It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish police raid the Piratebay, site offline

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Police in Sweden carried out a raid in Stockholm today, seizing servers, computers, and other equipment. At the same time The Pirate Bay and several other torrent-related sites disappeared offline. Although no official statement has been made, TF sources confirm action against TPB.

Swedish Police Raid the Piratebay, Site Offline

The news article may be from a lesser known source, but I found it while doing some digging to see why piratebay.se has been down for over 2 days (according to isitdownrightnow).

According to police sources, raids were carried across Sweden in the past few days connected to protecting intellectual property. Several other torrent related sites including EZTV, Zoink, Torrage and the Istole tracker are also down. The raid centered on a stronghold in Nacka which is built into a mountain. It gets serious when you have a data center built into a mountain!

Could this be the final raid that shuts down the pirate bay? One notable difference from what I've noticed in the past is that the proxy websites I tested were also not working.
edit on 11pmThu, 11 Dec 2014 13:35:06 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
wow.
thanks for the heads up

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Good riddance, I say. Pirating may have been acceptable back when getting content online was next to impossible. Now, with the advent of cheap, easily accessible content distributors like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc, I don't see a need to torrent shows that I've missed because I can just go watch them on Netflix, on the the content producer's website itself like AMC.

As far as software piracy, I think the prices of some pieces of software (like photoshop, etc) are restrictively high, and should be lowered, but people shouldn't have to resort to piracy. There's a ton of freeware programs out there that perform just as well.

Music pirating should be a thing of the past as well. When you can buy a song for a dollar, there's no reason to pirate it unless you're just a cheapskate.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

its never going to go away railgun.
this is not even a wrinkle really.

as i said in my thread, i think it is a shame they attack these sites that simply point people in the direction of a file when google does the same exact thing.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Google gets away with a lot, if you really think about it. I think it's a good thing they are able to maintain being an uncensored search engine, but for how much longer?
edit on 11pmThu, 11 Dec 2014 13:37:47 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Oh I know pirating will always be a thing, and will never be stopped. This barely slows it down at all. Piratebay is but one very, very small subset of the pirating world. They were targeted and wiped out because they are widely known, and that's all.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

im glad its uncensored too.
i just dont get how tpb and other sited like that can be shut down for pointing towards files but google gets a pass.
you dont need tpb or any other site like that to find the files

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah most of these comments pretty much sum it up...

TPB ( or a variant thereof ) will be back up in days.

As a software engineer of some 102480912 years, I have to say that without the ability to pirate things like Visual Studio or Dreamweaver or Photoshop, I would have never become the engineer that I am today - and my spread of talents ( in computing, it's extensive ) would be much thinner without them.

As far as the right to intellectual property; it's my opinion that there is a balance between what is acceptable and what is not. For instance: I currently have pirated versions of just about every program you can conceive of... try me... but until I release a product to the market at large, and begin receiving revenue for it - there isn't much of a reason why I shouldn't be entitled to these products for at the very least educational purposes [ETA][ without which, millions of would-be software engineers, graphic artists, video producers, 3d designers; would never become such ] - however, on that same token; people like myself ( probably fewer and further between these days ) will frequently release a product that had been developed in pirated software, and then after a brief stream of revenue, simply purchase those products so as to not be infringing. This is my plan, and I know I'm not alone.

Nobody wants Microsoft to step in and shut down your new billion dollar game ( for instance ) because it's running on pirated windows server OSs - you pirate the OS for a demo for people that don't care, but have money, and then they buy you 500 licenses so you can release properly.

There's a line. Just like with everything.

... If... Someone ( <_< ) put together a 'Self-Replicating Torrent Site Platform', and if that platform were distributed to the community, it would effectively render the pirating community impregnable. A 'torrent-cloud' if you will, that exists in perfect replication [TotalGlobalPirates * 0.001] times. Assuming 0.1% of pirates are probably capable of hosting and don't know it, or don't have such a platform. Figuring probably a billion people have 'pirated' something in their lives; I come up around a million sites at this ratio - which ... could never be destroyed in whole. Never. And it wouldn't even take that many. Just... Throwing that out there though.
edit on 11-12-2014 by DigitalJedi805 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

Somewhere, deep in a recessed corner of a nondescript office building in Washington DC, an NSA Employee just spit coffee all over his monitor.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
a reply to: darkbake

im glad its uncensored too.
i just dont get how tpb and other sited like that can be shut down for pointing towards files but google gets a pass.
you dont need tpb or any other site like that to find the files

"Distribution of resources that provision theft" if I had to give it a term; but really a .torrent file has Very little to do with the actual distribution of the file - it's simply, as you alluded, a 'symbolic link' to peers that are distributing the file(s).

Now... Contrary to my own preference in the matter... It IS possible to effectively stop torrenting altogether; it would just take the cooperation of ISPs on a pretty grand scale. I'll not allude to specifics for the sake of self-preservation.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Somewhere, deep in a recessed corner of a nondescript office building in Washington DC, an NSA Employee just spit coffee all over his monitor.

ROFL! Yeah... I bet he did too. Yelling for a towel so he can send the email now.

Lol I'm still rolling on that one... That's gonna keep a snarky grin on my face for the rest of the day.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

its only cheap because of pirating you muppet once they eradicate it they will bunk up the price all the companys that provide internet streaming will price fix and you will be stuffed

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: aightism2

its only cheap because of pirating you muppet

i for realz just had hot mint tea come out of my nose after reading this line

thank my friend.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Pirate Bay will be back .. theyve been through this before and survived ..

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: aightism2

A fair point, though I don't think the issue of price fixing will be much of a problem. If prices go too high it no longer becomes a viable replacement for traditional cable or satellite television and people will simply abandon it.

Not sure why I'm a muppet though. Although, they are pretty cute.

Thanks for the compliment I guess?
edit on 11-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: Why does english have so many particle words? Ugh.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

thing is though railgun, the price of cable tv is high.
the price of physical music is high. digital downloads are cheap(i suppose) because of piracy
i have netflix. its cool.
hulu is mediocre

there is a lot of content, especially current tv shows that are not on either and cable charges your first born for access.

it is the world we live in.

it is one of those things that can not be undone.
they will have little victories like this i guess but it changes nothing and stops nothing.
all those files being shared are still being shared. they stopped absolutely nothing

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I agree 100% with you, actually. I was merely positing in the hypothetical event that piracy magically vanishes one day.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
they stopped absolutely nothing

They kinda encouraged me to build a self-replicating torrent site platform, even... :-/

*pauses for NSA siege of this IP*

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

"Guys, he said it AGAIN. I think this is serious! WHERE'S MY TOWEL?!"
edit on 11-12-2014 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Hulu,Netflix,Amazon on Demand etc all suck.

Especially Hulu with those damn ads that is worse than commerical tv.

There is nothing that offers the sheer amount of content that p2p gives people.

P2P sites come, and go, but they are like the real life version of hydra cut off the head of one more grow back in its place.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join