It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Religion Haters

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

But I am pointing out a lot of negatives it HAS and WILL cause. Atheists love throwing science in religions face and saying religion causes all this turmoil when the same could be said for science. It goes both ways friend.

Science, (as in our accumulated knowledge of the universe) has not created any turmoil, people and there primitive religious & ideological beliefs are the only cause of any turmoil.

The only nations that have even attempted to completely wipe out a another civilization since the nuclear bomb was invented, are the ones that lack modern day technology. That's why countries like the US, Russia and China have never gone to war with each other since nuclear weapons were created. World powers are now to powerful to run around slaughtering each other.

"The day when two army corps can annihilate each other in one second, all civilized nations, it is to be hoped, will recoil from war and discharge their troops."
--Alfred Nobel

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
It deserves to be mocked like any religion
If it was kept in the church and home and not in the classroom.
It keeps you away from god and dumbs down the populace.
It has held us back and I will always fight it.

edit on 1-12-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I don't think anyone's beliefs deserve respect without being challenged, objected to or ridiculed. Why make a special case when it comes to religion? Sure, have your beliefs but don't expect them to be respected.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage
Why does my religion matter to you? Why hate so much on religion? If you don't believe in something I do then why do you try to get me to think like you? You probably say well religious people try to convert people, but isn't that what you are trying to do as well? It is pretty hypocritical. So what if I believe in the Bible and happy with my faith. So what if so and so believes in the Quran. Stop hating so much on religious people. It does not make us less intelligent or anything less than you. So try and learn some acceptance. And if you say religious people should learn acceptance too. Well we should, but lead by example.

Converting people for your religion is actually you recruiting new pawns for your master (the leader of whatever religion you are part of).

Non-religious people aren't trying to convert you, they are trying to make you ask questions and do some thinking, rather than just listening to what some guy tells you and believing it as fact.

So what if you believe in the bible? Well, it is a book you see, you can buy them in stores, so it does exist. However, the text of that book were written by humans, translated, retranslated, edited, things added or taken away - all to further the agenda of your master (whoever the leader of your religion is).

BTW, you don't have to be part of a religion to believe in a god or gods. In fact, I bet if a god or the gods came to earth again, they would look at all the religious people and shake their heads in dismay and utter disgust.
edit on 1-12-2014 by DumpMaster because: spelling error

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Bias against left handed people

Bias against left-handed people is discrimination, conscious or not, against people who are left-hand dominant. Approximately 10% of the world's population is left-handed.[1] Yet many common tools are designed solely for use by right-handed people, making them difficult, painful, or unsafe for left-handed people to use. These range from simple objects such as scissors to dangerous machinery such as power saws.[2] Beyond such neglect, however, left-handed people have frequently been subjected to deliberate discrimination and disparagement. In many societies, they are considered unlucky or even malicious by the right-handed majority. Many languages use references to left-handedness to convey awkwardness, dishonesty, stupidity, or other undesirable qualities. Even in relatively "modern" societies, left-handed people historically have been—and in some places still are—forced from childhood to use their right hands for tasks which they would naturally perform with the left, such as eating and writing.[3]

Just a basic summary. Lets see where Christanity falls into this crowd.

In Hebrew, as well as in other ancient Semitic and Mesopotamian languages, the term "left" was a symbol of power or custody.[11] The left hand symbolized the power to shame society, and was used as a metaphor for misfortune, natural evil, or punishment from the gods. This metaphor survived ancient culture and was integrated into mainstream Christianity by early Catholic theologians, such as Ambrose of Milan,[12] to modern Protestant theologians, such as Karl Barth,[13] to attribute natural evil to God in explaining God's omnipotence over the universe.

The unfavorable associations and connotations of the use of the left hand among cultures are varied. In some areas, in order to preserve cleanliness where sanitation was an issue, the right hand, as the dominant hand of most individuals, was used for eating, handling food, and social interactions. The left hand would then be used for personal hygiene, specifically after urination and defecation. These rules were imposed on all, no matter their dominant hand. Through these practices, the left hand became known as the "unclean" hand.[19] Currently, amongst Muslims and in some societies including Nepal and India it is still customary to use the left hand for cleaning oneself with water after defecating. The right hand is commonly known in contradistinction from the left, as the hand used for eating.[20] In many religions, including Christianity, the right hand of God is the favored hand. For example, Jesus sits at God's right side. God's left hand, however, is the hand of judgement. The Archangel Gabriel is sometimes called "God's left hand", sits at God's left side, and is one of six angels of death. Those who fall from favor with God are sent to left, as described in Matthew 25: 32–33, in which sheep represent the righteous and goats represent the fallen: "And he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats. And he shall set the sheep on his right, but the goats on his left." In 19th-century Europe, homosexuals were referred to as "left-handed", whilst in Protestant nations, Roman Catholics were called "left-footers".[21] Black magic is sometimes referred to as the "left-hand path", which is strongly associated with Satanism.[citation needed] Various innocuous activities and experiences become rude or even signs of bad luck when the left hand becomes involved. In some parts of Scotland, it is considered bad luck to meet a left-handed person at the start of a journey.[22] In Ghana, pointing, gesturing, giving or receiving items with the left hand is considered taboo or rude. A person giving directions will put their left hand behind them and even physically strain to point with their right hand if necessary.[23] In some Asian countries, holding eating utensils in the left hand is considered impolite.

