It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

English Bulldogs - Rescue, and stop driving up the demand for excessive breeding

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is my girl, Tonka

This is a short video of her, at rest. Watch her labored breathing.

She is a rescue. She was bred from the moment she was sexually mature. Her physical features are exaggerated due to excessive over breeding. She was abused through lack of attention, and is desperate for any form of human interaction. She is a true joy to be around.

The only thing she was trained to do before I rescued her was to go to the door to let her breeders know that she needed to go outside to go to the bathroom. They didn't care about anything else, even though she desperately wants to please and receive praise.

She was found in an apartment after it was vacated by five days. Her litter of puppies were dead. She had no food or water, probably leading to the dead litter of puppies. Feces and urine were all over.

Due to over breeding, her teats were so extended from nursing that they were distended to being about two inches from the ground. One entire row of teats had to be surgically removed due to cancerous tumors. Her tail had to be removed because of abscessed and ingrown hairs. I'll say it again. Ingrown hairs.

Her mothering instincts, never truly coming to fruition because her puppies were sold off so the breeders could have an income, are so strong she is amazingly tender and protective with my children.

You couldn't want a better companion or family member. She's not a pet, she's my daughter.

This is why I often show more sympathy for animals than "human beings". We are so self aggrandizing that we've lost touch. It's sickening.

English Bulldogs are wonderful. They've truly enhanced my life, and healed many wounds I've occurred.

Please rescue. Know what you are getting into with this, or any other wonderful breed that is a good match for you and your family.

-NF
edit on 11-12-2014 by nullafides because: Problems with video

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
That's a sad story and anyone who mistreats an animal should be shot in the face imo.

The world would be a better place without them.

S&F.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

What a wonderful thing you've done. Bulldogs are truly awesome pets, but, sadly there are too many people abusing them...simply for profit.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
That's a sad story and anyone who mistreats an animal should be shot in the face imo.

S&F.

Waste of a perfectly good bullet.

Sentence them to cleaning kennels 20 hours a month for a minimum of five years. More if they are unemployed.

My brother has an English. Almost two years old now. He puts the 80 pound boxer in his place. And may the Universe shine on the OP for the outpouring of kindness.

edit on 11-12-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Those types of dogs can't do natural birth,thats why they are so expensive....vet bills for extracting the pups.
I have a couple buddies with bulldogs,one an English bulldog and the other an American Bulldog.
Both sweet dogs.....we had to rescue the American one out in the woods once,he got hit by blackflies and his face swelled up...he still looked at us like "hey guys,why are you looking at me like that"
Very nice breed....their breathing is an issue and because of it their food dish should be propped up at their eye level.

Hard breed but great dogs.
Also...they are very lazy dogs LOL

edit on 11-12-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Shooting in the face is entirely too good of a way to go.

I firmly believe that the ways you mistreat an animal, you should be forced to endure. The exact same mistreatment, duration, conditions, etc.

Forced to live in solitude for your entire life outside, chained, not part of your family or pack given that dogs are pack/family oriented? You get the same treatment, for life.

Breeding harnesses that hold you in position to be mounted and bred ?

Hanging, drowning, electrocuting and shooting?

Forced to fight for your life while people are betting on your odds and cheering on your victory or horrific death?

The Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting investigation began in April 2007 with a search of property in Surry County, Virginia, owned by Michael Vick, who was at the time quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons football team, and the subsequent discovery of evidence of a dog fighting ring. Over seventy dogs, mostly pit bull terriers, with some said to be showing signs of injuries, were seized, along with physical evidence during several searches of Vick's 15-acre (61,000 m2) property by local, state and federal authorities. The case drew widespread publicity to the issues of animal abuse and dog fighting. It also drew attention to unlawful gambling and drug activities which authorities claim often accompany dog fighting. Subsequently, Vick and three other principals were convicted of federal offense conspiracy charges and imprisoned. Vick was suspended by the NFL, was ordered to pay the Atlanta Falcons back a portion of his earnings, and lost endorsement deals worth millions more. With other creditors also attempting to collect millions of dollars in debts, in July 2008, he filed for Chapter 11 (reorganization) bankruptcy protection.

Source

Michael Vick, Hero, and his current NFL Career.... Past apparently forgiven...

BIG MAN REAL MAN TORTURER OF DEFENSELESS ANIMALS SPORTS HERO CHILDREN LOOK UP TO
edit on 11-12-2014 by nullafides because: I'd do everything to him he did to those animals....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I believe if people want a dog, they should first start with some sort of adoption. My wifes mother breeds dogs, and it drives me crazy. I cant stand going over there seeing her dogs all female, almost all are always pregnant. I have told my mother in law before that I dont think she is helping anyone by breeding so many dogs, but she just doesnt see it that way. She thinks that she is supplying a family with a dog, but what amount of damage is it doing to her own female dogs breeding them so much. I cant stand it. i adopted my Golden Retriever, he has been the most loyal and amazing dog i have ever had. I got him when he was one year old, skinny, not loved, and sad. Now he is loved, good and healthy. So many dogs just wanting to be loved, not breed till they cant breed anymore.

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

All the more reason to give loving homes and care to those that are ALREADY here and DESERVE/NEED it.

I am no huge fan of the AKC...but...

AKC Rescue Network

I am well aware of the costs of vet assisted caesarian section births required due to the physiology of the English Bulldog breed. This, however, is no reason to make a production line for pure profit of any animal.

