemplate what that is going to look like? I think it's more important then ever to pass down "old school" skills and trades. The more self sustaining your able to be the better !

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
With every issue that arises, you can choose to either participate or not. That includes jobs you view as unfair. Denial of victimhood...... to employers. After a while it will manifest in difficulty finding 'participants' and go the way of other failed policy.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

You compared this to slavery...?????

Edit: I removed about 9 lines worth of HHAHAHAH's I seriously spit out coffee as that was just complete inane ignorance.

Edit: To the OP. When I was at my research position in HI I often had to work in secure areas that had lines. Some mornings I would wait in line for 10-15 minutes waiting on security to check everyone. I had to factor that into my travel time for work as if I was late because of the line it was my fault, not security's. I also had to wait in the same line when leaving, but the afternoons were typically faster, around 5 minutes. I never once expected to be paid for that.
edit on 15-12-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The court's decision is right. Warehouse staff are not working at the time of the search, so why should the company have to pay them? The unfairness is that the search is conducted at the end of the shift, and takes a while to complete. So, if you are at the back of the line, you will be at work longer than the first one in the queue.

The workers should firstly take their grievance to their managers, and escalate things from there. Could the company not find an alternative method and time to do these searches? Are the searches conducted everyday, on everyone, and just how bad is staff theft at Amazon?

If after discussions with the company the staff receive no understanding at all and no change to the process, then the alternative is to try and seek work elsewhere. When you sign a contract with a company for warehousing work, you are agreeing to submit yourself to personal searches. If you worked right up to your time to be searched, then the company would be obliged to pay you.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think we need to consider the full consequences of the court system ruling the other way. Where would it end if the court set this precedence? People would be asking to be compensated for any action related to their employment. That would drive up base costs for goods and services, instantly adding to inflation. I'm not defending Amazon or the court's decision here. I do think Amazon is being at minimum inconsiderate to its employees but a decision the other way is potentially a scary scenario. Two crappy sides to the coin.
edit on 15-12-2014 by newWorldSamurai because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
What should have been done is that Amazon or whoever should have this done on their time.

But their so greedy they will always abuse their employees if given the opportunity

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: ForteanOrg

im certainly not speaking for you.....sir

Nor for my wife, my children, my brothers, their kin.. and for the millions who do NOT rob nor steal. Actually, most people are honest. Only 1 in 11 people shoplifts.. So, though there is a problem - 1 in 11 is still way too much - you can't say stuff like "people will always steal stuff". At least prepend it with "some" or "1 in 11". You're offending 90 percent of all people.

i mean people in general and i am correct
employee theft is a huge issue damn near everywhere...

Yes. But people in general DO NOT steal. About 10 percent does.

you think all those cameras in every retail outlet across the world are for watching the customers only?
you think those bank cameras are for watching the customers and not the tellers?
get real

I don't know why we have all these camera's. As a member of the silent 90 percent that does NOT steal from shops I feel offended by them.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I don't know about all of them, but the Amazon distribution warehouse closest to me ( and New York City ) is in Hazelton, PA I believe.The place is humongous! There are very few options in that area unless you want to commute an hour or more for a higher paying job. The punch clock should be at the door so they can be paid for the full time that they are there.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

I don't know why we have all these camera's. As a member of the silent 90 percent that does NOT steal from shops I feel offended by them.

If somebody comes up behind you in a public shop with cameras and decides to play the "knockout game" with your head, the camera's presence could be the difference between that guy being locked up or going Scott free. So get over yourself, shop owners have the right to protect themselves and their customers.

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This title is wayyyy over-sensationalized.. They aren't working, they're exiting the building. Yes, it sucks to have to wait that long but people wait in traffic every day too..

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

people often agree to a job knowing they will be doing certain things. this is one.
had another thread about someone complaining about working the holidays.
on the application and in the interview though, the availability is wide open. any shift, any days.
then, little by little it starts to become a problem...

this is along those same lines.

they did not have to take the job and they can always look for another.

But it's not fair! It says in the constitution those people awe owed those jobs! It's a God given right to work for Amazon! Why should they have to find a new job, Amazon should change their policy to accommodate the few! It's slavery!

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr
i do not support privitization.

And i'm not to keen on working for something just to make them profit.

Not how i roll. I don't see myself as a slave and i for sure don't think my own peronal time is worth any less than i think i deserve to be paid.

Oh what's that? You want me to clean toilets? I expect to be paid over 20$ an hour because im not touching any crapper unless i get compensated appropriately. Of course not everyone in this world can maintain this kind of procreative protesting because to many people out there rely on cash to survive.

I however still live with my family because living out on my own is much to expensive and even degrading.

I'm slaving a 9-5 just to have a roof over my head with the mare minimums and 0 free time.

That's defenantly slavery and i don't condone such actions.

The rest of you who are forced to slave for these assholes profits can work yourself to Death. I however know my breaths are numbers and am going to enjoy it the best i possibly can.

That's defanantly not slavery if you are being paid. Your post is so confusing I can't tell if serious or not. What does privatization have to do with anything? You think state owned manufacturing pays better? Ha.

You all can cry and complain and invent new scenarios as much as you want but it's pointless because none of it is going to change Amazons policy. You can blame the people that disagree with you but that too isn't going to change Amazons policy.

I suggest you quit shopping at Amazon, don't work there, and then open a business investing your own time and capital and hire people and then pay them for standing in lines making sure they don't steal from you or just let them steal from you. Because you know they will think so highly of your generous nature they won't take advantage of you any way.

Oh you are all employed by someone else instead of creating jobs and opportunities and futures for others? Dang, maybe next life.
edit on 12/15/2014 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/15/2014 by sputniksteve because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lil Drummerboy

Well I guess if it bothers them that much..
find another job..unless of course they are of the uneducated
group and have no skills.. then bummer for them

You're right there, but why do the searches take as long as they do anyway? They could move those lines along way faster if they had little kids working in the warehouses. Put them on 18-hour shifts and you further cut back on search time (aka Uncle Touchy Time.)

I'm sure there's enough toddlers whose families are desperate for food, medicine, etc., that Amazon could bring on to cut costs.

Down with citizenry! Up with Corporate Persons! Work em to death!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join