It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Supreme Court Says Unanimously Your Boss Can Make You Work For Free

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The day will soon be here when all workers will be exploited. You think your boss appreciates having to pay high salaries to you skilled and/or degree-holders? He only pays it because today he has no choice. If/when he finds a way to get your job done for less or preferably for free, do you think he'll choose to keep you on? The door will be slammed behind you in a New York minute and you all know it.

And don't forget there are educated foreign people who are capable and who would love the chance to come over and do your 'qualified' and skilled work for way less pay than you're getting for it.

So don't be cheering so loud when unskilled workers are abused and exploited by bosses - if you think of it as a practice-run in preparation for the the next workers up the ladder, the skilled, then it should wipe the smugness off your faces.

Don't think it can't happen.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

You think your boss appreciates having to pay high salaries to you skilled and/or degree-holders? He only pays it because today he has no choice. If/when he finds a way to get your job done for less or preferably for free, do you think he'll choose to keep you on?

No.
What's your point? That I think my employer employs me out of the goodness of his heart? I don't think that.

edit on 12/14/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: akushla99

Ya...we never hear of customers complaining of waiting in a line...sensors at amazon for staff?...seems like the most intelligent solution...but that would cost money, rather offset that layout, by lining thieving staff up after a shift and search them.

You think the employees are being hand searched?

They say workers at the Amazon plants take up to 25 minutes to wait in line to pass through metal detectors, a statement which Amazon countered.
www.techtimes.com...

No I don't.
My question is...Why is thier employee pilfer program Not picking up the translated figures of employee theft?

I don't have a problem with the expedient and effective programs of security measures. $6.99 is $7.00! 90 seconds (up to) is a minute and a half, multiplied by 5 working days equals, 7.5 minutes. Over the course of a year, this translates as time without pay...that amazon (or any company) would not tolerate from any worker...it strikes me as a type of hypocrisy that many have come to expect.

Cheers

Å99

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

My question is...Why is thier employee pilfer program Not picking up the translated figures of employee theft?
What do you mean?

Over the course of a year, this translates as time without pay...that amazon (or any company) would not tolerate from any worker
No it doesn't. Not according to the SCOTUS.

I don't suppose that warehouse workers spend more than 90 seconds not doing anything in particular while on the clock though. Wouldn't that be time without work?

it strikes me as a type of hypocrisy that many have come to expect.
Strikes me as common sense. Or maybe I should start putting elevator time on my time sheet. After all, I can't get to my office without it (or using the stairs).

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Another legal standing where you work and the employer does not pay:

Hired under the federal labor category titled "salaried exempt".

The premise is you are paid under a higher salary rate with the expectation that if the situation warrants, you will work a reasonable amount of extra hours without compensation. Mostly this is for IT dept. people, certain positions of importance. No where is the ceiling number of hours identified where the company shall pay overtime.

I've worked this for 23 years as a contractor and it can really suck.

But upon hire you must sign a decree that you acknowledge this putting you on the hook for it. You don't sign, you don't get hired. They argue you are doing this of your free will choice. It's a gun to the head so of course I'm going to sign it.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: tkwasny

No where is the ceiling number of hours identified where the company shall pay overtime.
Right, because you aren't being paid on an hourly basis.

But upon hire you must sign a decree that you acknowledge this putting you on the hook for it.
You mean a contract, right?

You don't sign, you don't get hired.
Ok. Or, if you're good enough you might try negotiating.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
And people hate unions and guess who doesn't have to worry about such trivial things. That would be union members. did that for 15 years and got paid to change cloths at the beginning and the end of my shift.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

You think your boss appreciates having to pay high salaries to you skilled and/or degree-holders? He only pays it because today he has no choice. If/when he finds a way to get your job done for less or preferably for free, do you think he'll choose to keep you on?

No.
What's your point? That I think my employer employs me out of the goodness of his heart? I don't think that.

The exploitation and bad treatment of unskilled workers will one day be inflicted upon skilled workers. Many in this thread are in agreement that unskilled workers don't deserve to be treated or paid properly, that the boss has a right to treat workers like crap.

When they've finished with the unskilled they'll start looking to do the same with skilled workers, and my point is when it's you that are being treated like crap we'll see if you're all still on the side of the boss, and if not, why not?

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Many in this thread are in agreement that unskilled workers don't deserve to be treated or paid properly, that the boss has a right to treat workers like crap.
I don't see any evidence of poor pay in this thread, or maltreatment. I see a guy who didn't want to spend a couple of minutes of "his" time getting out of the building.

