It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola, exposing government lies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+59 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This will be a multi-part OP, so please bear with me and hold off on responding until I have all parts posted.

[snipped] I have compiled this thread summarizing excerpts from Ebola research by recognized authorities on the subject across the world and in most cases, my sources are also noted as benchmark institutions specifically in dealing with Ebola.

Anyone familiar with my posts will recognize a lot of this information. For anyone new to the topic, this thread may provide answers and suggest further avenues for discussion and research.

[snipped]
First off, let's start with the CDC/White House infographic:

Let's go point by point:

Get the facts on Ebola

A fact (derived from the Latin factum, see below) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case.

Wiki

So we will be given accurate and reliable information upon which to base decisions made regarding this important health concern, correct?

You can't catch Ebola through air

This is referring Ebola not being classified as an airborne disease, which is technically correct; the virus lacks a capsid sheath (as far as is known) which would protect it outside from attack by oxygen and UV rays. It does deteriorate rather quickly when acted upon by either of these. Bleach will also kill and deactivate the virus.

That being said, there is another vector of transmission which, to John Q Public, has all the appearances and characteristics of airborne transmission; aerosol transmission:

Aerosol transmission has been defined as person-to-person transmission of pathogens through the air by means of inhalation of infectious particles. Particles up to 100 μm in size are considered inhalable (inspirable). These aerosolized particles are small enough to be inhaled into the oronasopharynx, with the smaller, respirable size ranges (eg, < 10 μm) penetrating deeper into the trachea and lung (Figure).

The virus ranges in size from 80-100 nanometers, which is a couple of orders of magnitude smaller than the size listed as the upper limit of a repairable particle.

Can Ebola even be transmitted in this manner?

Here we show ZEBOV transmission from pigs to cynomolgus macaques without direct contact. Interestingly, transmission between macaques in similar housing conditions was never observed.

Transmission of Ebola virus from pigs to non-human primates

This is the study almost universally referenced.by those claiming Ebola to be airborne, so the answer would seem to be yes it is possible for Ebola to transmit via aerosol; however, one must keep in mind that Ebola in pigs is indeed a respiratory ailment whereas that is not the case for primates so the likelihood is extremely low or it is to be considered extremely inefficient at this mode of transfer.

There are other researchers whom have reached similar conclusions:

Infection, although occurring indirectly through body fluids, is strongly suspected to occur through airborne as well as skin contact transmission.

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever (EHF): Mechanism of Transmission and Pathogenicity

I know, I know by even mentioning the word, I just opened up a whole case of canned worms and doomed the thread to pages of "is too! ""Is not!"

All I can do is ask forgiveness.

Next point:

You can't catch Ebola through water

Because of Ebola’s fragility when separated from its host, bodily fluids flushed by an infected person would not contaminate the water supply. Researchers believe Ebola survives in water for only a matter of minutes. This is because water does not provide the same environment as our bodily fluids, which have higher salt concentrations. Once in water, the host cell will take in water in an attempt to equalize the osmotic pressure, causing the cells to swell and burst, thus killing the virus.

Ebola Information Released for Water and Wastewater Utilities

So, this would seem to be an unambiguous and true fact.

Next point:

You can't catch Ebola through food in the U.S.

We found EBOV to be shed in a wide variety of bodily fluids during the acute phase of illness, including saliva, breast milk, stool, and tears. In most cases, the infected bodily fluid was not visibly contaminated by blood. Of particular concern is the frequent presence of EBOV in saliva early during the course of disease, where it could be transmitted to others through intimate contact and from sharing food, especially given the custom, in many parts of Africa, of eating with the hands from a common plate.

Assessment of the Risk of Ebola Virus Transmission from Bodily Fluids and Fomites

This seems to be in direct contradiction to the infographic.

Does the graphic take in to account that food sharing is not as prevalent in the U.S., as it is elsewhere, or are they trying to give the impression that you simply can NOT get Ebola through food as long as you are in the United States?

Credulity is stretched to breaking if that is the assertion.

Ebola can only spread from contact with the blood or body fluids of a person or animal who is sick with or has died from Ebola.

