It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trinities in old pagan religions (Air, Water, Death)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There is the leader and then highly important gods of water, air, and death (usually considered a Trinity).

Anu (Creator) - Enlil (air/storms), Enki (Water/Sea), and Ereshkigal (Death)

The Greek Cronus (Creator) - Zeus (air/storms), Poseidon (Water), Hades (Death)

Saturn (Creator) - Jupiter (Air) - Neptune (Water) - Pluto (Death)

Brahma (Creator) - Indra (air/storms), Varuna (Water), Yama (death)

El (Creator) - Baal (air/storms), Yam/Yaw (Water), Mot (Death)

What do you think about this? Why these 4 main elements (creation, air, water, death)?

Another interesting thing is that the god associated with "Heaven" is usually left out:

Anshar who creator Anu,
Uranus who created Cronus/Saturn
Caelus who created Saturn

Just wanted to share something I found

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
They are elements of a process.

That process is the mystery.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

1 john 5
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Ironic?

I think not...

edit on 1-12-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm an Earth-Fire-Life kinda person myself.
Might be a chick thing.
Dunno.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I noticed.. that religion/mythology.
Tend to barrow from one another..
Then pick and choose what to add and twist in their own writings..

But all seem to share these common core's..

General Eyes...
I'm a Beach, Camp Fire, and Carona kinda guy....

But I am a water sign. And play and dream of water all the time.. well at least dream of water daily..

GE... you chose earth first.. so you must be well grounded..

edit on 1-12-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
All myth has truth within it and all myth draws from the same truth.

Creation: birth

Air: life-spark/Spirit

Water: physical world/body

Death: transition of the cycle starting over again.

Birth, death, rebirth.

All religions draw inspiration from the same source: the world around us and Its mechanisms. Christianity is no more right that paganism, they both (all) tell the same story, only in different ways.

Paganism is like "Dances With Wolves" while Christianity is like "Avatar", same basic story and elements but with different characters and settings.
edit on 12/1/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

How would you imagine the fundamental forces of the universe fitting into this theme?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
and to get rid of such people with power that is what we call being a god i think one could invent a system to turn that person into a planet and colonize upon him and begin to mine all the precious goodies that allows them to do unexplained things. Then do this to everyone but your self and become the supreme leader of the universe. What really are we all doing here???

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wifibrains

Mathematically speaking, if A = C and B = C, then logically A = B.

So i gotta call shenanigans on your graphic assessment.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Hello there arpgme.

The systems of Sumer, Babylon, Greece, Rome, and Canaan all share deep and obvious similarities. Many stories, events, and archetypes from these systems parallel and mirror one another.

For example, the usurpation and/or succession of gods from a Creator God, to a Father God, to a Son God,...

The way creation began with a deep empty abyss of water and/or chaos,... being torn asunder to create Heaven and Earth,...

The conquest of a water beast/god or water serpent,...

The god of the mountain motif,...

The great deluge/flood,...

As far as the connections between the mythologies of the Mediterranean, Fertile Crescent, and Levant,... I am convinced that they represent subjective interpretations and off-shoots of a single co-originated or shared mythology.

I also include the Torah and Old Testament with the above comparisons. For example, when we compare the Hebrew names for deities in the Torah and Old Testament, we find striking and uncanny similarities to the Canaanite, Greco-Roman, and Fertile Crescent mythologies:

Elyon: Creator, Most High
El / Elohim: Father God
YHWH: Son God

If we must attach "Death" to this pantheon, the Bible actually mentions, by name, both Hades and Tartarus,... or Sheol and Abaddon in the Old Testament.

And if we really dig deep into Hebrew linguistics and an in-depth comparative religious focus, we even find traces of Asherah, Tiamat, Abzu, Baal, Yam, and Mot in the Torah and Old Testament.

I am fairly new into my comparative studies into the Indian and Hindu systems, so I can't make a proper opinion in that regards at the moment.

edit on 12/1/14 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Adam had 3 sons. Cain able Seth
Noah had 3 sons. Ham Japheth Shem
Jesus had 3 "sons". Peter James John (his inner sanctum)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

everything you said is so obvious lol i felt like i was reading a grade one assignment.
I think many people notice this but they stick with their religion because they think theirs is right.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: zardust

Now im starting to wonder what the whole 3 stooges is all about.

Maybe it ha something to do with Orion's belt and Syrius?

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

There is the leader and then highly important gods of water, air, and death (usually considered a Trinity).

Could this be an allusion to conception, gestation, birth, life, and death?

Creation coming from above or outside, as two physical beings mating to bring life to a lower dark abyss; the womb filled with water.

Life emerging from water and the subjugation of the water deity symbolizing physical birth,... conquering the water serpent symbolizing the severing of the umbilical chord.

Leaving the water and filling the lungs with breath for the first time, being synonymous with the air deity.

Having only one guarantee in life; death.

edit on 12/1/14 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The creator God is not a "trinity" that is religious myth nothing more.The creator God is ONE.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Strangely the "4 elements" of Classical cosmology is not actually all that common in the Indo-European cultures (where you would assume it would be every where). The Gaels had a nine fold system for example called The Elements of the Duile. But the classical elements thing seem to have stuck in the brains of every one as the "pagan model".

Trinities of deities are quite common (though not the three fold "mother maiden crone" thing many people assume either). Pairs are common to the Indo-European cultures as well, divine "twins" are all over the place.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: Wifibrains

Mathematically speaking, if A = C and B = C, then logically A = B.

So i gotta call shenanigans on your graphic assessment.

That is because with your logic you are putting two and two together and coming up with four, where as I came up with one.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Noinden

Strangely the "4 elements" of Classical cosmology is not actually all that common in the Indo-European cultures (where you would assume it would be every where). The Gaels had a nine fold system for example called The Elements of the Duile. But the classical elements thing seem to have stuck in the brains of every one as the "pagan model".

Trinities of deities are quite common (though not the three fold "mother maiden crone" thing many people assume either). Pairs are common to the Indo-European cultures as well, divine "twins" are all over the place.

You're right. Most people know very little about Indo-European cultures and belief systems. That's why people get away with making claims that aren't facts. It's questionable whether even the people making the claims know they're not accurate. They're usually simply repeating the misinformation they've been given and have never bothered to do any research to verify whether it's accurate.

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
So many interesting responses. I'll try to reply to everyone in this response.

Akragon

It's interesting that 1 John 5 says The Spirit, Water, and Blood, bear witness and that these three agree in one.

The word for Spirit in Greek (pneuma) and Hebrew (Ruach) also means wind.

Spirit (Wind), Water (Water), The Blood (which represents physical Death).

GENERAL EYES

"Earth-Fire-Life"

The Creator probably represents "Earth" since The Creator makes things manifest (Creation/Earth).
Death probably represents fire, since it burns, destroys, and transforms.

So, The 4 classical elements are there:

Creator (Creation/Earth), Air, Water, Death (Destruction/Transformation/Fire)

In some languages the word for "Spirit" and "Air" are connected, but and in some religious traditions "Water" represents love, mercy and forgiveness (being "washed" of evil and purified).

Creator (Creation/Earth), Air (Spirit/Consciousness), Water (Love/Forgiveness), Death (Transformation/Fire)

TzarChasm

"if A = C and B = C, then logically A = B. "

If a Rose = Flower and a Violet = Flower, then Rose = Violet? No.

Sahabi

There is always darkness and water in the beginning, even the Bible says this. What's interesting, is that usually there is a dragon or serpent in the water (Tiamat/Apep/Yam/The Serpent which holds sleeping Vishnu in the cosmic ocean)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join