When they've finished with the unskilled they'll start looking to do the same with skilled workers,
Not sure what you mean by "finished" but I do understand that most employers are interested in increasing revenue. Paying employees a competive rate helps do that, especially in the "skilled" category. There is competition for skilled employees, not so much for unskilled.

and my point is when it's you that are being treated like crap we'll see if you're all still on the side of the boss
Every time I have been treated like crap (or thought I was), I quit. It's happened twice.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
From my experience, being educated does not always equal skillful. a reply to: Lil Drummerboy

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

nope.
i never said that unskilled workers dont deserve to be paid properly...they absolutely do
its just that some are delusional and think for example $15 an hour is proper pay for a guy that dump fries.
fair pay is what i believe in. you know, working your way up, earning it, gaining skills. not having it handed to you.
things like that

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

screw that...if i'm an honest person working there I would be pissed and rightly so...

You should be. Pissed at the stealing thieves who caused the problem, not the people who are forced to hire more people and pay more money to prevent the theft.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
a reply to: MaMaa

So, in the USA it's allright to assume that somebody is guility until proven innocent as long as you pay him a salary??

No one is assumed to be guilty. When you go through airport security are you assumed guilty? Nope. It's ensuring no crime is committed, not saying one has been.

We all know most of the shoplifting is done by customers. But I haven't heard about forcing customers to stand in line to be searched.. why not then? If it's allright to scoff your workers and assume they are stinkin' thieves, why not do the same for your customers?

I used to work loss prevention, and employee theft from people in the warehouses and from store inventory in the back was a huge portion of our loss. As far as customers, we have alarms "searching" every customer, and we routinely stopped customers who "inadvertently" did not pay for things. I would personally recover 5-10x my wages each month from customers walking out with items not paid for.

Might the simple fact that employers feel superiour to their workers have something to do with it? "We pay the buggers, so we can order them around or else we will fire them"... right? Surely I'm mistaken...

No, maybe it's the fact the employees were stealing.

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

this reminds me of middle school
when the teacher would make the whole class stay to punish everyone if the real perpetrator never stepped forward

"blame them not me"
.....no the whole class is going to blame you

punishing one innocent is worse than letting ten guilty go free..... unless of course its at work
in which case "screw it....its their problem let them manage themselves"

.......sounds like someone may have a horse in this race

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99

Ya...we never hear of customers complaining of waiting in a line...sensors at amazon for staff?...seems like the most intelligent solution...but that would cost money, rather offset that layout, by lining thieving staff up after a shift and search them.

They say workers at the Amazon plants take up to 25 minutes to wait in line to pass through metal detectors, a statement which Amazon countered.
www.techtimes.com...

No I don't.

I don't have a problem with the expedient and effective programs of security measures. $6.99 is $7.00! 90 seconds (up to) is a minute and a half, multiplied by 5 working days equals, 7.5 minutes. Over the course of a year, this translates as time without pay...that amazon (or any company) would not tolerate from any worker...it strikes me as a type of hypocrisy that many have come to expect.

Cheers

Å99

Now you are complaining about 90 seconds when you earlier said the problem was 30 minutes and if it was shorter it would not be a problem.

Do they need to get paid to walk to their car too?

Seriously your argument has gone from bad to ridiculous.
edit on 14-12-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirhumperdink

this reminds me of middle school
when the teacher would make the whole class stay to punish everyone if the real perpetrator never stepped forward

"blame them not me"
.....no the whole class is going to blame you

punishing one innocent is worse than letting ten guilty go free..... unless of course its at work
in which case "screw it....its their problem let them manage themselves"

.......sounds like someone may have a horse in this race

No one is being punished. No one is being forced to stay after work until the thief comes forward. None of your analogies are even in the same zip code as what is actually happening.

Reasonable theft prevention is being utilized.
edit on 14-12-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

oh well if you say so

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Back in the 60s my friends mom worked for Mattel.

She smuggled all kinds of stuff out in a false bottom purse. Over 20 years I wonder how much she cost the company.

Of course some employees have sticky fingers. Good thing they didn't have sensors back then.

edit on 14-12-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

and i once knew a hobo that wiped his ass with gold nuggets and farted rainbows

therefor this is a major problem
and we need to start screening the homeless for rainbows as well as gold nuggets

also instead of simply monitoring them while theyre doing hobo stuff were going to require the screening be done with a fork at 2am

ignoring that
no one is arguing they shouldnt be checked or monitored in some way
the argument is its job related and for the companies benefit (and there is no opting out)
therefor they should be paid
whether it is 90 seconds or 25 minutes is irrelevant

....and if it is 90seconds amazon should have no problem reimbursing them right?
(or should responsibility fall on the employees even though the vast majority have absolutely nothing to do with it?)

edit on 14-12-2014 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: akushla99

www.techtimes.com...

No I don't.

Cheers

Å99

Now you are complaining about 90 seconds when you earlier said the problem was 30 minutes and if it was shorter it would not be a problem.

Do they need to get paid to walk to their car too?

Seriously your argument has gone from bad to ridiculous.

Include my quote where I earlier said "...the problem was 30 minutes".

Seriously, your claim that my argument has gone from bad to ridiculous is laughable.

Å99
edit on 14-12-2014 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join