The above sentence, along with the public statements and assurances of the CDC would have us believe that Ebola is extremely difficult to contract to the point where these authorities would have us think that a person would have to try and actively contract the disease in order to become infected.

continued next post
edit on Tue Oct 14 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Oct 14 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Community Announcement re: Decorum

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
continuing jadedANDcynical

Direct contact is NOT the only means of transmission it most certainly CAN be transmitted by indirect contact: 

Overall, Ebola virus socio-ecology systems have shown to be linked by direct and indirect transmission through contact with objects from patients. For example, the blood or secretions of an infected person or objects that have been contaminated with infected secretions can reach humans from a variety of hosts/sources

Need of surveillance response systems to combat Ebola outbreaks and other emerging infectious diseases in African countries

And

However, regarding IPC measures to be implemented during interviews for contact tracing and case finding in the community, the following principles should be kept in mind: 1) shaking hands should be avoided; 2) a distance of more than one metre (about 3 feet) should be maintained between interviewer and interviewee;3) PPE is not required if this distance is assured and when interviewing asymptomatic individuals (e.g., neither fever, nor diarrhoea, bleeding or vomiting) and provided there will be no contact with the environment, potentially contaminated with a possible/probable case;

Interim Infection Prevention and Control Guidance for Care of Patients with Suspected or Confirmed Filovirus Haemorrhagic Fever in Health-Care Settings, with Focus on Ebola
August 2014

And

Nineteen patients appeared to have been exposed while visiting someone with suspected EHF, although they did not provide care. Fourteen of the 19 reported touching the patient with suspected EHF; 5 reported that they had no physical contact. Although close contact while caring for an infected person was probably the major route of transmission in this and previous EHF outbreaks, the virus may have been transmitted by touch, droplet, airborne particle, or fomite; thus, expansion of the use of barrier techniques to include casual contacts might prevent or mitigate future epidemics.

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995: Risk Factors for Patients without a Reported Exposure

I would say that the direct contact argument is mooted by the several linked documents above.

edit on 14-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed tag

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

continuing

Finally we have:

America has the best doctors and public health infrastructure in the world and we are prepared to respond.

The above statement is completely subjective and demonstrably false when one considers the details of how our "public health infrastructure" has handled the first confirmed case of Ebola in our country and the fact that a nurse who followed the protocols set forth by the same authority which published the referenced graphic has also contracted the disease.

Are we really fully prepared to respond?

A survey by National Nurses United of some 400 nurses in more than 200 hospitals in 25 states found that more than half (60 percent) said their hospital is not prepared to handle patients with Ebola, and more than 80 percent said their hospital has not communicated to them any policy regarding potential admission of patients infected by Ebola.

US Nurses: We can't handle Ebola!

And

Thirty-six percent say their hospitals do not have sufficient supplies — including face shields and fluid-resistant gowns — to care for an Ebola patient, according the report by National Nurses United, which surveyed more than 1,900 nurses in more than 750 facilities in 46 states.

National Nurses United says most hospitals are not prepared for Ebola

According to this professional organization, we are not ready in any shape or form for a large outbreak; I tend to agree with them as we seem to be having trouble containing an outbreak of one.

I would say, "not enough!"

One other question I have seen posed include the ability of mosquitos to transmit the disease:

The susceptibility to infection of arthropod taxa can be assessed by virus replication after intrathoracic inoculation of virus. Turell et al. [8] reported that EBO virus, subtype Reston (EBO-R), failed to replicate in Culex or Aedes mosquitoes and in Ornithodoros ticks.However, Kunz et al. [9] previously reported that MBG virus could persist in Aedes mosquitoes for 3 weeks or more, indicating that certain arthropods exposed towasp.Altho the virus could be transient or persistent carriers of infection.

Many potential blood-feeding arthropod vectors (phlebotomine flies, culicoids, ixodid ticks, mites, fleas, and wingless flies associated with bats) have not been tested by experimental inoculation.The susceptibility of insects used by humans or wild vertebrate reservoir hosts as a source of food (including termites, moths, and larvae [grubs]) also has not been explored. As will be discussed below, there has been recent speculation about the possible role of leafhoppers in filovirus ecology; therefore, experimental studies should determine the host range of EBO virus for plant-feeding bugs.

So mixed results of very incomplete studies. All subtypes need to be tested against all possible vectors present within the potentially affected area(s).

Geographic distribution
At least 4 genetic subtypes of EBO virus have been recognized: Zaire (EBO-Z), Côte d'Ivoire (EBO-CI) [34], Sudan (EBO-S) [35], and EBO-R. EBO-R was recovered in the Philippines [36] and from monkeys imported from the Philippines to the United States and Europe.

