It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are F117's still flying? Well the Air Force has all the answers for you....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
How's the road out there? Thinking about making a trip that way next summer.

Washboard, rough. I drove to this spot and parked my truck (37°55'22.33"N, 116°35'41.29"W), drove in rest of the way on my 4WD quad/4-wheeler.

Although, I could have drove my truck right to the base of Brainwash Butte. However, there are some abandoned mines to the east of the butte that I wanted to check out, road got progressively worse. The climb up the butte is serious 4WD territory, if you are gonna try and attempt it. This is the last half, to the top of the butte.

Here's another picture taken that day, probably the best of the bunch.

I am hoping to make the trip again, May/June 2015.
edit on 11-11-2014 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Personally, I'm just glad they are still flying.

IMHO they are the most beautiful jet to ever to take to the skies - admittedly they have their issues but in terms of striking visuals they are something else. I just wish I could see one in the air.

Then again, I think I have a thing for older jets. The F14 and the F15 will always have a special place in my heart, along with the Harrier. Perhaps I'm just a product of my generation though, as I also think the Lamborghini Countach is one of the greatest looking cars ever.

Hmmm... well defined angles fetish? Who knows...just glad they're still up there.
edit on 11-11-2014 by cado angelus because: #punctuationfail

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FosterVS

2014!? Nice,

That one appears to be black as well so maybe not all that still fly have the silver or grey paint scheme. I`d love to camp out that ways for a few nights and see what is worth seeing. Thanks for the post.

ETA a thought: Did you happen to know or suspect they would be flying on that day or were you just in the right place at the right time? If they are flown frequently in secret is it just for testing purposes or could they be performing clandestine strike/recon missions?
edit on 14-11-2014 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

There have been at least three seen flying. The "Grey Ghost" is the most common one seen, but there are at least two other black ones flying that have been seen.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i believe they are operational not under air force command but under United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
or NSA/CIA.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

Any reason to think that?

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear

2014!? Nice,

That one appears to be black as well so maybe not all that still fly have the silver or grey paint scheme. I`d love to camp out that ways for a few nights and see what is worth seeing. Thanks for the post.

ETA a thought: Did you happen to know or suspect they would be flying on that day or were you just in the right place at the right time? If they are flown frequently in secret is it just for testing purposes or could they be performing clandestine strike/recon missions?

I had no clue anything would be flying the 1/2 day I spent there. So either:
1) I was extremely lucky that day, or
2) it/they fly a lot more than has been suspected

"performing clandestine strike/recon missions?"
To where, from the TTR? Not exactly the best place to fly from on any mission located outside the US, in my opinion. I assume it would have to refuel a number of times, and why haven't they been observed anywhere else? Also, I am betting we have things currently flying that are stealthier than the F-117.

edit on 17-11-2014 by FosterVS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Maybe they're using them to test against other newer, more stealthy craft? Perhaps new radars are being developed and EW suites on newer planes, and they needed to be tested against a known stealth platform?

That's what I,m thinking..Strip out the avionics and remove the paint to test out new tech and advanced materials..Cheaper than building whole new airframes..

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

But if you strip out the avionics, they don't fly anymore.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hahaha true..Brainfart moment..Meant replace Avionics...DOH!!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Well is there are sort of on hold and kept to be returned to active service would it not make sense to have a few kept aside to set new upgrades on so if they do need to return them to active service they will be up to date?

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

It's possible. It may be prohibitively expensive and hard to get funding to upgrade hardware that may never be used again though.
I still think they would be the perfect benchmark to use to test foreign and domestic radar capabilities against and to tast new materials on the airframe against said radars.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The whole reason that they were retired was because upgrades were getting so expensive. It doesn't make sense for them to retire them to save money on upgrades, then upgrade them, even on a small scale.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Now they've been caught flying from TTR three times in 2014 over the space of 7 months I think we can throw out the theory that they're just shaking off the dust and making sure they jets can still fly for "type 1000" storage. intercepts.defensenews.com...

On the other hand it can't be **that** secretive or they wouldn't be flying them in plain view in daylight at TTR and not at Groom.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: gfad

Testing wouldn't have to be secretive, except for what they're testing. It sounds a lot better to say it's for Type 1000 storage, than to have to come up with a cover story for what they're testing that sounds good.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It is unusual that they would choose to draw attention to the testing though, right?

I mean assume the F-117 has been flying at least occasionally between April and October, even though it was supposedly retired 6 years ago. Of course its possible it's not flying that frequently and we've just been lucky, but that seems unlikely to me. The AF must know that someone will spot it in that time, and that will draw eyes towards **whatever** they're doing at TTR. That just seems unnecessary!

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Attention had already been drawn toward what they were doing before the official explanation. Photos had been taken and journalists started asking questions about them. I think the AF was just being pro-active about the whole situation.
They will be deep into development into the 6th gen fighters soon, if not already, so if the cover story is plausible enough and is bought by the majority, they have the green light to increase the number of test fights they can make during the daylight in preparation for the 6th gen aircraft. All under the guise of Type 1000 storage.
edit on 18-11-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: FosterVS

originally posted by: StratosFear

2014!? Nice,

I had no clue anything would be flying the 1/2 day I spent there. So either:
1) I was extremely lucky that day, or
2) it/they fly a lot more than has been suspected

"performing clandestine strike/recon missions?"
To where, from the TTR? Not exactly the best place to fly from on any mission located outside the US, in my opinion. I assume it would have to refuel a number of times, and why haven't they been observed anywhere else? Also, I am betting we have things currently flying that are stealthier than the F-117.

I could not do anything more than speculate, I am happy to know they are still flying. Anything is possible and if the F-117 were still flown at night like intended who would be able to tell the difference between them and a F-18 at night besides light configuration? Maybe in a few years some things will be declassified for us to know, and a airshow appearance every once in a awhile surely wouldn't kill them. I was really disappointed nothing made an appearance at Nellis, but at least I know who I can listen to now.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

That's why the Type 1000 Storage release. The biggest part of people that have heard it's flying are now going to go "Oh, ok. That's all it is." And go back to ignoring them again.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: StratosFear

There have been at least three seen flying. The "Grey Ghost" is the most common one seen, but there are at least two other black ones flying that have been seen.

all about being in the right place at the right time
. Hey i wonder if I was to go to faux news and offer them information on every single type of classified aircraft ive ever seen if they would pay me a buttload of money and release my name to the public like they did that SEAL? lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join