It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Napster back from the grave?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
So Roxio has aquired Shawn fannings creation, "Napster" and the failed Pressplay service. With this Roxio now hopes to legitamize napster and become a contender in the online music service. But here is the KICK, Roxio (which is populer for Easy creator DVD, CD and the mac version called Toast) will not allow you to burn anything you download off the service....How can this possibly contend with the Itunes service? Or even Contend with other Peer to Peer systems like Kazza, limewire, morpheus, imesh, and the list could go on.

Personally, I would like to see the service work, especially since it has the potentional to be the ONLY decent one for windows platform. Also, since Roxio is using a very good search engine like Napster, it has some possiblities. Plus, Roxio has seen every mistake made by the orginal napster team, and it can only get better.

Though I don't think it can compete with itunes.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If you cant burn what you download no one will use it

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well I went to roxio website to check the current status of the pressplay service. www.pressplay.com is up and running. with the current scheme of things, it looks like you can burn CDs. As long as you have an account on the Pressplay service you can play your music...Not willing to try out the free 3 day trial, casue the service looks horrbile, maybe thats where the napster applicaiton will come in.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Forget Napster. Kazaa Lite and WinMX all the way!!

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
of course you can burn them on a cd, there is always some geek that writes a small program to convert the protected mp3 file to a normal mp3 file

I think that the Itunes service it brilliant, and am willing to pay 99 cents per mp3. I just don;t have an apple and a credit card, but I heard that they are working on a similar program for windows and other systems.

I hate kazaa, today I tried to download the matrix reloaded, but I got saving private ryan instead
I did look at both the title and the filename, but they changed both of them to the matrix reloaded.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I still would like to see a service where you can download audio files for a small monthly fee, that way the artists and labels can be compensated and I can get good music legally.

I have heard of a service like this being offered since they shut Napster down, but havent seen anyone actually try it. Does anyone know anything more about this possibility?

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I got matrix reloaded ... search for pio or tmd for a list of MOSTLY working movie's. Some people are idiot's though. I'm still having no luck with finding nemo

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 05:13 AM
link   
i got matrix rereloaded from emule with a very good quality, k-lite and emule for me

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
HEHE ... I just got done downloading the promo dvd for LOTR: 2 Tower's LOL

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hell, KaZaA Lite K++ with the kazap .dll installed. Nothing can beat this!

Got the Centropy version of The Matrix Reloaded (2.4GBs, awesome quality) and I downloaded the Academy screener of LOTR2 which happened to be a proper 5GB DVD with DD5.1 audio early this year.

Hell, the version of the Matrix 2 I downloaded is what everyone is selling on eBay for about �30 a piece.

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 09:13 AM
link   
simon, could you give me the exact filename and title as you downloaded it off kazaa?

I have been looking for a few days now, but most of the shared matrix reloaded movies are in fact, scarface, starwars and other movies

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
who needs napster when you need kazaa, or morpheus

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I hate kazaa, today I tried to download the matrix reloaded, but I got saving private ryan instead

Hey ZION I got a copy of The Matrix Reloaded on my computer. If you want I can make you a copy and send it to you. Lemme know ok.

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   
hey Ocelot can you please send it to me. I've been wanting to go see it. If you want to send it to me just send a U2U to me and i will give you my email address

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zion Mainframe
I think that the Itunes service it brilliant, and am willing to pay 99 cents per mp3.

considering the fact that I have 4k+ mp3's on my computer I wouldnt pay for them...Kazaa Lite is incredible. I have over 300 dvd's I d'l from it....I usually wait awhile b4 trying to d/l brand new movies due to the fact that they are usually poor quality (someone taped the movie with a handheld video camera)

top topics

join