It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats threatening Democrats into going to the polls

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

It's funny because you first posted this:

A typical strategy Phish, they will say you misrepresented facts, you lied, you made stuff up, that your reading comprehension is bad, that you are changing the subject, or whatever else they can dig up

And then you posted this:

That's rich that ThinkProgress is telling people that the GOP is trying to fake people out by making them think the GOP Superspies will know how they voted, when it's always been the Unions who are doing that.

But did you happen to read this at the source of that article?

The tactic is employed by liberals and conservatives to use social psychology to increase the chances that people vote. In every state but Virginia, whether or not you participated in an election is public. “[I]f you publicize something, it has a very powerful effect on behavior,” Chris Larimer, an Iowa political scientist, told USA Today in 2012.

Now, it's beyond me to say that you changed the subject to unions, without addressing the topic at hand, and that your reading comprehension is bad........but you changed the subject and reading comprehension is bad.

The source clearly said that both sides use this tactic. Why can't we agree with that and hold both parties to the same set of criteria? This is entire argument is disingenuous. We both know that each party uses low-brow tactics but when it's "our" party in question, we simply plug our hears and say "the other guys are doing it".

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: doubtit
I'm not familiar with how parties get information to send out letters like this but lets assume they just got a general mailing list of registered voters and sent out a mass mailing, since nowhere have I seen evidence that it was only sent to democrats.

Why is sending a letter that while yes could have been worded better, being blown out of proportion? What I see here is a party simply trying to figure out why people don't vote.

They are not going to waste the postage and cost of printing and manpower on the GOP list. Get real! Or do some campaign work and then you will understand better how it works.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Yes, I said it's rich how ThinkProgress acts all like it's only Republicans who do this. Pretty funny really. Progressives are masters at the art of Projection! Are you going to deny that unions strongarm their members into voting a certain way?
Or how about when corporations push their employees? Remember this hotair.com...

edit on 1-11-2014 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

Yes, I said it's rich how ThinkProgress acts all like it's only Republicans who do this. Pretty funny really. Progressives are masters at the art of Projection!

How can you say that when I just highlighted that their piece said BOTH liberals and conservatives use that tactic?

They are not acting like it's only republicans and it's right there in black and white for you to see.

So you do have reading comp issues and, once again, changing the subject.

This is too easy!

edit on 11/1/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

To get me to believe as you do absolutely without question is utterly futile.

If that is your goal, may I suggest that you give up and save everyone pointless screen-scroll?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

How can you say that when I just highlighted that their piece said BOTH liberals and conservatives use that tactic?

Maybe it has something to do with reading comprehension

:-)

(I see you have that covered - I have premature reading comprehension)
edit on 11/1/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Oh please! The entire article was all about how the evil GOP was pressuring their constituency. Likely it was just a little disclaimer so that some factchecking org won't blast them for being overly partisan, but it's so obvious the entire article was about GOP. Where was the actual instance they posted of something the Democrats did? Right, it wasn't there!

Here is the specific statement I was looking at:

ads at issue go beyond traditional “vote shaming” by strongly implying that their ballot will not be secret.

thinkprogress.org...
If that doesn't scream projection of their own Progressive techniques I don't know what does. you know it's what Card Check was all about. Willfully ignoring stuff doesn't change it.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

For real? You are the third person on this thread to use this cheap shot!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Because there's something to it perhaps?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

To get me to believe as you do absolutely without question is utterly futile.

If that is your goal, may I suggest that you give up and save everyone pointless screen-scroll?

That's fine. I like to argue points, but I know it won't change anything for you. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss it in an open forum.
Still, if you decide you are going to try to shut down real debate, you are going to look like those guys who want to stop Rush Limbaugh from doing his program, or those people who in their attempt to have free speech they end up pushing "fair speech" or "equal speech".

save everyone pointless screen-scroll?

Wait, are you assuming everyone here believes as you do?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Oh please! The entire article was all about how the evil GOP was pressuring their constituency. Likely it was just a little disclaimer so that some factchecking org won't blast them for being overly partisan, but it's so obvious the entire article was about GOP. Where was the actual instance they posted of something the Democrats did? Right, it wasn't there!

ads at issue go beyond traditional “vote shaming” by strongly implying that their ballot will not be secret.

thinkprogress.org...
If that doesn't scream projection of their own Progressive techniques I don't know what does. you know it's what Card Check was all about. Willfully ignoring stuff doesn't change it.

The article was about this particular case...which was about the GOP, but they were also wise enough to include that liberals do it as well.

Where was the actual instance they posted of something the Democrats did? Right, it wasn't there!

Correct. The article had nothing to do with the Dems. Again, this was about this particular incident.

So now you are picking and choosing what to address and not taking it in it's entire context? Well.....with that sort of approach how can you come to any logical conclusions at all?

Again, changing the subject. Address the topic at hand. Is the GOP doing this or not? If so, and you believe this sort of tactic to be shady, would you agree that the GOP is no better than the unions or liberals that use the same sort of tactic?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

For real? You are the second person on this thread to use this cheap shot! Too funny. Actually maybe even the third, as Sheeps implied it in a more indirect manner.