The occurrence of a distinct EBO virus subtype in the Philippines has important implications for filovirus ecology, since it implies that EBO group viruses may have been carried by migratory hosts at some point in their evolution.

Ecology of Marburg and Ebola Viruses: Speculations and Directions for Future Research

There are other animal hosts as well, it is respiratory in pigs, as previously mentioned, but it is asymtpomatic in dogs; meaning, unless you run tests, you would never know fido had just sniffed ebola-butt that had sampled ebola vomit from a sidewalk...

Although dogs are susceptible to Ebola, the CDC concluded that "infected dogs are asymptomatic", meaning that they do not develop symptoms. During the early phase of their infection, however, they can spread the disease to humans and other animals through licking, biting, urine, and feces. However, the good news is that once the virus is cleared from the dog it is no longer contagious. Dogs do not die from Ebola infections.

source

Speaking of asymptomatic, there has also been debate in various threads of exactly when it is a person becomes infectious.

Dogma says that you are only contagious once symptoms appear, fever being the primary indicator tha the CDC s pushing presently.

Yet the largest study of the current outbreak found that in nearly 13% of "confirmed and probable" cases in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea and elsewhere, those infected did not have fevers.

The study, sponsored by the World Health Organization and published online late last month by the New England Journal of Medicine, analyzed data on 3,343 confirmed and 667 probable cases of Ebola.

Ebola research: Fever not a surefire sign of infection

Continued in next post
edit on 14-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

continuing

The study referenced is in ikonoklast's excellent post:

originally posted by: ikonoklast
We've been hearing lots of things from health authorities along the lines of someone not being tested for Ebola and instead being sent home because they did not have certain symptoms of Ebola and therefore Ebola was ruled out.

I think this is dangerous! It can result in people being sent home with Ebola because they didn't have some common symptom, and that can result in an epidemic spreading.

I saw this table of symptoms in the New England Journal of Medicine and thought it was worth repeating. This was published by the WHO Ebola Response Team and the percentages are from the current outbreak in Africa. I did flip all of the percentages except for one from what percentage of people do have a certain symptom to what percentage don't. I think it makes it more obvious how many cases might be missed because someone doesn't have a particular symptom.

12.9% did not have a fever (11.8% of those who died did not) - About 1 in 8 do NOT have a fever!

23.6% did not feel fatigue (23.6% of those who died did not) - About 1 out of 4 do NOT feel fatigue!

32.4% did not vomit (30.6% of those who died did not) - About 1 out of 3 do NOT vomit!

34.4% did not have diarrhea (31.7% of those who died did not) - Anout 1 out of 3 do NOT have diarrhea!

In addition:

35.5% did not have loss of appetite (36% of those who died did not)

46.6% did not have a headache (46.2% of those who died did not)

55.7% did not have abdominal pain (56.5% of those who died did not)

60.6% did not have joint pain (59.3% of those who died did not

61.1% did not have muscle pain (59.8% of those who died did not)

63.0% did not have chest pain (59.8% of those who died did not

79.2% did not have conjunctivitis (red Ebola eyes) (76.4% of those who died did not)

82.0% did not have unexplained bleeding (79.8% of those who died did not)

92.3% did not have eye pain (91.1% of those who died did not)

This is the one percentage I didn't flip. When someone tells you that Ebola patients do not cough or sneeze so you won't catch it from droplets aerosolized in the air from an Ebola patient coughing, you can now cite this statistic:

29.6% of Ebola patients DO cough. And 32.5% of people who died from Ebola did cough. So about 1 out of 3 cough.

There is much more, including an expanded table of these symptoms here:

SOURCE: NEJM - Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa — The First 9 Months of the Epidemic and Forward Projections

Just exactly what is it we need to watch for when all of the "classic symptoms" do not even present in a substantial percentage of cases?

Hopefully I have answered some common questions and shown how dangerous this.virus is compared to the image being painted by the CDC and government about this situation.

Have at it, ATS!

edit on 14-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Yep. You're my go to guy for Ebola. Great research. It's looking like you have 'em in your sights.

edit on 14-10-2014 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

continuing

Finally we have:

America has the best doctors and public health infrastructure in the world and we are prepared to respond.

The above statement is completely subjective and demonstrably false when one considers the details of how our "public health infrastructure" has handled the first confirmed case of Ebola in our country and the fact that a nurse who followed the protocols set forth by the same authority which published the referenced graphic has also contracted the disease.

