It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epic Stupid: Ted Cruz - "Net Neutrality is Obamacare for the Internet"

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

So how is government involvement in the Internet free speech? I don't buy it. Sorry. Especially seeing who is for it.

Well right now you can access ATS at the same speed that you can access foxnews and cnn. We cover a lot topics where our views of the community oppose the views of Foxnews and CNN.

Without net neutrality the gov't and the ISP can restrict access to ATS so you will end up only going to foxnews and cnn.

Until the internet came along the MSM,corporations and the gov't had full control of what you heard, saw, and thought and more importantly they controlled your voice.

You called into a live show they were still able to control who got to be heard on the air . All printed material was information from them to us.

With the internet you got the same voice as foxnews correspondents and your voice was not able to be filtered by the gov't , corporations , or the MSM.

With undoing net neutrality they will be able to filter or restrict your voice.

Ask yourself why undo something that has made the internet flourish world wide?

The internet became one of the worlds most important medium ever with tremendous technological advancements for everyone all the while net neutrality existed .

So the question is WHY DO YOU WANT THE GOV't TO GET INVOLVED NOW and change something that has been working so great for everyone? Even Comcast has survived handsomely with it , so why change it?
edit on 391130America/ChicagoMon, 10 Nov 2014 20:39:11 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I spent half the day trying to tell people that with the GOP in charge of Congress, this would be a bad idea, but I was ignored or told not to be so dramatic. Government is good at oversight.
Regulation is a good thing.
I thought I was in a twilight zone episode. I was warning about the GOP and everyone else was telling me to relax!

To be fair, Obama has always said he was for Net Neutrality but never did anything about it. Quite the opposite in fact.

So I can't help but feel the timing is just to sour Boehner's tanning lotion, throw a few Slug pellets at McConnel and get the reaction that my Cuban senator has given.

edit on 10-11-2014 by BritofTexas because: Spelling and Beer do not mix

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

But if there is a substantial increase in price than the customer base will become unhappy and welcome another provider.

The customers at this point only comlpain about price. Now imagine providers increase prices even more and decrease speeds. You dont think Google will put more capital into Google fiber in an attempt to sway those customers with an untiered subcription plan?
edit on 10-11-2014 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

How...how can i try to wrap my head around the stupid of this guy? Not you, bossman Skeptic, but of Ted Cruz.

I will admit i have seen and read ridiculously stupid crap, but this one definitly takes the whole cake, as well as the decorative serving platter and knife. Should Senator Cruz even have a knife in the first place?

Honestly, i am scared people this stupid in high positions exist, even more so if he does become president. Isn't there anyplace safe from these people?

If Cruz does take office, i'm booking it to NK or Iran...rather take the lesser of 2 evils you know?

In short, Cruz not only shot himself in the foot, but he blew his dang leg off

Star and flag

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BritofTexas

I spent half the day trying to tell people that with the GOP in charge of Congress, this would be a bad idea, but I was ignored or told not to be so dramatic. Government is good at oversight.
I thought I was in a twilight zone episode. I was warning about the GOP and everyone else was telling me to relax!

To be fair, Obama has always said he was for Net Neutrality but never did anything about it. Quite the opposite in fact.

So I can't help but feel the timing is just to sour Boehner's tanning lotion, through a few Slug pellets at McConnel and get the reaction that my Cuban senator has given.

I don't understand the move, though. Obama would be handing control of the internet to the GOP!

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

I think someone proposed that can't remember who..hmm Oh yeah This guy! !
Obama backs net neutrality, says the internet
should be classed as a utility

thenextweb.com...
Now Obama is weak-kneed and so will bend easily if criticized by his opponents and go the other direction especially if he felt there is lackluster support even from his own side he typically would not face them down or take his case to the public.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

So I can't help but feel the timing is just to sour Boehner's tanning lotion, through a few Slug pellets at McConnel and get the reaction that my Cuban senator has given.

I don't understand the move, though. Obama would be handing control of the internet to the GOP!

The GOP control the House and the Senate (at least from January).

Are you suggesting they are going to cut off The Young Turks and Democracy Now from You Tube after Christmas??????

BAH HUMBUG!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: neo96

But you will start slowing down if we lose net neutrality.
That's the point.

Really? Do you have any idea how long it used to take to download a typical program or file?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
To those that are comfortable with the repeal of Net Neutrality because it means less government regulation I want to tell you a true story. This happened in the US in 2003, it's about a tiny little room in the SBC Communications office in San Francisco (that's an ISP if you weren't awre). The room was named 641A, it was a room that you needed special access to enter and the employees of SBC couldn't get into. Every day a couple government agents would walk in, talk to no one else in the office, and do who knows what inside of this room. There were about 15 of these rooms throughout the US in various ISP offices. What they would do is monitor all network communications in the United States with no regard for any constitutional protections.

These rooms were top secret as was their mission. Eventually a man named Mark Klein tried to reveal information on these rooms to the public through the MSM. The media at the governments request refused to air any stories about these rooms. Eventually information came out through smaller websites. If we didn't have Net Neutrality at the time we never would have learned of these rooms because there wouldn't have been small independent websites to spread the word. In this case, the existence of Net Neutrality meant censorship couldn't take hold.

originally posted by: Openeye
a reply to: Kali74

But if there is a substantial increase in price than the customer base will become unhappy and welcome another provider.

