It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for American atheists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It offends me deeply. Money and any creator are fairly mutually exclusive. Our (debatable) Christian ethos basically says a rich man has almost no shot at heaven, and how does money do "god's work?" ...except in a round-about by-proxy manner, that is.

Our rapacious love of money and the crap we do to make more of it is as base and "sinful" as it gets... so from a religious standpoint, it is hypocritical.

Being a 'sorta' atheist (I'm not dismissive of a creator, just dismissive of man-made, judgmental, dogmatic ideas about one) it offends me even more.

It reminds me of marketing... (God says use this brand!) which is nearly always offensive to thinking beings!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Nice edit on your reply.

i thought better of some things. at least i bother unlike some people.

The comment i replied to was ignoring the topic of the thread and was focused on the OP. I was simply stating that the topic is worthy of discussion, which you clearly didn't think it was. At no point did critique your first amendment rights, nor was i oversensitive (nice ad hominem btw).

i was speaking royally, to anyone who has ever or will ever ask the question. and i still think you are being oversensitive. or am i not allowed an opinion?

I don't know what war you are referring to or what bad things will happen for discussing a topic, but this is a discussion board so people will discuss topics big and small whether you like it or not.

the question was:

how do atheists feel about God on the dollar bill? Does it offend you, do you like to see it removed or you don't really pay attention to it?

not speaking as an atheist but as an american, i gave my answer on the subject. and since you are more focused on the nature of my answer than the actual content, im gonna pass on continuing this exchange in lieu of actually discussing the subject.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
It offends me deeply. Money and any creator are fairly mutually exclusive. Our (debatable) Christian ethos basically says a rich man has almost no shot at heaven, and how does money do "god's work?" ...except in a round-about by-proxy manner, that is.

Our rapacious love of money and the crap we do to make more of it is as base and "sinful" as it gets... so from a religious standpoint, it is hypocritical.

Being a 'sorta' atheist (I'm not dismissive of a creator, just dismissive of man-made, judgmental, dogmatic ideas about one) it offends me even more.

It reminds me of marketing... (God says use this brand!) which is nearly always offensive to thinking beings!

as i pointed out near the bottom of the previous page, it WAS marketing.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Annunak1

I'm not a Christian but I'm also not an atheist. Personally, it's not something that plagues my thoughts because I understand and accept that we live in a western culture that's permeated with Christianity. I am not forced to say a Christian prayer when I spend it nor do I feel bad possessing it.

To me, it's almost a perfect representation of western Christianity so I think it should stay on our money. What better item do we have to represent centuries of genocide-for-profit? Money! So it makes sense to me.

And to those of you who say "it doesn't say which god", that is correct but it's pretty well known who it's supposed to be. Other wise it would say "In a god we trust" or "In gods we trust", etc.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
what belief system is the craziest?
I would place them as Money, religion, then atheism

Religion: unconfirmed value or existence. as well as serious money exchanging hands.
Atheism: arguing against an unconfirmed value, sometimes with more time spent than religious believers.
Money: giving up your limited life for a piece of paper you have been told is valuable until you are used up physically and mentally and "allowed" to retire.
They are all creepy and bad for the world.imo

I put them all in the same boat, they ALL are forms of control based off of opinions and imagination.

What are the options to money at this point? devolution to a barter system? who knows.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Barter system to me is a good idea. So is a basic income. But TPTB are not ready to give up their well stolen powers. soon one hopes soon...
edit on 18-11-2014 by Annunak1 because: leave me alone

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

I'm not a Christian but I'm also not an atheist. Personally, it's not something that plagues my thoughts because I understand and accept that we live in a western culture that's permeated with Christianity. I am not forced to say a Christian prayer when I spend it nor do I feel bad possessing it.

To me, it's almost a perfect representation of western Christianity so I think it should stay on our money. What better item do we have to represent centuries of genocide-for-profit? Money! So it makes sense to me.

And to those of you who say "it doesn't say which god", that is correct but it's pretty well known who it's supposed to be. Other wise it would say "In a god we trust" or "In gods we trust", etc.

thats a bit like saying "in car we trust". which car? which year? model? color?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annunak1
My question (yea u can see it coming from a mile away) is how do atheists feel about God on the dollar bill? Does it offend you, do you like to see it removed or you don't really pay attention to it?

I am an atheist, and honestly, I don't care. It's as if it said "In Air We Trust," because that's what I feel it is equivalent to.