Are we really fully prepared to respond?

Yeah, I had to vomit a little in my mouth, too. How pretentious! Ask yourself what kind of mindset is needed for this statement! The best doctors in the world? Really...
edit on 14-10-2014 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Wow...thanks so much for taking the time to lay this out for us like you did
I would 'applaud' you if I could but will have to settle for a F&S

There is so much conflicting info on Ebola as you well pointed out

And the part about many Ebola patients NOT having temps kinda defeats the purpose of airlines checking peoples temperatures to see if they are normal or not to fly on their airline coming from Africa

Need to finish reading through all your material, just would like to say thanks again for posting this

edit on 14-10-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
And speaking of airlines, here's a great lie too...

Should all air travel out of the affected region be banned?

While some members of Congress have called for a complete ban, officials in the health care field say that would be counterproductive. Flights from the three international airports in the hot zone have already slowed to a trickle, Gendreau says. “Travel is really down, but if you shut it down completely, the people who need to be there [to fight the disease] can’t get in." Above all, the public needs to keep this in context, he says. The Ebola outbreak “has been going on since March and flights weren’t curtailed until more than five months later. “You have had half a year of this and you can count on your hands the people who have gotten it outside of West Africa,” he says. [Source]

If emergency personnel need to get in and out fly them in on special or military planes. I swear they think we're stupid.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Great thread OP!

The CIDRAP article on the airborne potential of Ebola is the best I have seen so far:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm fairly sure there are no mosquito vectors at this point, or the disease would be already more widespread, isn't human transmission and mosquito transmission mutually exclusive? I have never seen any disease that is contagious and can be spread by mosquitos.

edit on 14-10-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: grammar, syntax and context

edit on 14-10-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: duh

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Ever since I saw that Sky News report on the death squads in liberia, the ones taking away the dead ebola victims, proves that you can be safe and take precautions. The same people have been successfully removing dead bodies for 4 months now, at least in this group, no one had died, because they are very careful about dousing everything with bleach. The nurse in Dallas didn't follow a bleach protocol, so was likely infected in the removal of contaminated equipment and clothing. Basically you need a hazmat suit so you can decontaminate with bleach, and she didn't have that, they couldn't just spray down her clothing with bleach water.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Thanks OP s&f

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE
Great thread OP!

The CIDRAP article on the airborne potential of Ebola is the best I have seen so far:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm fairly sure there are no mosquito vectors at this point, or the disease would be already more widespread, isn't human transmission and mosquito transmission mutually exclusive? I have never seen any disease that is contagious and can be spread by mosquitos.

Was going to add about that article, good for the thread on it

We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks.
-ZH/CIDRAP

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Appreciate all of your hard work so much. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Excellent work at putting these facts together on one thread.
This is useful. I hope these facts spread through the general public.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

This part of your Op is extremely important IMO... So the newly announced fever detection at some of our International airports may not be as effective as they advertise and want us to believe.

Also I do not have confidence that the medical care and system in the United States is the best in the world because I am old and seen to many friends die or become messed up after the great care they received from these so called experts.
My brother is a big wig for a state insurance agency and he will tell you flat out if you want to survive avoid doctors and hospitals... No I am not joking and neither is he.

Isn't the guy in charge of the CDC now the same guy who in NYC fought to ban the super sized drinks ? I guess that makes him a real knowledgeable leader of the CDC......

12.9% did not have a fever (11.8% of those who died did not) - About 1 in 8 do NOT have a fever!

23.6% did not feel fatigue (23.6% of those who died did not) - About 1 out of 4 do NOT feel fatigue!

32.4% did not vomit (30.6% of those who died did not) - About 1 out of 3 do NOT vomit!

34.4% did not have diarrhea (31.7% of those who died did not) - Anout 1 out of 3 do NOT have diarrhea!

In addition:

35.5% did not have loss of appetite (36% of those who died did not)

46.6% did not have a headache (46.2% of those who died did not)

55.7% did not have abdominal pain (56.5% of those who died did not)

60.6% did not have joint pain (59.3% of those who died did not

61.1% did not have muscle pain (59.8% of those who died did not)

63.0% did not have chest pain (59.8% of those who died did not

79.2% did not have conjunctivitis (red Ebola eyes) (76.4% of those who died did not)

82.0% did not have unexplained bleeding (79.8% of those who died did not)

92.3% did not have eye pain (91.1% of those who died did not)

This is the one percentage I didn't flip. When someone tells you that Ebola patients do not cough or sneeze so you won't catch it from droplets aerosolized in the air from an Ebola patient coughing, you can now cite this statistic:

29.6% of Ebola patients DO cough. And 32.5% of people who died from Ebola did cough. So about 1 out of 3 cough.

