It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

33 Things Americans Should Know About Canada. Seriously

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
6. We're a lot bigger than you, in land mass, but our population is considerably less. The populations of Los Angeles and New York City would be around 30 million people. The entire nation of Canada has around 32 million people. Due to the fact that most of our country is in the northern latitudes, we huddle close to the border, for warmth.

7. In the War of 1812, we kicked your butts. The reason why your Whitehouse is white is because we set fire to it and it was whitewashed to hide the damage (for propaganda purposes). Some Americans will say that THEY won the war. However, to win, a party must reach their objective. Your objective was to take over British North America (what Canada was called then), our goal was to stop you. You don't have any more northern territory along the Canada/US border than you did before 1812. So who won? (Alaska doesn't count, you BOUGHT that state from Russia.)

8. A form of baseball was played just outside of Toronto, Ontario three weeks before Alexander Doubleday played the 'first' game of baseball in your country.

9. We do not find the term "Canuck" derogatory, like Americans find "Yank" derogatory. It apparently originated during World War One. Your soldiers were call "doughboys" ours were called "Johnny Canucks". I think the British coined the term, but I'm not sure.

10. We are not "just like Americans", we have our own national identity, we just haven't figured out what it is, yet. Someone once said that, "Canadians are unarmed Americans with health care." That pretty much sums it up, I guess. We are internationally (but unofficially) known as the "World's Most Polite Nation."

11. Our national animal is the beaver. Sure it's just a rodent, but they're not even CLOSE to being extinct. You can still get money for beaver pelts. It is NOT our main unit of exchange, we have money, just like you.

15. November the 11th is called Remembrance Day, up here. It is a day when all Canadians honour our war dead and the veterans who are still amongst us. Its significance is that on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month the Armistice was signed, ending World War One.

21. Many Canadians have never played hockey in their lives. There are many who do not like hockey.

22. Besides, our national sport is not hockey, its lacrosse. It's one of the few sports that originated on the North American continent, it was played by the Aboriginals.

29. Our side of Niagara Falls is nicer looking than your side. In fact, even when Americans use images of the Falls in advertising and movies, they film the Canadian side. It's called Horse Shoe Falls, by the way.

30. We own the North Pole, and therefore Santa Claus is Canadian. The internationally recognized mailing address for jolly old St. Nick is:
Santa Claus
North Pole
Canada
H0H 0H0

33 Things Americans Should Know About Canada. Seriously.

I hope you enjoy the list, I picked the ones I thought were pretty good. The whole list is good though

I hope this helps out some of the neighbours down south who are a bit clueless to one of the countries they are attached to

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I have to disagree with Canada being the most polite, at least from my own personal experience.

When I was aroun 8 years old my dad took me to see the Peace Gardens (on North Dakota and Manitoba border). We travelled up to Brandon, Manitoba to spend the following night. While my dad was in the hotel getting a room a man being pushed in a wheelchair came up to our car window and told my older brother he was going to kill his wife and kids.

After getting the room and parking, that guy in the wheelchair was alone in the parking lot yelling at us to give him a push. We didn't.

Never been back.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

Obviously that guy had mental issues. Not all Canadians have mental issues.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

(Alaska doesn't count, you BOUGHT that state from Russia.)

Buying counts! It's the American Way!

You can still get money for beaver pelts. It is NOT our main unit of exchange, we have money, just like you.

Both countries would probably be better off with beaver pelts.

One more thing:

Justin Bieber

We Win!
edit on 17-11-2014 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You're right, we should familiarize ourselves with our 51st state.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Texas wouldn't go for that.....

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: kalunom
I have to disagree with Canada being the most polite, at least from my own personal experience.

When I was aroun 8 years old my dad took me to see the Peace Gardens (on North Dakota and Manitoba border). We travelled up to Brandon, Manitoba to spend the following night. While my dad was in the hotel getting a room a man being pushed in a wheelchair came up to our car window and told my older brother he was going to kill his wife and kids.

After getting the room and parking, that guy in the wheelchair was alone in the parking lot yelling at us to give him a push. We didn't.

Never been back.

Good Lord... If that one man ruined all of Canada for you forever, what in the world has Obama done for the US?

But seriously... It's one guy. Not all Canadians, eh?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabiduria

Great list. Most of my knowledge aboot Canada comes from The Kids in the Hall and The Trailer Park Boys.

Interestingly enough, most Canadians I talk to confirm my perspective on them. Especially Kids in the Hall where it's still pretty much the same as it was 20 or so years ago. That show made me want to move to Canada so bad when I was a kid. It's still makes me want to move to Canada when I watch old reruns.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Never been back.

That's Walter. Just ignore him.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
i disagree with the buttkicking of 1812 remark. only the northern half got their butts kicked, the south held its own as always.

and furthemore they took lake erie and part of ontario a year later.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

we huddle close to the border, for warmth.

Shenanigans. You huddle close to us because you are our hat. Stop lying you moose riding syrup swillers.

Having a little trouble believing only 600 homicides a year...

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Justin Bieber

lol

we win

sorry for ur umm Justin Bieber

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: kalunom

That's pretty funny eh hahahahha

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

All the info you need about canada is here.
edit on 17-11-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: markovian

sorry for ur umm Justin Bieber

That's OK. We apologize for Boy George.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Yeah sorry about justin beiber, Hes a burden to all 32 million of us. And im sorry for being sorry.

Sorry everyone. I mean sorry for saying sorry but im sorry.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabiduria

I hope this helps out some of the neighbours down south who are a bit clueless to one of the countries they are attached to

Hmmmm, you do realize that Canada may be a nation, but it IS NOT a country, it's actually a colony. The head of state is not the prime minister, it's actually the reigning monarch of england's proxy, the groveler general.

Cheers - Dave

BTW, I am also in Canada, you might want to do a little more research ;-)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Never been back.

Oh yeah, that guy.

We kicked him out a long time ago because apparently he was representing all of Canada.

Because that behavior never happens in the US.

Peace

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

That was ditched in 1986, The queen handed power over to parliment.

Canada very much is a country and is a member of the UN.

If it wasn't then our borders would be disputed, Which they are not.

edit on 17-11-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Sorry but the Kardashiens, the Hiltons & the Trumps far out way anything Bieber does. Not good enough, how about Honey Boo Boo & her family.
edit on 11 17 2014 by Sabiduria because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join