There's a wealth of information on this. And i don't think anyone who willing swallows these doctrains can even counter my point. Because Christianity is offensive to my people who have been persicuted and continue to because of superstitions.

It's already hard enough having to navigate the world and being forced to use electric tools that might be hazardous to my Health. The western world as of now in most places is rather tame. But else where in the world it's still a problem.

And non of that *Right hand of God* crap is cutting it for me. They knew what they were doing when they wrote that crap repeadily in the book.
It's a huge turn off, I already feel like a second class citizen. I don't need people telling me i need to find Jesus when i can't even relate to the crowd that follows him.

Yall are sheep and im a goat. Goats don't go to Heaven. And don't quote that one story in the bible because that's exactly what it is. One story about a left handed man that is used as an assassin. It's like left handed people are only good for 2 things. For killing in the name of God or staying out of everyones way.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The day religion stops trying to pass religious legislation will be the day I will stop fighting and "learn some acceptance".
The day religion stops trying to force itself on my children behind my back will be the day I will stop fighting and "learn some acceptance".
The day religion stops preventing consenting adults from getting married will be the day I will stop fighting and "learn some acceptance".
The day religion stops trying to affect me will be the day I will stop fighting and "learn some acceptance".

I have no problem with people practicing their own beliefs, and that applies to any and all religions, but i refuse to just accept religions that are actively attempting to control others for their own purposes. Religion does not get to claim forcing itself on people or preventing other's happiness as a religious right and they surely do not get to have any control over legislation or any government whatsoever. The day religion learns its place and ceases to insert itself where it doesn't belong will be the day I "learn some acceptance".

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: WanderingSage
Perhaps it's because people generalize. I'm guilty of it everyone has done it at some point in their life. The thing you should take away from this is that some people are trying to find something to fight against, to feel like they are correct or justified in some way but in the end none of it will matter and they will be in the same place they were yesterday, in order to win the game never begin to play it or just stop. Don't fight and they slowly loose interest.

And wearing even a simple smile on you're face can work wonders. So lighten up it's the internet, rarely should you take anything to heart on the internet.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

sorry i wasn't directing that at you....and as you say it does go both ways...but let me ask you something....as a man of science I absolutely believe there is a possibility of a god or some kind of supreme being or supreme race. It is exciting to think about but I also believe there is a possibility that there is no god. Can you say the same? Can you tell me that there is a possibility that there is no god...even if its just very minute to you?

If you can't say there is a possibility of no god then you are following blindly. You may believe there is a god but you have no way of no knowing 100% unless god him/her/itself came down and talked to you...at which point id probably call BS.

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: Hecate666

Why can't believers stop preaching? I couldn't care less about religious people if they would stop meddling, preaching and hating on non-believers. If you constantly insult atheists, homosexuals or others that don't fit in with your beliefs, expect a defense. If you just go to church and stick with each other and leave us 'others' in peace you'd be amazed how little we care about religious types.

Same back at you. Amazing isn't it:

Why can't non believers stop preaching what we should believe is right and wrong. I couldn't care less about non-religious people if they would stop meddling, preaching and hating on beliefs and morality.If you constantly insult Christians, Jews or others that don't fit in with your immoral beliefs, expect a defense. If you just go to your social hangouts and stick with each other and leave us 'believers' in peace you'd be amazed how little we care about you non-religious types.

Lol, are we playing poing-pong? I actually wanted to do exactly what you just did in response to the OP, to show the hypocricy.
But then I thought, I'd rather explain myself instead of playing silly games.

By doing what you have just done, you only repeated the OP [using my words, which at least give an explanation].
You should look who started the preaching to others in the first place, rather than passing the ball back.

By simple logic it can't be atheists because we have nothing TO preach. We just exist and go our merry ways, until we get bothered.
Either by invasion of personal space [on the tube, reading the bible and calling me a sinner] or by insult [ask any homosexuals ever] or by spouting rubbish as truth [see any thread on the religion forum].
Then someone has to step in and stop this madness, because if we don't, we'd end up back in the middle ages with no rights and complete coo-coo ideas about life, science and technology [creation, ignorance, e-meter, respectively].

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: whyamIhere

If there is a God then I doubt he cares if we believe he exists or not. If he truly is a loving God then he has forgiven us already and there is no belief needed.

Your quote is a prime example of assuming something bad will happen in the end if a certain belief isn't maintained. Why assume non-belief in a God means punishment?

It does not from my point of view fit the fruits of the holy spirit, that it would be thinking of right and wrong on human level. Works proves what you are. You can never go wrong with following an ideal of treating everyone as your soul brother/soul sister.

Namaste

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
"Religion will fly you into buildings, science will fly you to the moon."

And spirituality will give you tools to achieve other states of consciousness.

Namaste

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

originally posted by: muse7
"Religion will fly you into buildings, science will fly you to the moon."

And spirituality will give you tools to achieve other states of consciousness.

Namaste

Crack coc aine will do that too.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Just ran across this thread today and video of a pastor calling for the murder of every homosexual.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now I am not homosexual I am human I have empathy and obviously better morals than some heavily religious types some may disagree but that is my position.

That really isn't worth debating but the question has been asked why do atheists come into religious threads well here is a great example of why we do. It is because you guys have people like that trying to influence the world with their ideas. You are going to get pushback as long as you do.

I am not like that guy I am not calling for you to cull those idiots but you should talk some sense into them and voice your distaste with them. So few do that it gives the impression that many of you agree with them.
edit on 3-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join