There is much more, including an expanded table of these symptoms here:

SOURCE: NEJM - Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa — The First 9 Months of the Epidemic and Forward Projections

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Very good thread jadedANDcynical !

Just exactly what is it we need to watch for when all of the "classic symptoms" do not even present in a substantial percentage of cases?

Perhaps they need to use this virus detector technology to detect the Ebola virus on people. The sensor detects frequency changes when a virus lands on its sensor.

It is extremely frustrating that in today's age with all of our "advancements" in technology, we seem so far behind when push comes to shove at a time like right now when it is needed. Where is this handy little virus detector now that it is needed ?

By affixing nanoscale gold spheres onto a microscopic bead of glass, researchers have created a super-sensor that can detect even single samples of the smallest known viruses.

The sensor uses a peculiar behavior of light known as "whispering gallery mode," named after the famous circular gallery in St. Paul's Cathedral in London, where a whisper near the wall can be heard around the gallery.

In a similar way, waves of light are sent whirling around the inside of a small glass bead, resonating at a specific frequency. Just as a small object on a vibrating violin string can change its frequency -- ever so slightly -- so too can a virus landing on the sensor change the resonant frequency of the light. With the initial glass sphere, researchers were able to detect changes in frequency from viruses about the size of influenza, a relatively large virus.

This hybrid sensor not only detected the presence of the MS2 virus -- the current light-weight in the world of RNA viruses -- it also was able to determine the weight of the virus by measuring the precise frequency change of the light.

Virus Detector and Whispering Gallery

leolady

edit on 14-10-2014 by leolady because: fix

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Tqx Op bow i understand about Ebola.. SnF

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
i have some information regarding the food which i find they have overlooked or just dont care.

Table 1. Transport temperature requirements of food products [2]

Chilled products Temperature
(
oC)
Fresh fish (in ice), crustaceans and shellfish (excluding live ones) +2
Cooked dishes and prepared foods, pastry creams, fresh pastries,
sweet dishes and egg products
+3
Meat and cooked meats pre-packaged for consumer use +3
Offal +3
Poultry, rabbit and gane +4
Non-sterilized, untreated, unpasteurised or fermented milk, fresh
cream, cottage cheese and curd
+3
Milk for industrial processing +6
Cooked meats other than those which have been salted, smoked,
dried or sterilized
+6
Frozen Products Temperature
(°C)
Ice and ice cream -25
Deep frozen foods -18
Fishery products -18
Butter and edible fats, including cream to be used for butter making -14
Egg products, offal, rabbit, poultry and game -12
Meat -10

chilled and frozen food vans temperature

so above we can clearly see the teperture our food is mantained.
now if we bring in the fact that ebola thrives in cold temperature as backed up by the following report .

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) Footnote 52 Footnote 61. One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature Footnote 61. In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) Footnote 53. When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days Footnote 61.
ebola temperature survival

so from the above information we can clearly see that at 4 °C ebola survives for over 50 days then i cross referenced this with the previous chart and find that our chilled fresh meats are a ideal extended carrier.

now when we begin to look at the -minus temperatures it gets frightening and includes ice cream,fish,eggs butter etc.

little side note here the public health agency of canada link above used to state also that at -70 °C it will survive indefinitely but they have removed this fact within the last few weeks.so if you take into account this now omitted information -temperatures like ice cream and most frozen foods can extend the life of the ebola virus for months.
im so sorry this information is not mainstream but i guess we know why.

edit on 14-10-2014 by stuthealien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien
Now all we need is a person infected with ebola working at a plant that is packing and shipping frozen/refrigerated foods across the country.
Yay.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Hi, very informative thread. Some good information provided.

It's a shame though that you have attacked a simple infographic and not the full CDC site dedicated to ebola, because what you call lying seems to be well covered by them on their page.

www.cdc.gov...

I liken it to a grown man beating up a child...whatever makes you feel big I guess.

But like I said, good research

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: PlanetXisHERE
I have never seen any disease that is contagious and can be spread by mosquitos.

Malaria, West Nile, Dengue Fever, Yellow fever? Maybe I misunderstood your post?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join