It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Destinyone needs help! Calling ALL Mac and Illustrator users! URGENT!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Back story:
Des lost her husband on August 18th of this year, and he was the one that printed out the labels for her business, "Spa Creations by Britt". Since he passed away, she has no way to print out the labels for over 380 products that she makes. She was locked out of the computer.

I drove 656 miles to take a look at her computer in person, and was able to gain access to the computer and change the password so she could login. However, when trying to print the labels she needs, it just throws up a text screen. I'm baffled. I'm a Linux user, not a Mac expert, but here's what I found out, and thought I'd ask ATS for a solution....

The system boots Mac 10.5.8:

but also has 10.4.11 and 9.2.2 on it. Illustrator was installed on the 9.2.2 partition.

Accessing the 9.2.2 device brings up a folder of the previous install folder:

And let's me see the Illustrator 8.0 folder:

(He had printed labels 2 days before he passed.)

Opening the folder shows an Illustrator Icon that has a slashed circle over it:

and, Illustrator won't boot.

If you try to open one of the folders, called Lotions:

I see a bunch of associated AI8 files (with no file extension), with a strange HT f prefix. Internet searches aren't helpful:

And trying to double-click on the file yields a text file only:

Des has a Christmas Faire coming up, and needs labels by Nov. 16th at the latest, otherwise she has to cancel the show. The file size on those weird HT f files are 57 MB a piece, so I know that the files are there, and intact, and able to be read, but in this case I've reached the end of my Mac knowledge. I've backed up all the files to external storage, and will work on some sort of file conversion, but at this point, I decided to reach out to ATS for some help.

Any thoughts?

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Druid42

I have nothing to suggest. Just wanted to say good luck, Druid! I hope you get it figured out. I'm sure someone here will have some idea of what is going on with that.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I'd like to help, but I don't have any knowledge of that kind of stuff.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Is Illustrator present in the "Applications" folder? Did you try opening it from there?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
If that version only works in an earlier version of OS X then you'll need to boot into that OS. It looks like those drives represent earlier versions of OS X. At the startup you need to hold down the "Option" key to see the boot options.

Edit: To do this start the computer and then immediately hold the "Option" key until you hear the chime. Then you should see the other drives that are bootable. Pick the drive with Illustrator on it. That will boot the drive with the earlier install of OS X. Her husband probably knew well enough to do fresh installs on new HDs and kept the older drives with the earlier operating systems to run legacy programs he didn't feel he was going to upgrade. So that version of Illustrator is of an older vintage and won't run on 10.5.8. It will only run on 9.2.2 and that's why it's on the other drive and why you see an "X" thru it. It's all there. You just need to boot the correct drive using the method I stated

edit on 30723Mondayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31230Mondayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31940Mondayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

I'll take it the "option" key is the "windows" key. The system has a generic usb keyboard, and holding down the windows key does nothing. Still boots to 10.5.x, with no boot menu before. The next question is how to access the boot menu. I use grub with linux, but what's the mac equivalent?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Druid42

I'll take it the "option" key is the "windows" key. The system has a generic usb keyboard, and holding down the windows key does nothing. Still boots to 10.5.x, with no boot menu before. The next question is how to access the boot menu. I use grub with linux, but what's the mac equivalent?

No the "options" key is the left "Alt" key on a Windows keyboard.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Druid42

To access the boot menu you hold down the left "Alt" key on a Windows keyboard right after you hit the power button. When you hear the chime, you should see the different bootable drives along the bottom of the screen.
edit on 32750Mondayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

I'm not a mac user either, but it looks like if there are multiple versions of OS X installed on different partitions, then holding the "option" key which is located where the Windows key is on a non-apple keyboard, during boot should bring up a menu for the bootloader.

Alternatively, it looks like you can set the default partition to boot from from System Preferences > Startup Disks according to this dual booting tutorial on osxdaily.com.

EDIT:

Bilk is 100% correct, the left ALT key is the equivalent of the option key. The windows key would be the command key.

edit on 2014-11-10 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I'm not a mac user either, but it looks like if there are multiple versions of OS X installed on different partitions, then holding the "option" key which is located where the Windows key is on a non-apple keyboard, during boot should bring up a menu for the bootloader.

Alternatively, it looks like you can set the default partition to boot from from System Preferences > Startup Disks according to this dual booting tutorial on osxdaily.com.

EDIT:

Bilk is 100% correct, the left ALT key is the equivalent of the option key. The windows key would be the command key.
Thanks. You're suggestion was good as well - using system preferences to set the startup disk preference. That works too.
However doing it that way you need to remember to switch it back or it will always boot to that drive. Holding the option key is a one time use until the next boot.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I just cried while reading you drove nearly 700 miles to assist this poster. Seriously.

If you two can't figure it out, I'd suggest driving to an Apple store and having an Apple Guru walk through it and TAKE NOTES. How horrible to lose a spouse and also be unable to continue your business...

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Ok, That worked to get to the boot menu. However, it ONLY show the 10.5.8 and the 10.4.11 installs. What happened to the 9.2.2 option?

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I tried that as well, and it only shows the two installs. The 9.2.2 is not there. It does not give me the option to boot from that partition.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Just a suggestion, it looks as though 9.2.2 had become corrupted as an OS - Could I suggest you go to Adobe Creative Cloud and download a trial version of Illustrator and see if it opens your files.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
9.x partition will probably be using PPC binaries and i think 10.4 was the last that had the rosetta backwards compatability software to run ppc binaries under intel chips but i'd imagine the guy knew what he was doing and never really bothered to document his kludge

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Call some printers, ask them if they can print from an AI8 file. If they can, have them print the labels. If they can't, well, try asking for help on the Adobe forums. Maybe some veteran users can help you out.

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure he was printing from 10.4.11 . try booting to that one, to see if you can get adobe illustrator working. according to this link, you cannot boot a 9.2.2 after OS X install. Can't boot 9.2.2 after installing Tiger

For then, He MUST have been using the 10.4. Try it!

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Des and you must be 2 of the best persons here. I'll follow this thread waiting for a happy end.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
The 10.4 is also password protected. Tried following reset guide online...

L-alt to get to the boot menu, "win"-s to get to a command prompt. Tried the tut commands, but no admin acct. was made.

It's late. More suggestions are appreciated....

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I know I am repeating myself but it would be your best option if you have access to OS10.5.

I have Illustrator CC2014 on my machine and it will open ai.8 files.

If you have internet access, download the trial version of illustrator and install it onto to your 10.5 startup drive This will give you 30 days full use of Illustrator to print out your labels.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join