The customers at this point only comlpain about price. Now imagine providers increase prices even more and decrease speeds. You dont think Google will put more capital into Google fiber in an attempt to sway those customers with an untiered subcription plan?

Google can only put forth so much money. I don't think you understand how expensive these networks are to build. Our current telecoms didn't even build the one we're using now. You and I built it with our tax dollars and then GAVE it to those companies to charge us access for... after those telecoms were given billions to build a network, then pocketed the money and refused to build one.

If there's a substantial increase in price it doesn't suddenly open the door to competition because you need many billions of dollars in order to even begin to try and compete. The ISP's can continue to charge whatever they want. They have us over a barrel. That's not what Net Neutrality is about though, instead it's about content providers. Repealing it is the idea that you pay to be on the network, but then you also pay a connection fee any time someone uses their connection to connect to you. It drastically increases costs on the content providers.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Are you suggesting they are going to cut off The Young Turks and Democracy Now from You Tube after Christmas??????

BAH HUMBUG!!!

If it were only that. . . . . .

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheToastmanCometh
If Cruz does take office, i'm booking it to NK or Iran...rather take the lesser of 2 evils you know?

Cruz could never win the presidency. The debt ceiling crisis that nearly crashed the dollar (and every other currency in the world along with it) makes him unelectable on a mass scale. He's basically another Michelle Bachmann, these people can only appeal to extremists and have a pretty short shelf life. I would be shocked if he even gets reelection.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Cruz could never win the presidency. The debt ceiling crisis that nearly crashed the dollar (and every other currency in the world along with it) makes him unelectable on a mass scale. He's basically another Michelle Bachmann, these people can only appeal to extremists and have a pretty short shelf life. I would be shocked if he even gets reelection.

Cruz was born in Canada.

link   

BAH HUMBUG!!!

If they believe those sites are a hindrance they just might try you are forgetting these folks had no qualms shutting down the government if Obama did not go along with their pet project of shelving ACA ...they crazy like dat!

link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: neo96

But you will start slowing down if we lose net neutrality.
That's the point.

Really? Do you have any idea how long it used to take to download a typical program or file?

Do you have any idea how long it takes to download a program or file in nations that have a responsible internet policy? Here in the US we are near the bottom in terms of internet speed and that's on our wired networks where things aren't as bad. Have you ever compared our wireless networks such as cell phones to nations like Japan or just about anywhere in Europe? The difference is staggering.
edit on 10-11-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Cruz was born in Canada.

Doesn't matter. Natural-born citizen has never been defined. His birthplace doesn't prevent him from running (and I bet he'll try). Excluding that issue though, he's still unelectable.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
remember

Obama golfs with Comcast CEO

President Barack Obama returned to the Vineyard Golf Club on Martha's Vineyard today for another golf outing — this time with Brian Roberts, chief executive of Comcast, parent company of NBC Universal.
Also present at today's golf outing were Jim Kim, president of the World Bank, and Ron Kirk, the former U.S. trade representative.

www.politico.com...

Comcast's executive vice president David Cohen also raised over $1.4 million for Obama’s reelection and hosted a fundraiser at his home, reports the Washington Free Beacon.

Obama to appoint cable industry lobbyist Tom Wheeler as FCC head
Wheeler, an Obama fundraiser, to be nominated as Federal Communications Commission chief, replacing Julius Genachowski
www.theguardian.com...

Wheeler is former head of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association and the National Cable Television Association. Since 2005, he has been a venture capitalist at Core Capital Partners.

Net Neutrality Advocates Blockade FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler’s Georgetown Home
www.popularresistance.org...

Memo to a President who said, in November, 2007, “I am in this race to tell the corporate lobbyists in Washington that their days of setting the agenda are over”: If you are going to name a former lobbyist for big cable and wireless companies as head of the federal agency that regulates the cable and wireless industries, you had better find a public-interest-group advocate to say something positive about him (or her) before you make the announcement.

www.newyorker.com...

OK, alrighty then

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The problem I see, for the advocates for government involvement is the simple fact that the concerns they raise are not an issue.

There are no restrictions for companies to do this currently, the free market is in control right now. So maybe raise this concern, when there is an actual issue.

I think the real stupid is trying to fix something that isn't broken.

The best argument would be towards banning monopolies and oligopolies.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

BAH HUMBUG!!!

If they believe those sites are a hindrance they just might try you are forgetting these folks had no qualms shutting down the government if Obama did not go along with their pet project of shelving ACA ...they crazy like dat!

I'm a pretty big conservative, evil, Tea Party jerk-face, and even I (me, moi) even I think having any political "group" in charge of something like the internet is a badbadbadbad idea.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

You and I built it with our tax dollars and then GAVE it to those companies to charge us access for... after those telecoms were given billions to build a network, then pocketed the money and refused to build one.

Thank you for bringing it up.

This is the true reason for the Obama Phone.

And the Bush Phone before it.

And the Clinton Phone before that.

And the Bush Phone Before that.

And the Reagan Phone before that....

"We the People" have already bought and built the Internet.

IT IS OURS (que patriotic muzac)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Obama is a fraud

On this issue he will up like a cheap camera.

The guy is an absolute weakling and phony

DO NOT DEPEND ON HIM

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join