It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific Study Reveals Conspiracy Theorists The Most Sane Of All!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yes! Finally! I have been proven sane after all!

If you’re a conspiracy theorist, then you’re crazy, right? That’s been the common belief for years, but recent studies prove that just the opposite is true.

Researchers — psychologists and social scientists, mostly — in the U.S. and United Kingdom say data indicate that, contrary to those mainstream media stereotypes, “conspiracy theorists” appear to be more sane than people who accept official versions of controversial and contested events.

And this was my favorite part of the article:

Also, it seems that those who do not believe in the conspiracies were not just hostile but fanatically attached to their own conspiracy theories as well. The researchers said that, according to the anti-conspiracy holders, their own theory of 9/11 — one which says 19 Muslims, none of whom could fly commercial airliners with any proficiency, pulled off an amazing surprise attack under the direction of a man on dialysis (Osama bin Laden) who was living in a cave somewhere in Afghanistan — is unwaveringly true.

Meanwhile, “conspiracists,” on the other hand, did not have to pretend to have a theory that completely explained the events of 9/11. “For people who think 9/11 was a government conspiracy, the focus is not on promoting a specific rival theory, but in trying to debunk the official account,” the researchers said.

(forgot the LINK)

Thoughts?

OG
edit on 10-15-2014 by OrionsGem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

edit on 1520141020141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
What a bummer. Now they are saying that I am sane? I don't want to be considered normal, that is so boring.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The governments have been trying for decades to put down anyone that can think and so has big business.

In times past, a group of named scientists, would be credited with a new invention or product. Now all we are told is that a corporation did it. Governments are much the same.

These two groups do not want the sheeple listening to the wise.

Consider that in the past, intelligent children were called book worms and other such descriptive names and now they are referred to as Nerds.

Silencing the thoughtful is a government operation, has been for some time.

P

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I automatically suspect anything from Natural News..heck, they think Food babe knows what she's talking about...

link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
What a bummer. Now they are saying that I am sane? I don't want to be considered normal, that is so boring.

You will still be looked upon as conspiracy theorist by those who are not. Nothing will change.

link   

originally posted by: Domo1
Link

It's from Natural News so I immediately distrust but will read it when I have time.

Nope, that is not where I found this article. I have updated the OP with a proper link.

Not sure why you bring up natural news, as this is not where the OP was taken from, also here is a link to the latest official study done on conspiracy theorists:www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

OG
edit on 10-15-2014 by OrionsGem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Here is the actual study in reference:

Link
edit on 15-10-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Here is the actual study in reference:

Link

Thanks! Its very easy to derail a thread by assuming

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Who would have thought that people who think critically with a desire to see the truth would be more sane than people who blindly believe what they are told by the media? That being a media in which 90% of those sources are controlled by 6 corporations? No chance there is a collaboration to fit an agenda there right?

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I'm telling you it's a conspiracy. They are trying to make us appear normal. This is a plot by TPTB. I haven't got all the details worked out yet but it fits the pattern!

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I don't know about this source but the claim seems to make sense. You have to be bat crazy to believe anything the government does without asking questions and you cant ask questions without forming any kind of opinion which is more than indoctrinated can bare.

If individuals were alowed to form their own opinions, there would be no multi national corporations tuning hundreds of millions onto the the same fads, fashions and debts.
edit on 15-10-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OrionsGem

Surely you're not talking about my link? No assumption. It is the study referenced.

The words are taken out of context, in order to convey a message not given in the actual study.

In other words, this is sensationalism, and not journalism.

The actual study makes no conclusion that conspiracy theorists are more sane, or thinking more critically.

It talks of their locus of control being externalized, and their belief system having to do with their flavor of conspiracy theories they tend to favor.
edit on 15-10-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Surely you're not talking about my link? No assumption. It is the study referenced.

The words are taken out of context, in order to convey a message not given in the actual study.

The actual study says nothing of conspiracy theorists

No not at all, I was saying thanks for posting the actual study, since another poster decided to assume the story originated from an untrustworthy news site, which could have potentially derailed this thread.

Star for you!

OG

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

The actual study makes no conclusion that conspiracy theorists are more sane, or thinking more critically.

It talks of their locus of control being externalized, and their belief system having to do with their flavor of conspiracy theories they tend to favor.

Your joking right? Did you actually read the study that you yourself linked? All it talks about is conspiracies and conspiracy theorists..

Here ya go:

Although the psychological literature on conspiracy belief has a relatively short history, with most of the relevant research having been conducted only within the past twenty years, it has revealed a great deal regarding individual differences between those who generally believe conspiracy theories (whom we call “conspiracists”) and those who prefer conventional explanations (whom we call “conventionalists”).

An opportunity to test this idea presents itself in the form of observation of online discourse. In spite of, or perhaps because of, the lack of mainstream public acceptance for their theories, many conspiracists, both prominent and otherwise, appear to see themselves as having a duty to spread their views to the public at large.

LINK

Thanks

OG

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

So a study was conducted on comments made on online news stories.

Pretty unreliable way to carry out a test if you ask me.

Perhaps what this really is, is a test of confirmation bias..conduct a study with an unreliable, biased method and state that conspiracy theorists are sane. Publish and watch how many cling to it despite having no real scientific validity

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

You seem to be having difficulties understanding ... something or another. I'm not sure where the disconnection lies. What you wrote in no way discredits what I've posted.

I stand by my statement that the study in no way concludes that conspiracy theorists are more sane, or thinking more critically.

*sigh*

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Sure it does. Conspiracist think in broad enough terms to know that swallowing the "Official Story" isn't prudent given the blatantly obvious misinformation that make up those official stories.

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Yep. I believe this. Reminds me of how Terrance McKenna said that the only way to avoid becoming indoctrinated in the mass cultural illusion was to be the final arbiter. Blindly following imo is insanity--or it can lead to insanity when one follows a system that is ultimately damaging. Can't wait to read the study more in-depth. Cool post, man!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join