It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Religion Haters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Integrity?

What integrity are you defending other than throwing out accusations and assumptions of what other people are writing. I do not see you defending anything.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage
a reply to: Grimpachi

Yeah you named a few good things, but why don't you name all the bad?

You are right I only named a few such as the life you have now. As I look around I can confidently say science has brought us both good and bad but the good outweighs the bad thousands of times over.

I noticed you attributed science to the war in Iraq/Afghanistan yet you conveniently left out that the US was attacked first by religious zealots. So while you blame science I can blame religion in fact GB went on record saying God chose him and wanted him to lead us to fight in Iraq.

George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq'

Religion and politics are a deadly combination.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I'm not assuming anything. This is what you said, I emphasized the part that I find personally offensive and felt personally attacked, below.

Why can't non believers stop preaching what we should believe is right and wrong. I couldn't care less about non-religious people if they would stop meddling, preaching and hating on beliefs and MORALITY.If you constantly insult Christians, Jews or others that don't fit in with your immoral beliefs, expect a defense. If you just go to your social hangouts and stick with each other and leave us 'believers' in peace you'd be amazed how little we care about you non-religious types.

First you accuse non-believers of hating beliefs, as if they don't have any, because they don't jibe with your beliefs, and then, you accuse them of not only hating morality but also, simply because of their non-belief, that they are in fact, intrinsically immoral people.

I hope that helps you to understand the integrity that I'm defending.

edit on 30-11-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

You mean Catholicism. There is a huge difference. You can add every death from the Crusades (caused by Catholics) and it wouldn't equal to how many people we killed in one day in Japan with a nuclear bomb.
Let's do a recap of wars in about 200 years and say which one was caused by religion.
War on Terror? No
Gulf War? No
Korean War? No
Cold War? No
Vietnam? No
WW2? No
WW1? No
Civil War? No
War of 1812? No
Spanish American? No
Revolutionary? No
French and Indian? No

Answer this what were all those wars fought over?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

You as well as I do know they were used as a scapegoat.
But I have to go for a couple of hours I have Battalion PT so I can be fit to "kill for Jesus"

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: WanderingSage

Science created the weapons?

So if there was no such thing as atheists guns wouldn't exist?

balls.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

If that is what you choose to believe then so be it but I do not share your beliefs.

On top of that I have heard Allah Akbar more than my fair share. Hope you had fun at PT that part of my life has been over for many years.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

What I DO like about religion is that it offers many people a reason to hope and keeps some from committing violent assaults. While I don't personally care what flavor others choose to believe, there are some things I have a problem with.

1. If it interferes with my life in any way. Through laws, moral majority rule and subtle manipulation.
The insipid and constant reminders that those that preach love to dole out is infuriating. Swearing on a bible in court means nothing to me and should not represent honesty. I see people networking between their fellow church-goers which gives them a leg up in many ways politically and otherwise. I see people using accelerated programs through religious "colleges" to advance in careers and continue to band together that way rather than standard university curriculum. I don't want to see "Jesus Saves" billboards. I tolerate, but don't appreciate prayer for something I don't believe in at the dinner table.

2. The proselytizing to children and people of other countries. Every time I post on a religious thread on this site, it's partially because I'm terrified some person who is seeking knowledge will happen upon that thread and become another convert to whatever because there was no opposing, rational view. I despise how people teach these lies to their children and cause them to follow in ignorance and superstition, quite often out of fear. I know young people whose lives have been and are currently being forever inflicted with dogma. It enrages me that there's nothing we can do to stop it as I watch them fall into step, take on the traits of the religious and lose their potential to pursue truth and knowledge. If someone tried to infect my child with religion, I would take that as abusive behavior and be incredibly furious.

3. I hate the control that religion harnesses over the masses, preventing people from growing, or revolting in situations where it would benefit them. I hate to see what it does to millions of people all over the world. Women accepting a lower status, Children going to war for their parent's beliefs. Unending servitude and tolerance over poor conditions that keep people from reacting because it is not their god's will. I see some of these belief systems stretching their tentacles out and creating more repression and subjugation around the world.

4. I hate knowing how much life on this planet would be so much better without it for everyone once they got past the "Imma be a special, happy spirit forevers after I die" fabrication and focused on truth, science and really working together.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

If there is a God then I doubt he cares if we believe he exists or not. If he truly is a loving God then he has forgiven us already and there is no belief needed.

Your quote is a prime example of assuming something bad will happen in the end if a certain belief isn't maintained. Why assume non-belief in a God means punishment?

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Right while science is allowing us to have this discussion on opposite ends of the world through a glowing square on my desk i'll try to explain the scientific method and how it is not followed blindly.

Science proves itself every single day ...over and over again. Religion changes when its convenient...and even then there is a faction who thinks it shouldn't change. Anyone who believes every single scientific research article that comes out doesn't understand the scientific process. There are sometimes unknown variables. This is why science goes from observation, hypothesis, theory, law....do you know evolution is only a theory...and as much as I believe in evolution science is only willing to classify it as a theory. I think that is completely fair...but religious nuts come running in saying crap like omg you follow science blindly!!!!....when if they understood the god damn scientific method you would see it never made it to a law...its only a theory...
edit on 30-11-2014 by rockpaperhammock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If there is a God then I doubt he cares if we believe he exists or not. If he truly is a loving God then he has forgiven us already and there is no belief needed.

Your quote is a prime example of assuming something bad will happen in the end if a certain belief isn't maintained. Why assume non-belief in a God means punishment?

All I was doing it reinforcing the fact that nobody knows for sure.

I would like to point out the God I believe in will not wake you from your death.

Just to torture you eternally...