No, I was pretty direct about it. You claimed that they were acting like only Republicans do it, but I pointed out quite clearly that they said the opposite. Therefore, you either can't understand what you are reading or you are deliberately dismissing it to make an irrelevant point.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
But ... except in a few cases, it is definitely NOT reading comprehension in the purest sense of the word.

They have learned, by emulation, to misquote, misapprehend, misstate every argument they find running counter to the GOP Gospel. This tendency came into the party in the time of Reagan, with the merging in of the Religious Right. Words don't mean what they mean, anymore, logic has no place, everything has to do with what the given winger BELIEVES.

For example, there is a notably Con-servative member here who BELIEVES that when I disagree with his/her posts and point out the shortcomings of either their evidence or their logic, I'm going on a personal attack. And yet, sometimes in the SAME paragraph with whining about personal attacks, he/she tells me how I can't comprehend their thought process, or that I'm like ALL OTHER Democrats and am a despicable, lying, cheating, lazy lout, who is probably living off the government and reading the Communist Manifesto, that is when I manage to put down my double-sized version Mein Kampf/Rules for Radicals.

No facts, no evidence, no logic ... NOTHING ... can belay that belief and there's absolutely no apparent moment of cognitive dissonance ... oh wait, that a hoity-toity elitist term that I can't use.

My bad.

In like manner, the OP and the 'winger posters here came riding in like a posse chasing a simple "get out the vote" letter in a style that BOTH parties have used for years, utilizing a marketing method ("what will your neighbors think?") that has been used since the 1890s at least, and because Rush Limbaugh pontificated on it a few days ago (which started the Whisper down Wingnut Valley) it's a totally new concept that the Bolsheviks-I-mean-Democrats have newly invented in their Chicago-Mafioso-Black Pantherized crime lab.

It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

For real? You are the second person on this thread to use this cheap shot! Too funny. Actually maybe even the third, as Sheeps implied it in a more indirect manner.

It wasn't an accident

Honestly Threeeyes - if there is a subtext to this whole Liberals-Threaten-Their-Own-Kind liberal bashing thread - it's accidental on the part of the OP - but it's still obvious to the rest of us

Y'all either accidentally reinterpret or omit words that are there for all to see - or you do it on purpose. Either way - both reading and comprehension are part of the deal

Cheap shot? If the shoe fits...
edit on 11/1/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
They're putting it in your face that they're IN YOUR FACE, YOUR SPACE, THEY HAVE EYES ALL AROUND. It might not be threatening but it's offensive.

Offensive is in the eyes of the beholder. I wasn't offended by the Dem or GOP letters to their voters.

People are sick of being watched every move they make.

If I had signed up for a political party, I would know that I was signing up to be monitored. I don't want to be watched any more than the next guy, but if I sign up for it... it wouldn't make sense to be offended, threatened, upset or pissed.

It would piss me off if I got that letter, wouldn't it you?

Well, firstly, I wouldn't read it. I don't read junk mail and if I read it, I would probably laugh. But no, I wouldn't be pissed. Life's too short to be pissed at something so innocuous.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

So now you are picking and choosing what to address and not taking it in it's entire context?

No, I was choosing a particular part of a hit piece on GOP to focus on. It was ALL about Republicans with a little bitty ditty on how liberals do it too. But you know very well ThinkProgress is a Democrat Progressive run journal, funded by George Soros' Tides Center, and they are going to be biased. You know it and yet you are trying to pretend that it's not.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Of course, now it's time to play the victim ...

DId I suggest that you stop posting on any topic you wish to at ATS? No.

Did I suggest that you spare the readers of ATS exposure to your great political wisdom? No.

Did I suggest limiting your free speech in any way? No. (By the way, I'm not the Government.)

You suggested that you're interacting with me trying to change my mind about something. I suggested in return that if that is your reasoning behind your asinine replies to my posts, that you save everyone's time and leave me out of it and ignore my posts.

But of course, you try to turn that around into some kind of threat against you, Limbaugh, and the American Way.

I guess we're fortunate that you can't embed soundtracks into your posts, as I'm sure we would all be sick to death of "My Country 'Tis of Thee" by now if you could.

Puh-leeze.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

ThinkProgress is Liberal and funded by George Soros. And yes, they're biased. So, what's the point? I don't see sheepslayer arguing with any of that.

But in this piece about the GOP, they did mention that both sides do it.

Now... what is your gripe?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

No, I guess it wasn't an accident because it is a typical response, no matter the issue. From a campaigning standpoint, I have seen specific instances where Republicans don't go vote because they believe it won't make a difference. I can see that is the strategy behind the fb page. It's not a veiled threat that something bad is going to happen to them(like they are going to lose their job, like the Harrah's example I posted, or like the unions something else bad will happen).
The fb page really is more general, not like the specific targeting of people at their homes with letters.
Usually letters which come from Republicans have to do more with specific issues, and have to do more with can you help fight this specific issue by donating or filling out a petition or something like that. They know they are talking to voters who are registered already as Republican, who already filled out petitions for this or that, or to people who signed up for newsletters.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Siwwy BH, you should know that George Soros is not allowed to spend HIS money as HE sees fit; his money is NOT free speech.

Because, because, ... because ... uh ... COMMUNISTALINKSYNANNYSTATESPECIALRIGHTSFREEDOMLIBERTY!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join