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I believe if people want a dog, they should first start with some sort of adoption. My wifes mother breeds dogs, and it drives me crazy. I cant stand going over there seeing her dogs all female, almost all are always pregnant. I have told my mother in law before that I dont think she is helping anyone by breeding so many dogs, but she just doesnt see it that way. She thinks that she is supplying a family with a dog, but what amount of damage is it doing to her own female dogs breeding them so much. I cant stand it. i adopted my Golden Retriever, he has been the most loyal and amazing dog i have ever had. I got him when he was one year old, skinny, not loved, and sad. Now he is loved, good and healthy. So many dogs just wanting to be loved, not breed till they cant breed anymore.

Thank you. I'm not christian, but I believe somewhere someone is taking notice of your loving nature.

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Hi! While I'm not a fan of brachycephalic breeds (smashed faces), I can tell your girl is a sweetheart. Thanks for rescuing her and loving her as much as you obviously do!

I also strongly support rescue. Two of my four dogs were rescues. The other two were bred by a very good kennel in Oregon, not a backyard breeder or puppy mill, where most of the abused animals come from.

Just a few things I like to stress:

Spay and neuter your pets!
NEVER buy from a pet store (they come from puppy mills) or from your neighbor who casually bred a couple dogs.
Rescue! Rescue! Rescue!
If you want a full bred, healthy dog, do the research and find a reputable breeder!

Backyard Breeder vs Reputable Breeder

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Those types of dogs can't do natural birth,thats why they are so expensive....vet bills for extracting the pups.

Also...they are very lazy dogs LOL

Actually, about 25% of the females are capable of perfectly natural and normal birth. Just like humans, some are born with broader hips than others. Not common, but it happens.

Not every breed is a good match for every person. I'd go nuts and have to kill a jack russel. My sister in law had a miniature doberman...the most pathetic and annoying thing I'd EVER encountered in my entire life.

And yepp, they English Bulldogs are wonderfully lazy with bursts of hyperactivity. The only thing I lament about this is the fact that the only real playmate they can have among other dogs is another bulldog. They simply have zero stamina , DUE TO OVER BREEDING, compared to other dogs.

The dog park is out of question for them. Such a shame.

But hey, I adore their laziness (my butt is in the middle of a torrid and steamy love affair with our couch), the relentless torrent of new and amazingly disturbing noises (again, due to overbreeding) they create, and their absolute indestructability....hence, her name is Tonka

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You rock!

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

S&F.

Sentence them to cleaning kennels 20 hours a month for a minimum of five years. More if they are unemployed.

My brother has an English. Almost two years old now. He puts the 80 pound boxer in his place. And may the Universe shine on the OP for the outpouring of kindness.

I'm touched. Thank you.

BTW, my lvl 6 rogue flanks your Owlbear and sneak attacks for an ADDITIONAL 48 points of damage!!!!!

-NF
edit on 11-12-2014 by nullafides because: Geek ON!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

What a wonderful thing you've done. Bulldogs are truly awesome pets, but, sadly there are too many people abusing them...simply for profit.

Again, thank you for your kind words

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Sorry the breed should not be able to continue, those and many types of "pedigree dogs" those and King Charles spaniels and ridgebacks also.
We have breed them so they are born into pain and it is not fair on any animal to be born into pain.
Breeders have inter bred them so much that many of them do not look like they used to do a hundred years ago when they were genetically better off.
Many animal charity's are calling for the breeding of some types to stop.

I urge people to watch Pedigree dogs exposed.

en.wikipedia.org...

We have to let the breeds die out because they are inbred and genetically broken.
Sorry about you dog but her breathing is due to interbreeding and many suffer the same fate.
Give her love until she passes but do not fuel the trade which is just wrong for the poor animals.
edit on 11-12-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

originally posted by: the owlbear

S&F.

I'm touched. Thank you.

BTW, my lvl 6 rogue flanks your Owlbear and sneak attacks for an ADDITIONAL 48 points of damage!!!!!

-NF

I "rescued" a Boston Terrier from a mall pet store. He was born without a tail and his bunghole stuck out about a centimeter for a dog that was only 9 inches long. Three litters of bostons came and were adopted, yet he was there. It was a new city for me, I went to play with him every day and asked the clueless mallrats who worked there if anyone had considered buying him. They said no. Cuz his butt stuck out. One girl thought it was great that I took time out of my day to come give him attention.

I finally gave in and took my meager savings and bartered with the owner for the little guy. Had to take him to the vet to get rid of all of the parasites he had. And had to wipe his butt every day I was with him. But you couldn't find a more loyal, loving dog. He's with my kids...I got to see him as a stipulation of the divorce for one hour. He's blind in one eye and half deaf, but he recognized me after he got past the cat smell...love that guy.
I would do rescue, but we have four cats...
after two leave this world, we are doing the rescue and adoption thing. Bostons, pugs, all the breeds benevolent heretic doesn't care for...

By the way, we didn't roll for initiative.

edit on 11-12-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Magic missile quick!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I don't blame you one bit for saving the poor little guys life. The whole rectum extended definitely would have struck me as intestinal parasites. He owes his life to you....

Dogs....God's crack "Hey, wanna try some of this?"...

And there is no initiative, I rolled a nat 20....so sorry...

-NF

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Magic missile quick!!!!

Evards Black Tentacles....what's the square footage we're dealing with here ?

-NF

PS, I hate that spell as a DM...what a pain.....

posted on Dec, 11 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Did you perhaps miss the intent of my thread? Rescuing instead of buying?

That is essentially what you are asking me to do, is it not??????

OKayyyy....

-NF

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join