It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden Has A Sub That's So Deadly The US Navy Hired It To Play Bad Guy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: AlaskanDad

AIP boats give everyone fits. Diesel electric has always been notoriously hard to even find, let alone track, and AIP boats make that even harder. Get into shallow water, where sonar doesn't work well, and they're almost impossible to find.

I knew a RN Nuclear sub officer from the cold war. Would not talk much obviously but one thing he did say was nuclear subs are noisy beasts compared to the diesel subs.

I hear the new Astute class is petty quiet though.
edit on 28-10-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Not just a Deisel-electric sub but also:

Stirling engine

A Stirling engine is a heat engine that operates by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas (the working fluid) at different temperatures, such that there is a net conversion of heat energy to mechanical work. More specifically, a closed-cycle regenerative heat engine with a permanently gaseous working fluid. Closed-cycle, in this context, means a thermodynamic system in which the working fluid is permanently contained within the system, and regenerative describes the use of a specific type of internal heat exchanger and thermal store, known as the regenerator. The inclusion of a regenerator differentiates the Stirling engine from other closed cycle hot air engines.

en.wikipedia.org...

From OP:

These generators are run by a pair of diesel and liquid oxygen fueled Stirling Engines. The result of this unique, yet remarkably simple system is two weeks of submerged air independent propulsion while traveling at about 6mph

edit on 28-10-2014 by AlaskanDad because: Added quote from OP

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The Astute and Virginia are about as quiet as you can get a nuke boat. They'll never be in the same class as a diesel, but they're quieter than anything else out there.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

A sub guy.....

So.. what's with the bloop.

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51

The Swedes are in Sweden, the opposite end of Europe....and build subs.

Yes, and their Navy is worthless ... their aeroplanes are worthless, and their subs are worthless ...

And all that can be said about this discussion is, nonsense ...

I don't tell you, what I know or can ... I don't advertise it, or let my friends or enemies in on it.

I use it to kill you, if the time comes ... not give you advance knowledge.

War, isn't a pissing contest ...

edit on 28/10/2014 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

You are full of a lot of hate arnt you? Is there any country you do like?

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I live in Sweden, and from all the news here i can say that i think all of this is bull..
Sweden have fallen in control in same hands of the same idiots that see Russia as a threat
to there agenda.

There is no submarine in Sweden. There is no one that have seen it and can prove it.
Bull..

posted on Oct, 28 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
They say that these ancient machines are the peak of the technology, but we all know that there are under water USO's that can do super sonic speeds. I really think that we are responsible for these high voltage craft in the USA. Well not all, but at least some. There's got to be a better way after a hundreds years of electric subs, to travel in the water, right? Like we really think the billion dollar subs using a propulsion system from 100 years ago are the peak of technology....no way man. If we have techies in jpl saying that "Mars rovers spirit and opportunity were communicating FTL" and proving that they were telling the truth come forward, then I can definitely imagine we have other quantum tech that can speed around the deep silently.

If you want more info on the FTL Mars guy just search it and he had a blog online I found, along with multiple ppl verifying the extremely compleat code, systems and measures implemented to find and hide his observing of it.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: crazyewok

The Astute and Virginia are about as quiet as you can get a nuke boat. They'll never be in the same class as a diesel, but they're quieter than anything else out there.

The US Navy has already tried Nuclear Propulsion turning a turbine generator...which in turn... turned a large electric main engine.

en.wikipedia.org...(SSN-597)

en.wikipedia.org...(SSN-685)

This is called turbo electric transmission.

Think this kind of thing through very very very carefully.

As to hiring the Swedish boat....why do you think the US Military was so eager to salvage that Japanese Zero found on the Aleutian Island during WW2 and also to find out the data on the Mig 21 which flew to Israel..in the 1960s from Iraq. Also the Mig 25 which the defecting Russian flew into Western possession? Think it through carefully.

To whom is Sweden and Germany selling this type of boat??? AIP??

Orangetom
edit on 8-11-2014 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

And yes, Australian modern conventional subs have sank US navy vessels many times in navy exercises....

The US Navy still cant work it out

You guys are dreaming here..right???

Do you have any idea how many Australian Collins class boats had problems in their development?? Who came to their aid in solving many of those problems?? They are using the MK 48 torpedo..who do you think made the system upgrades and modifications for them??
Do you think for one minute that the signature and system characteristics of the Australian Collins class boats, the modern Australian Submarines, is not known to the US Navy??

Come on guys...think here.

From Wiki

en.wikipedia.org...

The Collins class Australian Submarine is a variation of the Swedish type boats.

en.wikipedia.org...

I've heard some of these stories about the Collins class boats and their development and teething problems from the engineers on the 688 programs as well as the Virginia class programs. These stories are known in the trades.

Orangetom

posted on Nov, 9 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I feel that whole drama was just an attempt to make Sweden to join Nato.
They played once again the Russia card.

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

Well that is subjective isn't it?
I mean really, do you allow uninvited strangers in your
backyard, or bedroom.

C'mon Now.

Whoops, I may have responded to the wrong reply.
If so, please accept my apologies and all.
edit on 26-11-2014 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   

wow... interesting thread considering the news reports of a foreign submarine entering their waters last month.

perhaps it is nothing more than an 'irony'

posted on Nov, 26 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

sorry to post twice in a row but just wondering why does the 'US have to use it to play the bad guy?'

The title confuses me. I read the article but can't see the connection.

cheers

edit to add: I have just seen some other info and would not be surprised if Sweden and the USA did have some kind of arrangement against Russia.

edit on CST05000000Wed, 26 Nov 2014 05:23:46 -06002346am329 by Thurisaz because: add

top topics

<< 1   >>

join