It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voters give nod to legal marijuana in Oregon, Alaska, and Washington, D.C.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Given the results of the Congress work day and what they see as important issues, they must already be getting stoned.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Given the results of the Congress work day and what they see as important issues, they must already be getting stoned.

Maybe someone should sneak a bit of meth into there coffee they may get things done then!

Joking aside Im going to bet 60% at least are on coke as MJ is for the poor people
No really having seen the sort of people in a high class rehab centre for the rich in the UK Im pretty certain many are on it

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

In one of the meetings with Tom Frieden a young man walked in after the proceedings began and had the glassiest, wettest, reddest eyes I have ever seen.

Do as I say not as I do.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
My family will be relocating to Oregon in December. Great timing eh? Anybody in Oregon want to go half on a dispensary?

I truly believe the tide is turning. I feel that within 10 years, it will legalized nationally. There is so much money to be made.

I'm in Southern Oregon and greenhouses were being built around here at gangbuster speed this summer. The current Colorado price for a lb of trimmed bud is around $1000 give or take based on genetics.

The price really should come down over time but relatively quickly to something more appropriate to the difficulty in growing (not much, it's a freekin' weed and the long hot dry summers here are perfect growing conditions) and demand; something like twice the price of a beefsteak tomato per pound makes a lot more sense. After all, if it's legal and you can grow your own, people who can will do that, especially the ones who need it medicinally, they're generally not gainfully employed due to their illnesses. The newest and most impressive uses are for marijuana leaves fresh and juiced and you need a BIG grow to supply that every day. The people in Colorado that are buying by the gram are tourists and weekend tokers, not 'medicinal' users with cancer, MS and epilepsy.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
And you would feel comfortable if your surgeon smoked it an hour before he walked in to do surgery on you?

And you would feel comfortable knowing that someone smoked before they got in the car to drive you somewhere?

I don't think people should consume anything that would impair their work, whether it's pot, alcohol, coc aine or sleeping pills.

I would absolutely feel comfortable knowing that someone smoked before driving me. No problem at all.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Booze is childish too. Go ahead and use those to escape life. I'll be clear and free of the drunken stupor or the laziness of Marijuana. I don't need a crutch to make it though life. I hope more people smoke. They will be easy prey.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

None of that post addressed my question. That was just one giant strawman written to belittle people who enjoy smoking weed. Now that you got that out of the way, can you answer the question?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

Everyone has crutches that they use to get through life. While some may rely on a substance, others may use a hobby, or a pass time. Though I'd wager that you aren't the picture of perfect health when it comes to things you imbibe. I wonder if you drink coffee (caffeine) or drink sugary drinks or eat fast food. You are no better or special than any other person who inhabits this rock. You should really drop that holier than thou attitude. Glass houses and all.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm in Alaska, Anchorage specifically, and I voted in favor of it.

But it wasn't an easy choice, per say. I didn't like the fact that the proposal also allowed edibles and mixtures on it; I would have preferred to see just marijuana in it's "raw" form.

However I voted in support of it for a few reasons: One, legalize it to regulate it. Two: Taxes. Three: Entrepreneurial and small business opportunities. Four: It deserves a fair chance to prove it can be "no worse, or better" than alcohol as proponents tout.

But I also did it just to, essentially, hope that it plays a long angle on the oil taxes a chunk of Alaskans gave up like idiots. Some quick history: pot used to be legal in Alaska, completely. I think it was in the 80's the Feds offered up a big road-project fund that they would dole out to states that signed up for it; but one of the caveats was making MJ use illegal. Alaska went ahead and did that, minus the 'use in your home' clause.

Road projects are a pretty big source of jobs and economic stimulus up here. By approving what was Prop 2 for us we also potentially turned down hundreds of millions in road project funding per year. Now we get to see if the taxes from marijuana make up for that. More so; I'm hoping that they circle back around and bring up the oil-tax break issue again; so that maybe we can go back and undo the mistake of giving away our finite resource.

Long shot, but I can hope.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

Is that Kevin Arnold's older sister from Wonder Years?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

From a group called 'Blackmore's Night'.

There were also quite a few little wins yesterday for marijuana decriminalization in places like Maine and California. I don't know why the organizers of these legalization measures are only going for a handful of states in 2016. I could pick more than five or six states where it would pass with my eyes closed (and I often do).

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire
the price should come down? its like $460 an ounce in NY. id gladly trade price schemes with you.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

None of that post addressed my question. That was just one giant strawman written to belittle people who enjoy smoking weed. Now that you got that out of the way, can you answer the question?

You are wondering what would happen if it were made legal for recreational use. I am giving you examples of who would be using it.

Do you really think that was belittling the users when the users don't even want to address the problem of who would be using recreationally before going to work?