I do believe that it is inconsistent with the majority of the founders' intent that there would not be an endorsed, mandated state religion at the federal level--some religions or belief systems believe in things other than a god--but personally, I could care less, as it really doesn't affect me personally.

As for your comment about being confronted with the national motto on a daily basis, it's similar to constant mantra of "this-or-that is racist," or "we must defend our allies." It becomes a non-nuisance background noise because it doesn't apply to me. Our federal government doesn't have to have mottoes or national anthems or anything that appeals to every single person--that's impossible.

What does bother me, though, are the militant atheist who pretend like it's a life-altering issue that they must argue against constantly. It only makes atheists look like whining babies. They're words, not sticks and stones.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

If there were a car manufacturer called "Car" with a capital "C" then that would be the same. Christianity is virtually the only religion who actually named their god "God".

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I think you're missing the reason that it's on the money--it's not to tie a god to the idea of money. Here you go:

www.treasury.gov...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

If there were a car manufacturer called "Car" with a capital "C" then that would be the same. Christianity is virtually the only religion who actually named their god "God".

and because americans are lazy they use it for everything even remotely divine. god no longer means what it used to. records ought to reflect the changing ideologies and how they affect the labels used to communicate them. cant keep taking stuff out of the box and putting stuff in and not keep the label on the box updated. used to be grandma's silver and now its a collection of leather pants and gloves. but we dont know that because the label still says silver. what should we change this one to? or are we just gonna fall back to the original definition of god? good luck with that...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Actually, the god of Christianity is not named "God." Its name is YHVH/YHWH (pronounced either as Jehovah or Yahweh).

But as for your assertion, there's this:

Allah is the name of the only God in Islam. Allah is a pre-Islamic name coming from the compound Arabic word Al-ilah which means the God, which is derived from al (the) ilah (deity).

So, "Allah" also means "god" in the generic sense, but has been as its formal name as well.

And don't even get me started on the relatively provable point that Allah and YHWH are the same deity...

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

LOL - I don't believe in a creator God - yeah though I do practise a religion. Funny.

Personally, I don't find it offesive. I'm just happen that people believe in something greater then themselves - doesn't really matter to much what.

Frankly, most people worship money so why shouldn't it have the word god on it?

edit on 18-11-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annunak1
First off this is not a atheist bashing thread.

I was just watching southpark and the episode was about atheists.
In the episode they were talking about God on the dollar bill and that it should be removed.

Now if you are an atheist and living in America you are confronted every day with "In God we trust" on the dollar bill.
My question (yea u can see it coming from a mile away) is how do atheists feel about God on the dollar bill? Does it offend you, do you like to see it removed or you don't really pay attention to it?

I myself am not part of any religion but i do believe in a creator. And personally i would like to see it removed from the dollar bill just because God and money do not go well together imo + i find it irronical even hypocritical that in America they have God on their money while the country is being run by a bunch of satanists but hey that's a topic for a different day.

Oh and sorry for incorrect spelling my spellchecker is off. i dunno why and i don't feel like checking it so hey sue me
(please don't)

P.S. I'm not from US of A

Greetings from an Annunaki

Of course it should be removed but you're wrong about one thing: God and money absolutely go together. The "God business" is a business.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Does not bother me a bit.
Nor does somebody saying bless you or merry Christmas. They are not trying to convert anyone.
Some people just have to grow up a little and not sweat the small stuff.

How about if it said "In Satan we trust" and people said, "Satan bless you"? Or substitute any other deity. The fact that it doesn't bother you suggests that you've been desensitized to it through the process of repetition and familiarity. That doesn't mean that it's not significant.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma

Money and God are inextricably intertwined. Perhaps it should be replaced with "In Oprah we trust". Same principle.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

The people consented to their domination by accepting and becoming reliant on the structure.

And a slave to it. They will kill you to prove they remain independent, but in name only. Nowadays god and money are synonymous. Thats why "God" is printed on money. To remind us. And wake us up.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Everyday the snooze button is pressed once again.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Oh I don't know, if the god in question is Loki or Coyote .... I am sure as hell not trusting them

As a sometimes resident in the USA, who is not an abrahamic type .... I get a little tired of the iconology, but thats my problem

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Religion itself caused those deaths I spoke of. The name of the god on the dollar reminds me every time of religious tendencies to murder for control, or convenience.

It's still causing deaths to this day.

The Abrahamic god is a blood god. He preferred Abels' blood sacrifice to Cains' fruit sacrifice. What more needs to be said? No different from the alleged Mayan, Incan, or any other blood god.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join