It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vaedur

I know, eh? After the viewing the video in the above post, it's easy for people to make a mistake. Bear in mind there was active construction on parliament hill which caused some people to dismiss the gunshots as construction work, so the opposite is also possible. Lots of people running everywhere and when I first viewed the video it looked to me that more than one person was wearing such a scarf leaving me to wait for the police to comment about it until the view from another camera clarified the situation.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
It had to be a Muslim, When the wife got home from work she asked me straight off if I heard the news? Yep I said and I betcha it's those crazy Muslim's again.
We exchanged a look of agreement, right there and then we both new this was going to be a farce.
To those non- Canadian reading this thread there has been major and I mean major opposition to our sending even a firecracker over there.(which by the way is all we can afford)

The headline on today's paper reads " Today Canada Changed!" According to an MP whom was very close to the gunfire and who also is our local Mp.

Gee Wally, I wonder what the headline would have proclaimed if the culprit was Italian/British/American/Canadian/Australian/German/etc.....without any supposed affiliation with Islam?

I dunno Beave go ask dad....

Regards, Iwinder

ETA S&F to the OP and all posters as well for being civil in an emotionally charged thread.

edit on 23-10-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hey guys, Not sure if anyone posted this but they've released surveillance footage of the shooting.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kram09
What a sad time.

No doubt the Canadian government will bring in severe legislation which will only end up restricting the freedoms of ordinary Canadians.

Was this attack terrorism? Seems to me to be the work of a deranged lunatic as opposed to an act of terrorism.

Was there any statement or reasoning left by the perpetrator of this attack? The guy was a Muslim convert which many people are just taking as granted that that means he's a terrorist.

I have to say I've always considered Canadians to be welcoming, tolerant, thoughtful people. I just hope they don't give way to those who call for hysteria, paranoia and knee jerk reactions.

Not that ISIS has anything to do with this but even so, this attack came (like such things usually do) after the Canadian government said they would join the in the fight against ISIS.

New legislation was supposed to be tabled yesterday, but events took over. However, I think it's fair to say we are all being vigilant for further erosion of our rights.

A police news conference revealed that he was not on a terror watch list. However it was revealed that they found the shooter's email address on the hard drive of an accused terrorist, so that follow-up will prove to be interesting as they develop more protocols in how to deal with returned jihadists and radicalized converts. It's a problem all countries are having to deal with, so the future might prove interesting in that respect.

Yea, I'm one of those people who think that the ME is not our dogfight. Not happy about our involvement there, but other than posting here, I've had no say in the matter.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
The Hamilton Muslim community (or is it Ottawa?) will lay a wreath to honor the slain soldier CPL Nathan Cirillo this afternoon and issue a statement.

Here is the statement: Open Letter from Muslims of Ottawa-Gatineau

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

My friend in Canada called me today about this. She was shocked suddenly into realizing that Canada is not immune to terrorism. She said that today they said it was a terrorist act. I was not shocked or surprised.

Americans have been dealing with this for some time and now the time has come to maybe perhaps think that Americans have not been overreacting. This is exactly why young people cannot think that they should join jihadist groups. When you follow a group that insists on you giving up yourself and everything about the country that has taken care of you for you to think you should attack it, that's ideology that cannot be overlooked nor accepted.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MuldersGirl

Thank you for posting the link. It's a good letter and one which invites dialogue. Perhaps with them together, we can all move forward towards solving this radicalization process. I know of the mother out west who was so desperate that she flew to France to talk to another mother in the hope of finding some answers. I doubt if people alone and on their own can find any constructive answers, but they could give useful information in gathering a database of facts that may have been overlooked. I'm getting the impression that there is an isolation factor in some, a need for some kind of recognition/finding importance in others, and a searching for a venue to express an inner anger in yet others. Of course this would address the why of it all, not the how.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MuldersGirl

It makes no difference if few educated and mild mannered muslims, exposed to world affairs lay a gentle statement.

Bottomline is to control the conversion of regular civilians into jihadi fighters. I have much expectations from the Canadian government that it will be able to come up with measures that prove effective and long lasting.

Unlike the US, Canada will not go around attacking countries or messing around in wrong secular countries but at the same winking at those (allies like Saudi, Kuwait etc.) who are actually funding the terror networks and financing the weapons supply to AQ and ISIL.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This is so heart breaking. Nathan was my sisters ex-boyfriend and from what she told me about him he was an amazing guy and a great father. You will be remembered forever, RIP.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Vaedur

I'm not sure why they kept reporting more gunmen. The RCMP and Ottawa Police weren't saying that in their interviews. They said they weren't sure. The news was reporting every rumour called in before checking with the police. First they were reporting shots inside a mall. When they contacted someone from the mall she said no there were no shots in the mall. Trying to report too fast and get the ratings is my guess. The police were following leads and none of the leads panned out into being anything. It happens. People get hysterical.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

This is such a new phenomenon to all of us that imo, the only thing we all have pretty much done is to say "duh, what?"

Young people see things with different colored glasses and rebuff possible outcomes that do not fit into their particular agendas.

However, isn't it time we all began to address the issue in a constructive way??

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jaffo
Lol..you would be wrong. Why bother posting if your not going to read any of it first?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: andrew778

Please accept my condolences and convey them to your sister. This is indeed a tragedy. It sounds like he made quite an impression on people.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

Allow me to disagree with part of what you said, the part about making no difference. There are muslims out there who are speaking out such as Tarik Aziz and we can encourage them to dialogue with him for instance. Some are shy and insecure in their new country, and it would be useful for them to form new and enlarged community alliances.

Laws are important, but all facets of this problem are. Look at alcohol and how MADD has tried to fight against drunk driving while lawyers find ever increasing ways to get around the laws. This problem is quite complex too but do you think that laws and bombs alone will solve it?

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

No offense but was your friend born yesterday? Just in the last 2 decades we have had numerous terrorist attacks and plots. Air India and the 2006 plot in Ontario by radical Muslims are probably the most well-known, but there have been many more.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: InvisibleOwl

Of course you're correct, but all the drama yesterday finally commanded the attention of those who may not have been paying attention before.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Fair enough. That is a good point. It is the first time in a while that actions were actually carried out without anyone knowing it would happen.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

There are muslims out there who are speaking out such as Tarik Aziz and we can encourage them to dialogue with him for instance. Some are shy and insecure in their new country, and it would be useful for them to form new and enlarged community alliances.

Internal dialogue in the muslim communities will help by alot. That would stop the brainwashing or atleast counter it.

In the west atleast, no one is stopping them from becoming a "good muslim" in their lives and societies and follow their religion with peace. However, if they are mind fed that becoming an "attack jihadist" is being a good muslim, then there is the main problem.

Community dialogue will have to disown such logics and arguments in a "very sincere" manner.

There are millions of muslims around the world living on $1 a day or less. Wonder if it would be better for these "martyr wannabee's" to send $100 a month to such poor muslim families rather than spending thousands to travel to ME and become a part of a terror network and bring bad name to their religion and people.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: InvisibleOwl
The October crisis in 70 starring the F.L.Q.(Quebec seperatists) was probably the biggest, many bombings, some politicians were kidnapped and 1 murdered, in term of reaction the govt pretty much declared martial law.
here is a link
www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca...

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I would like to add one I took in 2010 of the memorial. I thought I had lost it but I managed to find it buried deep in my comp.
I find it especially poignant now.

new topics

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39 >>

join