It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epic Stupid: Ted Cruz - "Net Neutrality is Obamacare for the Internet"

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You are absolutely correct.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Perhaps instead of screeching at Ted Cruz that he's not very technical, we can see that he is interested in protecting free speech, not regulating it.

If he is for free speech than he is for net neutrality. Without net neutrality only the people that can afford to pay EXTRA and follow the agenda get heard.

So how is government involvement in the Internet free speech?
I don't buy it. Sorry. Especially seeing who is for it.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

With your reasoning the drug companies can poison our children and you don’t want to stop it because of some distorted idea of freedom and fear of government

That is a brilliant use of a straw man.

If a company was actually intentionally killing children they would be initiating force, thus one could use force to stop them.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I agree with you we are going to get screwed either way. However with net neutrality neither the gov't or the corporations had full control and that was the problem. It was a law that was passed in the early day of the internet that was consumer friendly and went under their radar.

They (gov't = Corporations) need to get back control of it. An if their is enough of a backlash from the people they will pass a bill called net neutrality to appease the masses but you can rest assure that what will be passed in the bill will not be net neutrality.

Only the consumer wins with net neutrality, Corporations and Government loose with net neutrality and they can't have that because they run the game.

edit on 151130America/ChicagoMon, 10 Nov 2014 20:15:00 -0600up3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Openeye

And if fast lanes are introduced a lot of businesses will end. Ending the means in which they feed themselves and their families... I call that violence.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
We certainly got what we voted for even if we stayed at home and didn't bother voting at all ,why should anyone be surprised or even angry we knew where he and others stand on the matter of science and corporate interest,but most looked passed their actions and statements to punish Obama ignoring other factors,Obama can only last 8yrs these guys can last as long as they have life, there are plenty of bright folks here on ATS but try sounding the alarm on money in politics or voter suppression and I guarantee a dead thread after a few bellicose post.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Openeye
a reply to: Willtell

With your reasoning the drug companies can poison our children and you don’t want to stop it because of some distorted idea of freedom and fear of government

That is a brilliant use of a straw man.

If a company was actually intentionally killing children they would be initiating force, thus one could use force to stop them.

Drug companies have already killed many not deliberately but by self-deception and distorting or ignoring drug trails…it’s already happened numerous times.

The point is that nothing is absolute

There is no absolute freedom to do or sell or control what you can control

If this government WAS FOR THE PEOPLE then we could depend on it to do the right thing when levels of coercion are called for…

What do you call having to buy car insurance?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

It doesn't matter.

You either have corporate dictating internet, or corporate bought politicians dictating internet.

The danger is that corporate only cares about money.
Politicians care about ideology.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Oh that takes the frigging cake.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Apologies.

Next time I post, I'll run it by you first for approval.

So sorry.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

And if fast lanes are introduced a lot of businesses will end. Ending the means in which they feed themselves and their families... I call that violence.

But Kali, those are small businesses, true family businesses, you know that Republicans only care about huge corporate scale businesses that can contribute to the coffers.

Small business, families? Pfft. Don't they have bootstraps?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

That is a possibility, one which I hope would not happen if fast lanes were created.

But what i think would probably happen is that a service provider would come around and take advantage of the fact that the major ISP's are gouging their customers, and in turn provide a cheaper alternative.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

/yawn

That's me, entirely bored of you playing victim.

link   
Don't be giving them ideas.

The consumer should be the one deciding how the internet can be accessed.

link   

originally posted by: beezzer
It doesn't matter.
You either have corporate dictating internet, or corporate bought politicians dictating internet.

Excellent point.

It is however, the Corporate money that buys the Politicians ideology.

If the Internet is Common Carrier, there is no one dictating it.

link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

How fast can packets fly out of your bootstraps?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The internet should be classified as a utility. Times are changing. Landline phones are becoming rarer and rarer, and the internet is replacing phones, as well as postal mail. So yeah, it should be treated as a utility. In fact, given that more and more job applications are only available online, as well as the cost saving measures of moving many operations online, it should be considered a very basic utility that is as necessary as a phone.

As to how to keep the internet neutral, I can see two sides of an argument, though Ted Cruz's side is not even worth considering. I really do not want the government to have an easy in to control of access, however, I sure as hell don't want it under the control of a handful of companies, either, who will also practice censorship and control of access. Something needs to be done to protect the net from private interests shaping it for their benefit.

I think the best solution is not for the government to write up new lengthy, cumbersome, and inefficient regulations, but to do what Obama suggested: reclassify the internet as a utility, and thus, it will be handled as such, treated under current existing regs. And so far, government regulation and control of utilities has proven to be way better than deregulated, privatized free for all utility markets (As I observed in my home state of California, when we deregulated the utilities market, we ended up with rolling blackouts, brownouts, and a huge blow to the economy as a result).

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

The major providers have already ensured that there is no room at that table. There is no entering that market.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

It doesn't matter.

The big money controls the politicians

The politicians work for the people with big money

Big money = government

People hate government but don’t hate the big money behind it

In this country the right wingers worry about food stamps, flimsy health care for the poor, and NEVER hardly worry about rich and powerful folks who constantly pull the wool over their eyes by diverting your attention to a poor person stealing welfare while they go out the back door stealing the whole dam country

They have emotionally manipulated you

Just like Cruz is doing with his NET NEUTRALITY= OBAMACARE

edit on 10-11-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BritofTexas

It doesn't matter.

Excellent point.

It is however, the Corporate money that buys the Politicians ideology.

If the Internet is Common Carrier, there is no one dictating it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it all looks like an illusion of "something being done".

I spent half the day trying to tell people that with the GOP in charge of Congress, this would be a bad idea, but I was ignored or told not to be so dramatic. Government is good at oversight.
Regulation is a good thing.

I thought I was in a twilight zone episode. I was warning about the GOP and everyone else was telling me to relax!

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join