We are talking about restrictions on recreational marijuana use, and if that is what we are doing then you tell us the very good reasons a person SHOULD be legally permitted to smoke marijuana BEFORE they go to work? Come on, tell us the good reason your surgeon would.

Think of every job out there and think then if it were freely legal to do, then which particular occupations would cause the most at risk problems in society. You seem to be promoting the usage so tell me to assuage my fears. Can YOU guarantee to the rest of us that marijuana is not in any way dangerous and that it should not be regulated?

There is no way a doctor would be permitted to operate on some while intoxicated on alcohol, but let's be childish and never address the problem of marijuana intoxication.

It is called INTOXICATION, that is what getting high or low is. And how many hits does it take for one to be intoxicated on marijuana? Think about the intoxicating power if one joint is consumed compared to how much alcohol one drinks to reach the exact same level.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I'm a pot smoker and I don't WANT federal government legalizing weed across the board at the federal level - THAT'S THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN TO US POT SMOKERS.

We Need NO Regulation and NO Taxation.

So far, Only Washington CD is doing it right with NO selling of weed or taxing it but sadly they are looking into taxing and selling it too.

The problem is the governments local and federal if they pass it nationwide, is that they will use the Alcohol regulatory boards to regulate pot. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!! The taxes on POT are SO Much higher than taxes on Alcohol it is NOT fair to WE THE PEOPLE who want and need our pot.

BIG GOVERNMENT here is Still THE PROBLEM and stupid pot smokers want weed so bad they don't care HOW they are getting screwed to get it. None of these new laws are changing that. Your only recourse is to move to Denver for example where you can grow a total of 12 plants and keep a perpetual garden year round.
edit on 5-11-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You are wondering what would happen if it were made legal for recreational use. I am giving you examples of who would be using it.

Do you really think that was belittling the users when the users don't even want to address the problem of who would be using recreationally before going to work?

We are talking about restrictions on recreational marijuana use, and if that is what we are doing then you tell us the very good reasons a person SHOULD be legally permitted to smoke marijuana BEFORE they go to work? Come on, tell us the good reason your surgeon would.

Think of every job out there and think then if it were freely legal to do, then which particular occupations would cause the most at risk problems in society. You seem to be promoting the usage so tell me to assuage my fears. Can YOU guarantee to the rest of us that marijuana is not in any way dangerous and that it should not be regulated?

There is no way a doctor would be permitted to operate on some while intoxicated on alcohol, but let's be childish and never address the problem of marijuana intoxication.

It is called INTOXICATION, that is what getting high or low is. And how many hits does it take for one to be intoxicated on marijuana? Think about the intoxicating power if one joint is consumed compared to how much alcohol one drinks to reach the exact same level.

Your argument makes absolutely no sense, and I think you know that.

Alcohol is legal, why aren't you going around screaming and wailing about the dangers of people going into work drunk?

Arrogant people like you had their day, and it's coming to and end. Your ignorant views will lo longer doom others, and that makes you sad. What a sick, sick, sick, individual. Maybe you need Medical Cannabis.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Opponents
Organizations
The Oregon Pediatric Society[19]
The American Academy of Pediatrics
The American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
The American Medical Association
The American Society of Addiction Medicine
Oregon Republican Party
Restore America
Parents Opposed to Pot
Oregon State District Attorney's Association
Oregon State Sheriff's Association
Oregon Narcotics Enforcement Association
The Oregon Catholic Conference
Officials
Judge Gary Thompson[19] Judge Tom Kohl State Rep. John Huffman (R-59) State Rep. Gene Whisnant (R-53) State Sen. Tim Knopp (R-27) Dwight Holton, former U.S. Attorney for Oregon District Attorney Josh Marquis (Clatsop County) District Attorney Daina Vitolins (Crook County) District Attorney Eric Nisley (Wasco County) Sheriff Jason Myers (Marion County) Sheriff Pat Garrett (Washington County) Sheriff Jim Adkins (Jefferson County) Sheriff Tom Bergin (Clatsop County)

ballotpedia.org...

This is a list of the the (losing) declared opposition to Oregon's measure 91.
Republicans, Catholics, AMA(Big Med), and cops.
HIck Sherrifs, and some shadowy organizations funded by god knows who.

Those of you struggling to legalize the plant in your state, be wary of such usual suspects.
It appears to me that intelligent organization, persistence, and monies in the millions of dollars were crucial here, to make first medical, and finally legal, a reality.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: tranquilone666
460 an ounce in NY? You are getting ripped off bigtime....

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: nomickeyshere

Cancer Cancer Cancer.....first it was Liberalism, now Mary Jane......circling the drain faster and faster

Cheer up. I'm sure many will find fit to drink themselves into a stupor over it.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I would like to see Pot make legal everywhere.

Let's put the people who import pot out of business.

Just my thought

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join