It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much are memories worth to you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Just sit in a chair, strap a thingy to your head and whisk away to any point in your life. How much money would you pay to do that? There's moments of recollection sometimes which literally feel like no time has passed, a sudden ah ha moment where you remember an event as it was the day it first happened. Fresh in your mind but only covered in a few layers of dirt. 10 years? 20? 60? How often do you probe the depths of your memories for those little gems? What happens when you find them? You might remember just a tiny fraction of 1 sec,2? It's really not that long however it feels like the entire thing but is fleeting. Can't remember the whole damn day though. How old are you? In your 20's? na, this thread isn't for you. Wait a little longer. So for the rest of you, how much would you pay to recall every single day of your life?
edit on 7-11-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I believe I would pay money to forget some things. But no, I would not pay any money to replay or recall anything.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Well, when I was younger, there was this one young lady.....

I could reply those nights for ever and ever.

And there are always the good times with the kids.

As for the rest of it, I would rather forget. It would be like watching horror movies.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I'm 46. I don't wanna replay every single day of my life. But, I'd like to replay some really good ones.

I tell my kids, that if I could go back in time I'd start from age 30. It was really tough before that age.

I had really great times and I had some really not great times. Just life...

I'd really like to relive some days of my kids being little though. That would be the best!

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Sighhhh, I guess in some ways it's better that I don't recall all those great moments for as a guy in my forties, it's very depressing at times to see how fast time has really moved...I'm much more interested now in making some great memories for my kids...(at least I like to think I do)...

Pictures are important and I try to take a lot..only downside is that I'm seldom in them..wife's not big on taking pictures..

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Well, when I was younger, there was this one young lady.....

I could reply those nights for ever and ever.

And how much is it worth to you? muuhahaha.

Like a "home entertainment" device; I should have specified that in the OP. Like an x-box. Strap it on and go to any memory.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

I'm 46. I don't wanna replay every single day of my life. But, I'd like to replay some really good ones.

My response would be the same as what I said to pheonix. If you could put a dollar value on memories, what would it be?
Kind of a philosophical thread but in the science forum.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

A great thread, and thank you.
My few good memories make some of the bad ones livable.
The bad are there to remind me of how not to make more.
Both aren't for sale because they cost me everything.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: tinker9917

My response would be the same as what I said to pheonix. If you could put a dollar value on memories, what would it be?

PRICELESS
Good and bad, I want to remeber what I have learned.

edit on 7-11-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I just studied something about how some anesthetics they use in surgery actually erase some memories. The drug that they knock you out by making it so you do not remember being awake during the surgery has long term effects on about a third of the people. It was an interesting article.

I wouldn't want to forget anything I retained in my life. I learned from everything I experienced. These memories, both good and bad make me who I am. I am who I am, I do not want to alter that. If you learn from your mistakes, they are learning experiences, learn and don't dwell on them and let them make you negative or feel less confident about yourself. The lack of confidence makes you prey of those who have confidence and like to control others. We are all good people inside if we learn to forgive ourselves and to admit we have all erred in the past and it was just a part of our learning experience here on earth. It is time to start a new life with the experience we have gained. Do not try to destroy these memories or pack them away, analyze them and learn from them.

Protecting the mistakes we have made is not good, just say you messed up and move on. Now, I am not saying you should admit to crimes or misgivings that you think you may have committed, I am just saying to change into a better person. Someone you would respect. This awakening and self evaluation is necessary to change to the better and start over. Some people will try not to let you do this though, they want control over you because of your past actions.

But don't listen to me, I am an abnormal white footed mouse, a pesky creature that sings when it is happy.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
If anyone needs any extra memories, mine are available on a rent to own arrangement. Some are quite exciting...of course those cost al bit more than "trip to post office" style are quite reasonable and we have weekly special on buy 3 and get a grab bag with a surprise.

If you have any surfing memories, Id like to make an offer on those. Or perhaps we could trade some of mine when I went to lots of parties.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I too wouldn't pay to remember ANYTHING from my past. And I would definitely pay to forget the majority of my memories.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

And how much is it worth to you? muuhahaha. Like a "home entertainment" device; I should have specified that in the OP. Like an x-box. Strap it on and go to any memory.

The world is a crappy place because of money. Why does everything have to have a $ value.

How about you feel generous and work for the betterment of mankind. The greed that infests society will bring it down eventually.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I would pay to re-live some memories of my father but I would also pay to wipe some memories away like of his death.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
It's an interesting concept... but I wouldn't change anything. UNLESS I had an illness, like amnesia or Alzheimer. While I don't particularly love my life and my memories, they do make me who I am. And yeah, I'm not exactly as great as I wish I were, but I'll only get better if I know all the wrong stuff I've done. About good memories, if they were truly good, I'll remember them. So no money from me, sorry.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
i would pay more money to have some sort of delete function...
i have a lot of memories that i would like to dump off

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Gee. Sort of reminds me of a movie.
www.imdb.com...

Most of who we are is the result sum of our experience, pleasant and unpleasant. Remove those experiences and you will not be who you are.

If you don't like who you are...well I'm not sure forgetting stuff will help. It would just leave a void.

edit on 11/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/8/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Most of who we are is the result sum of our experience, pleasant and unpleasant. Remove those experiences and you will not be who you are.

If you don't like who you are...well I'm not sure forgetting stuff will help. It would just leave a void.

i guess im ok with myself....dont really want to be anyone else...this is a hypothetical question and thats my answer...

there are lots of painful memories i would love to be rid of...in some cases i think a void would be better than what i remember...for me anyway

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
i would pay more money to have some sort of delete function...
i have a lot of memories that i would like to dump off

What if you couldn't delete your own private memories, but could replay only certain ones for others? In many ways, this is not any different from what we have today.

en.wikipedia.org - The Final Cut (2004 film)...

The Final Cut is a 2004 science-fiction thriller film written and directed by Omar Naim. It stars Robin Williams, Jim Caviezel, Mira Sorvino, Mimi Kuzyk, Stephanie Romanov, Genevieve Buechner and Brendan Fletcher. The film takes place in a setting where memory implants make it possible to record entire lives. Williams plays a professional who specializes in editing the memories of unsavory people into uncritical memorials that are played at funerals.

Per the OP, which would receive more attention, deleting bad memories or replaying good ones?
edit on 8-11-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Christmas Eve/morning from ages 4 to 9.

I would pay handsomely to live that again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join