Religion is like Amway...Some of their products are great.

It's their salesman that are all screwed up.
edit on 30-11-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

All I was doing it reinforcing the fact that nobody knows for sure.

I would like to point out the God I believe in will not wake you from your death.

Just to torture you eternally...

Religion is like Amway...Some of their products are great.

It's their salesman that are all screwed up.

HAHA, you heathens are such comedians

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
most religions are Anti-Lefthandist so i tend not to take it all seriously. I can't.

Christianity is offensive to my very nature. And is prejudice against my kind.

Same as muslims.

There are some cool quotes in there but.... Screw Jesus and his right hand party.
He makes me uncomfortable and the bias in the pages i just simply ignore.
Budism isn't any different. They hate on the left hand just as much.
Oh sure they have a left and right hand path. And of course the left has to be everything that is immortal and negative.

These kinds of people don't want us around or at the helm of control because left handed people have changed the world in such dramatic ways there is still so much superstition against us in the world.
And religion fuels that fire.

You know if it wasn't for all this i might have a different oppinion about Jesus. But to me, a leftie. Jesus is a goof. And so are many of jews and so many anti-leftists organizations that congrigate in their right world.

edit on 30-11-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Is that what I said? No it isn't. I'm not saying only Atheists are science, but they do however preach it constantly. So I was just giving them what they want. Sorry you didn't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Same as you saying without religion wars wouldn't exist.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I know the scientific method. But thank you. I'm also not saying science is bad. But I am pointing out a lot of negatives it HAS and WILL cause. Atheists love throwing science in religions face and saying religion causes all this turmoil when the same could be said for science. It goes both ways friend.

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: WanderingSage
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I know the scientific method. But thank you. I'm also not saying science is bad. But I am pointing out a lot of negatives it HAS and WILL cause. Atheists love throwing science in religions face and saying religion causes all this turmoil when the same could be said for science. It goes both ways friend.

For an atheist, science is their god, their savior, their rock, sword and shield. They won't admit this while they make it obvious for all to see. This is why they throw it in everyones face all the time.
edit on 30-11-2014 by BlackManINC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

A lot of what you have said could be flipped around onto many different things. And to make you feel better I will suffer UCMJ action if I endorse my religion. Funny thing is if you read the law it only states Christianity. So I don't know if other religions are okay.

It does not slow man's growth. A lot of the things today slow man's growth. Social media, television, etc.

If there was no religion at all today there would still be the same problems mentioned above. There'd be arguments on who has the real truth. Ever see the South park episode "Go, God, Go"? Well there is no religion anymore in the future. There are 3 main factions on Earth and they are at war with each other. They've been at war for like a 100 years or whatever. Each arguing who has the greater truth. The truth in the end was who has the better name for their faction.
My point is Mankind will always be mankind. Change the setting, the plot, and the characters, but there will always be hate, war, and control. So to blaming religion just seems like you're looking for something to blame when MAN is who to blame. But on the other side you will always have love, friendship, and charity. Because MAN has potential for both. So my religion helps me with love, friendship, and charity and if you don't like it then oh well. I'm truly 100% whole heartedly happy. Are you?
edit on 30-11-2014 by WanderingSage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Atheists are what gave me my freedom to use which ever hand i please.

As much as they are godless as least they understand that the text filled with such prejudice must be corrupt.
Which it is.

If religious people could have it there way we would all be hanging from a rope, burned at a stake or stoned to death.

edit on 1-12-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
"Religion will fly you into buildings, science will fly you to the moon."

posted on Dec, 1 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

It does in fact slow the growth of humanity when you take it all in. Also, I know quite a few people that have learned a lot from television and social media, not even counting the Discovery channel.

Some things religion has done:

A. Consider all the science that has been kept down in the past (persecution, heresy, wars) and even now over religion(stem cell research, implants, nanobots). Think about how many lives were lived in fear, put in jails or stopped because they didn't believe a certain way. Still happens today, fairly often. How many were forced to keep their studies hidden away lest they be deemed heretics?
B. Schools being taught creationism, and numerous examples of science being downplayed in favor of religious belief. How many children have been and will avoid a path of reason and critical thinking because their lord will provide for them?
C. Just taking my own life into consideration, oh, what I could have achieved if I hadn't been brought up in religious thought and the time I have spent just learning to come to my current way of thinking. I understand that for me to overcome the madness that is religion is due highly to being brought up with it in the first place. However, if my parents had already taught me the silliness of religion and brought me up to focus on science and innovation; if I hadn't had to spend years to discover truth in what is supposed to be a modern society, I could be so much further in my own life. And when thinking about the millions+ over the ages that have lost time in this way and still do, the breach is gigantic.

I've seen the South Park. I love the show. That episode was satiric and indicated society being obsessed with dividing themselves no matter what happens. Yes, there will always be greed, control, hate and war in our species. It's our nature. If we were to cast aside the massive burden of religion that allows us to take those negative aspects and run wild with them, it would be much easier to tackle the other issues such as racism, poverty and abuse of power. If the world had a much larger focus on science and learning rather than who is the favored ones, the potential is limitless.

Am I happy in general? Far from it. The state of society and the world and how it affects everyone including myself prevents that from ever happening for me wholly.
Am I happy I am atheist and all that goes with that? I'm so incredibly ecstatic that I reached this level of wisdom in my life and will never be burdened with dogma and lies again. I'm sad that so many others will spend their lives in blissful ignorance, thinking it was all for their lord and the afterlife that doesn't exist. I'm sad that so many people will never know what it is to be freed from that way of thinking. I'm sad when I think of what religion has done in full scale.

So hey, good for you!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join