It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voters give nod to legal marijuana in Oregon, Alaska, and Washington, D.C.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: snypwsd

Maybe you'll pay more for a time but when the market balances itself out the prices will be better.

(post by FlySolo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
Congrats to Oregon, Alaska, and Washington, D.C. I hope MICHIGAN is soon.

Maybe I'm just not awake enough yet but reading this and seeing "Washington D.C." on the end just keeps making laugh aloud over and over again. LOLOL Marijuana--illegal federally, legal in our capitol.

lmao

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Its a beautiful thing is it not?

I wish I was in van city.... But Abby is not too far away from all the fun. We need Marc to fire up the troops.

Isnt Justin trudeau running to legalize it nationally next fall?
edit on 521114p35205 by snypwsd because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: nomickeyshere
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Cancer Cancer Cancer.....first it was Liberalism, now Mary Jane......circling the drain faster and faster

You backwater hick its a plant!

(post by FlySolo removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I don't understand some people, what is this hatred for pot smokers due to? I cant tell you the last time i heard about a guy high on pot, or wanting pot going and shooting a place up to get it. cant say the same about liquor or cigarettes. Many of you have this mindset that every pot smoker is like Cheech and Chong, while many are very successful individuals. Everyone loves to use C&C as a negative example of what pot brings, notice though that all they are famous for is being actors and smoking weed. Our country idolizes The Liquid courage but demonizes the plant of peace. go to a party where everyone is drinking 9/10 times there's a fight, a pot party the worst you'll see is someone eat the last pizza roll.

As far as prices, at first they will be higher but as long as it is a free market and not a government structured price scale they will drop below the black market economy. There is huge money in the Weed business because it is illegal. remove the chance of going to jail for it and the cost is just in actually growing it, not smuggling it to market. legalize it and take that revenue stream away from the cartels and gangs and corner thug who will kill you, not over the pot but over the money. remove the illegality and remove the violence and insane incarceration rates we deal with.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

So true.. Soooo true!

It would be nice to grow my own plants without neighbours complaining. That's really all I want is the right to grow my own supply.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

This is the biggest hypocritical issue I see right now.

We're considered criminals but the ones who make laws (and don't interact with the society they "govern") can get their medication hassle-free.

So now it's just Dope & Mange and boy can I believe in it.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The whole D.C. vote is where it gets truly interesting. Because DC is a district Congress --- you know, the GOP controlled 'we stand for individual liberties and freedoms' party --- has the power to over-turn the DC vote. That's right, although the PEOPLE of DC voted to legalize it, out-of-state Republicans (and yes, Democrats, too) have the power to tell DC voters that their vote doesn't matter. Take that DC. Let's keep an eye on this. Could be instructive.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

This is the biggest hypocritical issue I see right now.

We're considered criminals but the ones who make laws (and don't interact with the society they "govern") can get their medication hassle-free.

So now it's just Dope & Mange and boy can I believe in it.

I don't smoke pot so count me out on the "we" here. As far as it being hypocritical, not, it isn't. See, we live in a democracy even at the federal level. Four states saying "this is legal" doesn't mean that every other state and the federal government must make it so--even if the capitol of the country makes it legal. When enough states go ahead and pass laws that legalize it themselves, then it'll eventually get to a threshold point where there will be enough states supporting a federal law. That process takes time. If your state isn't one of the four, then it's up to you, as someone with a vested interest in legalizing the stuff, to start pushing for the same in your state.

There are 50 states in the US. Not 3 and 1 district.

a reply to: jtma508

Yep. Will be interesting indeed.
edit on 5/11/14 by WhiteAlice because: added second reply

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Despite your personal view, don't forget the fact that per the Constitution, the Federal gov't doesn't have the right to outlaw weed. This is unmistakably in the category of 'State's rights'.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't necessarily agree with getting intoxicated on the job, but how is smoking marijuana on the job for a medical condition any different than popping a pain pill for a bad back? You do know that marijuana isn't just taken for pleasure correct?

And you would feel comfortable if your surgeon smoked it an hour before he walked in to do surgery on you?

