It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NLBS #26: Eric Garner's Death, and the Hypocrisy of the NYPD's Broken Windows Policing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
The broken windows policy fits right in with other racially discriminatory practices like stop and frisk.

These types of policies target poor and predominantly minority communities. It's a disgrace. It further solidifies the movement against excessive police tactics and racial targeting for profit at the cost of our countries poor.

It's BS...and l hope the protests continue, albeit peaceful. To bring too attention America's class of citizens who do not suffer because they are well to do or a certain skin tone. Have a look and see what it's like to be poor or a minority. Your a target just because you are.

If your homeless your a vagrant and removed. If your walking down the sidewalk your stopped and frisked. If you protest your met with paramilitary police and tactics. If you assert your rights your intimidated. If LEO want your car they take it.

Eliminate the war on drugs, for profit prisons, excessive police tactics. Demilitarize police forces as not to be seen as an occupying force.

And then maybe, just maybe, we can bridge the gap in our communities and build partnerships with LEO people can trust.

Hopefully the protests can shed some light on many issues that affect us all.

edit on 4-12-2014 by Daedal because: edit

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
"I can't breath" spoken eleven times during the application of a chokehold is murder. It's disgusting that black and white gets wrapped up into the issue, seeking to cloud and confuse a simple issue.

Choking a man to death is NOT a police officers job. We have prisons filled with hyper-violent felons who got there without having been choked to death.

There was a reason Andy never let Barney have more than one bullet. It's because he knew Barney would go on a power trip. Somebody, somewhere forgot that lesson and now we've got countless Barney's walking the streets, grinning, and waiting for the day YOU get lippy with them so that they can "do their job".

Disgusting.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Same principal as a public trial.

Bunch of strangers deciding ones fate.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

In the case of Eric Garner it was one not-so-stranger ( as evidenced by his last words ) who decided his fate.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

i disagree.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

i disagree.

That's fine I think some people on ATS have forgotten that its fine for people to disagree on things.

Makes the world an interesting place.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

In the case of Eric Garner it was one not-so-stranger ( as evidenced by his last words ) who decided his fate.

It was Garner who decided that when he failed to comply with a leos orders.

We don't get that luxury. We never have.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Are you suggesting that resisting arrest or standing up to a cop is grounds for immediate, summary, on the spot Capital punishement???

Did I miss the part where we dropped our rights and now have Judge Dredds roaming the country?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Are you suggesting that resisting arrest or standing up to a cop is grounds for immediate, summary, on the spot Capital punishement???

I expect better Heff.

So headlocks are now 'capitol punishment' !!!!

Did I miss the part where we dropped our rights and now have Judge Dredds roaming the country?

Well hell that guy should have moved on to someone else.

Of course cops don't have the LUXURY from walking away from people who resist arrest.
edit on 4-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

So much wrong with this post that I'm sort of stymied...

Are headlocks Capital punishment? It was in this case. In fact the headlock is known as a Cobra or sleeper choke hold and is so dangerous that it's even banned from professional wrestling - because it can cause accidental death or loss of blood flow to the brain. In MMA it's application is only allowed for moments before a match is called.

As far as saying the cop didn't have the luxury of walking away? He absolutely did. There were several cops on scene and if this particular officer was too emotionally charged and pumped up - he should have steered clear and stayed back as support, allowing another officer to take the lead. Instead he snuck up behind a man who was NOT physically resisting and placed him in a chokehold.

If anyone else, other than a cop did this, it would be Murder One.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I agree so much is WRONG.

Think i will get my facts from here instead of opinions on ATS.

Like:

The Grand Jury heard from 50 witness's.

22 civilian.

4 VIDEOS.

Not just one.

www.scribd.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

If you're implying that I get my information solely from ATS, then I need to let you know that is not the case. As far as trusting the Grand Jury and Prosecutor?

Neo... when did you become a fan of Big Brother?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

No stating a fact no one here has the SAME information as the grand jury had.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I agree so much is WRONG.

Think i will get my facts from here instead of opinions on ATS.

Like:

The Grand Jury heard from 50 witness's.

22 civilian.

4 VIDEOS.

Not just one.

www.scribd.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Why is the prosecutor, who's trying to make the argument for public trial, supplying ALL of the evidence behind closed doors?

Why didn't the prosecutor just show up with the video and say "Good enough?"

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
if you won`t accept the grand jury`s decision and move on then you`re basically saying that you don`t support our system of due process,without due process we would have anarchy.
when you commit a crime and then resist arrest you have accepted responsibility for whatever might happen to you.
if you value your life then you won`t put it at risk by committing crimes and resisting arrest.
when you choose to cross the line and become involved in criminal activity, one of the occupational hazards is that you might be killed.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: theNLBS

Why do people claim to believe in 'innocent until PROVEN guilty' in a court of law.

When they just pay lip service to it.

When the outcome doesn't agree with their already preconceived opinions. They shout 'rigged'.

I guess no matter where one goes in this country every single cop is guilty of something.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Joey got me to thinking.

After the Zimmerman media circus that was a 'public' trial that was a fiasco.

We have had two grand juries.

I guess they learned their lesson. It was easier for the race baiters to spin in their favor.

I am sure there was pressure from the department of injustice to make them 'secret'.

So they come in at the last moment, and dish out 'justice'.

What is going on now, and then has always been more about politics, than 'justice'.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Not for nuthin, but where exactly did Garner die?

Right there on the sidewalk, in an ambulance or hospital?

What was the official cause of death?

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Not for nuthin, but where exactly did Garner die?

Right there on the sidewalk, in an ambulance or hospital?

What was the official cause of death?

6. Garner did not die at the scene of the confrontation. He suffered cardiac arrest in the ambulance taking him to the hospital and was pronounced dead about an hour later. Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com www.Newsmax.com...

www.newsmax.com...

Interesting read.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Race baiting?

I put it simply down to , The prosecutor and the police are colleagues, I don't think they have an unbiased approach with the grand jury when it comes to indicting one party of the equation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join