It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLEASE, recommend me a good science fiction movie.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: WampusCrandle

Totally agree. Great show. I've been trying to find out if that bit about the Mozart piece(Ave Verum Corpus) and the deaths surrounding the performance in 1791 were real but have found nothing. Just one of those things I wonder if it's real or not.

Oh, and one other sci-fi show(sort of) that bears watching - Pigs In Space. Can't go wrong with The Muppets in space.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I didn't read all of the replies so I'm not sure if my suggestions will help. I recently stumbled upon a sci-fi flick that wasn't the best but it really surprised me. It's called Outlander. I didn't expect to sit through the entire film but it kept my attention long enough to see it through. Like yourself, I mostly watch sci-fi so its hard to find something I haven't already seen. This movie isn't original or anything but it's worth watching if your any kind of sci-fi fan. I'm not making it sound enjoyable but it's pretty good for what it is.

I can also recommend a tv series by Steven Spielberg called "Taken". In my opinion, this is a great show. You might know this one, but if you haven't seen it, check it out. I have a difficult time finding tv shows that I like because I prefer movies, but this series is one of my favourites.

That's all of the recommendations I can think of for the moment. I kind of agree with the comments about Star Trek Enterprise though. I actually enjoyed some of it, but that's probably because I like the idea of the early exploration missions. That song needs to go down as the worst opening of a tv series ever! Seriously, who made that awesome decision? My major complaint about "Enterprise" is that they should have called it "Star Trek, Time Travel". The temporal readings for that show are off the scale. Still, it had it's moments. I think it portrayed the risk and seriousness of the unknown better than all of the other Star Trek shows did. Lots of people died, not just the red shirts. Maybe that contributed to its dislike.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Pigs in Space ... a true space opera if I've ever seen one!

I also couldn't find anything on the Mozart stuff. I haven't heard anything yet, but the 2nd season hasn't been announced yet. I hope it will be soon. Mira Sorvino ... oh lawd, Mira Sorvino.

media.tumblr.com...
edit on 10-11-2014 by WampusCrandle because: quick to respond, forgot the response

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
project x ......This is an oldie but a must see. I just saw it again. I think it ages gracefully. *Flying monkeys.....

outpost 11......This is a slow paced SCI-FI psychological thriller. Its worth at least a watch. I liked the setting and universe the story takes place in. Its like a steam punk /primitive /advanced future.

Almost Human......This movie is more SCI-FI horror. Its nothing really nuts but still a worthy little story. It wasnt bad or anything so its worth a watch. WARNING: Slight gore and strong sexual content.

After the Dark......I think someone suggested this before...Its fantastic! Worth owning a copy of. Its the best movie on this list. Awesome.

edit on 11 10 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I just thought of two more fantastic sci-fi shows that is truly in my top 10. Utopia on the BBC. Helix on the SyFy.

Unfortunately, the BBC cancelled it after two addictive seasons. On the flip side, HBO just decided to re-make it in 'Merica!

Helix is the first show that made me rethink the SyFy channel. It's a smart, fun, interesting twist on something old into something new.

I really can't say enough great things about both shows and really worth giving a shot if you get chubby on sci-fi.

posted on Nov, 11 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I am almost finished with HELIX episode 1 and 2. I have the rest of season one to watch after. Its pretty freaking awesome.

Thanks for the heads up.

I didnt want to mention this trilogy since it is more horror than anything else, BUT, if you guys want a good movie you may have not seen yet check out "VHS" 1,2,and 3 (Viral). They are REALLY good. Each movie is a set of short stories and some are great SCI-Fi stories.
If you guys havent seen them do so. *Mild nudity, strong gore, horror.

edit on 11 11 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

edit on 11 11 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

1 & 2 were good but Viral is pretty terrible.
The magician story was really the only good one.
It's a shame because the series looked to be really going places.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Watch a movie called love.
About a guy on the iss.
Awesome movie.

Some very nice scenes but mostly a boring mess.
I really wanted to like it and in parts it was nice, but mostly not very good.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I'm glad you are digging Helix. It's honestly good enough to the point where, when you watch it, you would be shocked to learn it was from the SyFy channel.

As for the VHS trilogy ... the first one was terrifying, the second was absolutely fantastic and scarier than the first ... but Viral was just a major let down. Of all the stories that were shown, there were really only two good ones. And the arch that tried to connect them all together truly bombed.

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Starman. IDK if it's been mentioned. Not a typical Scifi but interesting. An aliens look at humanity. Funny at times:

It's a Scifi that you can enjoy with your girl. She'll like it too:

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
Dude I loved Star-man. It was the movie that gave me a huge crush on Karen Allen as a kid.

I think there was a crappy 80s show about it too. I was looking through crappy 80s Sci-fi shows and I think I saw one about the Star-man concept where he raises his son.

While I am at it.

Everyone one here that is not terrible should watch "The colony". Its a really good movie even though it got a low budget compared to other Hollywood projects. Still epic though. Its worth owning a copy of.

edit on 11 12 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Yeah I agree about VHS as you and another said. The first ones were awesome. The last was a little dumb. It had like 3 good side stories and the main story kind of fragmented into nothingness.

Helix is good though. I forget I am watching a TV show and not a major box office film production. Thanks for that. Today I start episode 2 and maybe 3.

Thanks again.

edit on 11 12 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I just watched Interstellar. I highly recommend it!

This is going to be a sci-fi classic in my opinion. Has anyone else seen it?
edit on 11-13-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I am going to watch that today. I heard bad things but I dont listen to people when it comes to film or TV. People drool over what idiots make popular. Interstellar looks good enough to try with no reservations in mind.

I just saw a trailer after the one you posted. I am all excited and nervous now.

check this out.

Jupiter Ascending

That looks like one of the best SCI-Fi movies this decade. The cast is outright excellent. The production looks like it will spare no expense. The story itself could be infinitely good. This story is exactly the sort of thing that gets people interested in Sci-Fi.

edit on 11 13 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
'The Time Bandits' is a great sci-fi fantasy film (time travelling dwarfs - doesn't get much better than that).

Also if you like sci fi short films then there's a thread here and 'The Gift' is very, very good - please feel free to add any.

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Oh my that does look cool. I was sold the second I saw Sean Bean! I love that guy. Lots of cool effects too, which is something that I always enjoy.

Also I second Time Bandits

posted on Nov, 13 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Hey, That looks cool as hell thanks. Time bandits is now on my list.

Also, I just saw Interstellar. WOW. Its one of the best movies I have ever seen. Just wow.

edit on 11 13 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I watched Interstellar and I really liked it. Also got into Helix and love that show, can't wait for the next season.

I just wrote a review thread a bit ago for a movie called The Signal. I highly recommend it if you are into sci-fi thrillers.

Another movie I recently watched is The Last Day on Mars. It was a pretty decent movie about a virus on Mars.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I just remembered another good one that not many people have seen due to a limited release and small budget.

Ink is a great film and quite exciting in parts. It's got similarities to La Cite des Enfants and Dark City in the way it includes unknown intelligences having influence over our reality.

Coincidentally, the director has just released a film called 'Frame' that's already got some rootsy buzz about being a potential classic of sci-fi and fantasy.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12
Time Bandits is great. As are most if not all of Terry Gilliam's films. He's got a new one coming out soon that looks promising.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join