And you would feel comfortable knowing that someone smoked before they got in the car to drive you somewhere? We can talk about the effects of alcohol intoxication, but if you could remind us all, how many hits of marijuana does it take before someone is intoxicated from it?

Have you actually seen people you worked with who smoked it at home just before they came to work? Tell me you think it's fun working with a stoned, glassy eyed moron who can't stop laughing and giggling in front of a room full of customers. The funny thing is, people don't see how stupid they actually are while they are high, but the rest of us do.

But hey, if your surgeon would do better then let's not regulate it, after all, you are the one he's cutting on.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Please kindly quit the FEAR MONGERING!

It is a plant with medicinal value, there is no need for the out dated Reefer Madness mentality.

I seriously doubt you would make up the same BS if you found out that a surgeon was prescribed pain pills and anxiety meds.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

Please kindly quit the FEAR MONGERING!

It is a plant with medicinal value, there is no need for the out dated Reefer Madness mentality.

I seriously doubt you would make up the same BS if you found out that a surgeon was prescribed pain pills and anxiety meds.

So you don't want to answer the question honestly?

Then you know what I am talking about.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

What a crock. Weed has been widely available (legal or not) forever. Making it legal doesn't mean you can do it wherever/whenever you please. Employers and licensing agencies have regulations. Your argument is specious to say the least. Your surgeon is far more likely to show-up in the OR under the influence of alcohol. Or maybe even pain pills as both are addictive rendering the surgeon less able to 'choose' to use.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

Despite your personal view, don't forget the fact that per the Constitution, the Federal gov't doesn't have the right to outlaw weed. This is unmistakably in the category of 'State's rights'.

It's not a matter of personal view, jtma508. I have no opinion on the legalization of marijuana outside of the hope that legalization stops sending a lot of people to prison to fleece correctional corporate pockets. If the federal law classifying marijuana as a legal drug were unconstitutional, then it should've been taken up to the Supreme Court. God knows that there would've been plenty of cases within the justice system to attempt to do that through consistent appeal and writ. Didn't happen.

**Actually it did happen in US v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers' Coop and Gonzales v. Raich. In both cases, the Supreme Court ruled that federal law trumped state.

Congress is vested with the power to make federal laws. Each one of those congress people represent the votes within the state. It's called representative government. The ability to pass federal law is found to be vested in the US Constitution. That's their job--amend, repeal or create legislation--and that's exactly what they did in 1970 with the Controlled Substances Act and again, in 1986 with the Anti-Drug Abuse Act.

Again, that's not my personal view. It is an observation of the facts which you can confirm for yourself. If you'd like to have ourselves exist in a situation where states' rights trumped all, I'd suggest going back to the Articles of Confederation period which lasted between 1777 and 1789. That's where you find a circumstance where states' rights thoroughly trump the law of the land.

edit on 5/11/14 by WhiteAlice because: corrected an error at the **

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Well, well, well. Obama can now smoke marijuana legally when he's out on the golf course, which is about every day.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't necessarily agree with getting intoxicated on the job, but how is smoking marijuana on the job for a medical condition any different than popping a pain pill for a bad back? You do know that marijuana isn't just taken for pleasure correct?

And you would feel comfortable if your surgeon smoked it an hour before he walked in to do surgery on you?

And you would feel comfortable knowing that someone smoked before they got in the car to drive you somewhere? We can talk about the effects of alcohol intoxication, but if you could remind us all, how many hits of marijuana does it take before someone is intoxicated from it?

Have you actually seen people you worked with who smoked it at home just before they came to work? Tell me you think it's fun working with a stoned, glassy eyed moron who can't stop laughing and giggling in front of a room full of customers. The funny thing is, people don't see how stupid they actually are while they are high, but the rest of us do.

But hey, if your surgeon would do better then let's not regulate it, after all, you are the one he's cutting on.

No I wouldn't mind to #1 and #2. As for your biased view on people who are high you're just projecting. I've worked with people who are high and if anything it makes them more pleasant and focused.
edit on 5-11-2014 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Im old I vote red and Im for legalization.
So dont put us all in the same boat.
My friends are the same.
Stop spending money to control it and start making money
off taxing it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join