It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for American atheists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
First off this is not a atheist bashing thread.

I was just watching southpark and the episode was about atheists.
In the episode they were talking about God on the dollar bill and that it should be removed.

Now if you are an atheist and living in America you are confronted every day with "In God we trust" on the dollar bill.
My question (yea u can see it coming from a mile away) is how do atheists feel about God on the dollar bill? Does it offend you, do you like to see it removed or you don't really pay attention to it?

I myself am not part of any religion but i do believe in a creator. And personally i would like to see it removed from the dollar bill just because God and money do not go well together imo + i find it irronical even hypocritical that in America they have God on their money while the country is being run by a bunch of satanists but hey that's a topic for a different day.

Oh and sorry for incorrect spelling my spellchecker is off. i dunno why and i don't feel like checking it so hey sue me
(please don't)

P.S. I'm not from US of A

Greetings from an Annunaki

edit on 18-11-2014 by Annunak1 because: edit becuz i can

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Annunak1

not speaking as an atheist here, but my thoughts are if you are so bothered by something so small, every day life must be torture for you and i am sorry for that.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annunak1
i find it irronical even hypocritical that in America they have God on their money while the country is being run by a bunch of satanists but hey that's a topic for a different day.

Well, they never said whose god they were trusting. Even though it is really all the same.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It offends me every time I see it.

As a salesperson, I have to smile and nod and accept peoples' blathering about god this and jesus that...and I'll accept a blessing, whatever.

I don't want to see this all over our money, buildings, etc.

a reply to: TzarChasm

Yeah 'small.' A bazillion people murdered over the last few thousand years. Totally small. Nothing! None of that means anything!

edit on 14u0302pmb14America/Chicago by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Hushabye

I understand what you mean in some way. Everyday we are getting signs and symbols thrown at us that we don't even like or want to see. But hey that's what we get for staying in this society. I'm still looking for a way out.....

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Why is it printed on money?

Theres your sign…

For some, money is King, God, All, whatever.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Hahah yeah maybe their intention for God is Satan.
Wouldn't even surprise me if one day they'll admit that. i'm not waiting on that day though...could be a long wait

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Annunak1

I would like to see it removed from the dollar bill, the pledge of allegiance, and any government related building or service. Not because i am offended by it, but because it has no business being there.

In a free country there should be no endorsement of any specific religion, or branch of belief. Without even looking at any specific religions, there are 2 basic types of religion, Monotheism and Polytheism. What is printed on money and is in the pledge of allegiance specifically endorses Monotheism with zero thought to those that are polytheistic, or atheistic. IMO this violates separation of church and state and the supposed freedom of religion in the US.

People, on the other hand, have every right to say or do whatever they want when it comes to religion. I have no problem with walking past a church covered in religious text and icons. I have no problem with my neighbor putting up a nativity scene in their front yard for all to see. That is their personal property and even though i disagree with their beliefs and worldview, its not my place to say what they can and can't have on their own property.

People are free to express their individual beliefs and i support that, but the government has no business implying they endorse a specific religion or branch of religion let alone blatantly supporting specific religions.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yup it all comes down to the haves and the have nots. Money = power = God
sad reality

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Lots of small things build up to become huge things. If you continually let the small things slide, you will eventually have a much bigger fight on your hands.

This is a valid topic for conversation and there is no need for veiled implications that the OP is unable to handle daily life or that you pity him/her.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

I'm with you on that "separation of church and state"

I still can't believe we here in the Netherlands have a 2 political parties who are about christianity. There is NO PLACE for religion in politics IMO.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't think I'd define myself as an atheist...or as religious... but I do have an opinion on this. I don't care if the money says "in God we trust" because I personally view God as an idea of goodness, and that sort of works for me. "In god we trust" is literal for some people, but for me I view "God" as something to strive for (goodness). I also don't really care because on the rare occasion when I actually have cash on hand, it leaves my hand pretty quickly.

This is an interesting question, I'm glad you put it forth.
But as far as the cash thing... it doesn't bother me. There's bigger things out there to be concerned about.

edit on 18-11-2014 by MojaveBurning because: meh

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
lifelong atheist here.

i would like it removed from the dollar bill for one reason only....

so religious people wont have 'in god we trust' on their money.....

other than that, i dont care at all.

i know if there was a move made to take it off money the religious folk in this country would flip out and any time that happens, its a good time for grovit

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Does not bother me a bit.
Nor does somebody saying bless you or merry Christmas. They are not trying to convert anyone.
Some people just have to grow up a little and not sweat the small stuff.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'd also like to see it removed from everything- but I know it isn't going to happen.

Hell, don't we still make people swear on a bible in courts that uphold government laws?

separation of church and state was intended to keep the meddling of religious world power out of the government- but the government has been overrun, penetrated at every single level by every form of wrong that, frankly, we've got bigger fish to fry.

I'd love to see the word "god" stricken from our money- but I'd also like to see our money stricken from itself, as it is no longer a tool of barter simplification so much as an instrument of stealing from us.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xDeadcowx

Lots of small things build up to become huge things. If you continually let the small things slide, you will eventually have a much bigger fight on your hands.

This is a valid topic for conversation and there is no need for veiled implications that the OP is unable to handle daily life or that you pity him/her.

I'm not offended by his or her post since 1 I'm not an atheist 2 I'm not from America, but thank you for sticking up for me

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annunak1

Yup it all comes down to the haves and the have nots. Money = power = God
sad reality

Yah, man printed it there, not God. Paper money is a fiat currency anyway. Who should we believe anything written on it?

ETA: It also reminds us that "notes" are "legal tender".
edit on 18-11-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

First thing im doing when the world economy crashes is wipe my azz with hundreds. + i got some other ideas but can't tell em or i will be breaking T&C...again. rules and me don't go well together for some reason. oh im drifting off again

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hushabye
It offends me every time I see it.

As a salesperson, I have to smile and nod and accept peoples' blathering about god this and jesus that...and I'll accept a blessing, whatever.

I don't want to see this all over our money, buildings, etc.

Yeah 'small.' A bazillion people murdered over the last few thousand years. Totally small. Nothing! None of that means anything!

putting god on a dollar bill is not license to murder. or is that a new amendment?

sometimes we have to learn not to sweat the small stuff. there are much bigger concerns. when the economy is booming and everyone is healthy and the country is safe and all of our soldiers are home and graduation rates are through the roof and employment is in full swing...then we have time to worry about four words on a piece of paper. the money is still good right? even if youre an atheist?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
OP this isn't a question for atheists.

The God on the bills, the "in god we trust" isn't the Christian god. Completely different belief systems.

They just want you to think it's Christianity.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join