It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much are memories worth to you?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I personally would not want full recollection and I'm not prone to dwell on the past much although good memories are a great antidote to boredom.

I can really see how this sort of technology can be abused (although I myself would not abuse this technology). I can imagine that the elderly might get addicted to this technology as they become less and less physically active. I can imagine how cruel people may abuse this technology by modifying it's use and amalgamating it with other machineries and technologies. (Imagine a multiplex memory console with a group of captives strapped into it, squishing eachother's memories and minds together and creating a horror). Or imagine a modified version of the machine wherein two people's memory banks are traded or one person's memory bank is erased and replaced with another's. The prospects are endless.

Awesome idea though. I'd only want to own one if precise coordinates could be made and the technology could be programmed and thoroughly tested.

originally posted by: FlySolo
Just sit in a chair, strap a thingy to your head and whisk away to any point in your life. How much money would you pay to do that? There's moments of recollection sometimes which literally feel like no time has passed, a sudden ah ha moment where you remember an event as it was the day it first happened. Fresh in your mind but only covered in a few layers of dirt. 10 years? 20? 60? How often do you probe the depths of your memories for those little gems? What happens when you find them? You might remember just a tiny fraction of 1 sec,2? It's really not that long however it feels like the entire thing but is fleeting. Can't remember the whole damn day though. How old are you? In your 20's? na, this thread isn't for you. Wait a little longer. So for the rest of you, how much would you pay to recall every single day of your life?

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

As someone with dissociative amnesia, I'd pay a whole lot to be able to do that. It'd be almost priceless but I'd draw a line at trading my kids for it. Some prices are too steep. My soul? You can have it.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
About 12 , 500 dollars a meg.

This video goes into details on why..

youtu.be...
edit on 11/8/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I only wish that I could start over with the knowledge I hold now. Everything would be better. You pay for what you do in life. We are the sum of our experiences.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
We are all fooling ourselves if we think that our way of lives would be better without a commercial basis.
It is the system we depend on. So, everything, absolutely everything has a "$" tag on it.

A device like this would be the iPhone on steroids, if it were ever able to reach a stage of manufacturing.

Prices to the masses have to be somewhat reachable, so ... I can't wait.
edit on 8-11-2014 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

Just thinking about those years. I'm sure for many people find that period especially magical. While they are all totally different experiences for everyone, they still share some very common themes we can all relate to. Like pulling into the driveway of family or maintaining steadiness while walking along the snow packed street from the storm the day before.
Or, the dogs all barking as people continue to arrive at your house, shredded wrapping paper everywhere...

Thing is, it's very brief. Just a flash followed by a sensation of nostalgia. If you try to remember more, you just end up with false memories as your brain attempts to recreate the moment. (or is that just me) You may "know" how those family gatherings at xmas went down but it's next to impossible to "see" one play out as it actually happened. Heck, I have trouble remembering everything I did yesterday.

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I don't think we experience the passage of time in our lives, in years, but in notable events that take place.
These then construct a singular narrative, which we 'remember' .
I don't see memories popping out of no where, unless while,for some reason, editing the narrative.

I personally already remember what a care to recall, the rest you can keep.

edit on 9-11-2014 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: rom12345

I don't think we experience the passage of time in our lives, in years, but in notable events that take place.

I agree. That's why time seems irrelevant once you actually 'remember' something. Time only seems to be a 'made up' construct in the brain for the purpose of organizing events but has no real value or effect other than to layer things deeply.

I don't see memories popping out of no where, unless while,for some reason, editing the narrative.

Sometimes they do. Music usually is a trigger.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join