It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola, exposing government lies

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

Only that isn't a scientific paper and it's a economist writing it...

Read the fine print

Disclaimer: This paper contains no evidence (for or against) alternate modes of transmission for Ebola, nor is this paper postulating that genetic changes have impacted EVD clinical presentation.

Then he goes on to make assumptions that it has...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

Only that isn't a scientific paper and it's a economist writing it...

Read the fine print

Disclaimer: This paper contains no evidence (for or against) alternate modes of transmission for Ebola, nor is this paper postulating that genetic changes have impacted EVD clinical presentation.

Then he goes on to make assumptions that it has...

It's like I said, it's an article that cites several papers.
Four of the five are from the National Institute Of Health.

He wrote an article based on 5 papers from medical and scientific sources.
He never claimed to be a scientist or medical doctor.
He has to have the disclaimer there but that doesn't mean the information is invalid.

Of course, you found a reason to ignore the actual information from the NIH so I guess you got what you wanted.
And I got what I wanted.

edit on 22-10-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Right, but those papers do not agree with him. He is cherry picking anecdotes from different papers to try and prove his theory.

One of the papers he uses blatantly says that Ebola has mutated 3-4% but that isn't significant. However he leaves the part about it not being significant out. So he got what he wanted in that people like you bit.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

It's not statistically significant at these levels of infection.
It is seriously significant if the infections increase at the rate expected by the world health organization.
I see it as a serious threat once it mutates and becomes airborne like Ebola Reston. That mutation only has to happen once.
(the differences between Ebola Reston and Ebola Zaire are almost nonexistent and Reston is airborne and infects humans. It's not lethal to humans for some reason)

We can agree to disagree on the applicability of these articles
or not, your choice.

Thanks for reading them though.
Most don't.

There are also some articles on the viral density of recent victims that might be interesting.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Nice info!
This may have been asked but is this simply going to be Obama's and the CDC's new strategy.? Don't test for Ebola because the the political ramifications associated with it, just treat the symptoms and tells us they were not tested. The democrats have elections to deal with and this is ebola factor is being dragged in as it also seems to fall right in line with delaying the employer mandates (Obamacare) and the new EPA restrictions on energy.

Any thoughts? I do not trust the government at all at this point. I would hope that if that is whats going on that eventually or healthcare workers will leak that info but what can be leaked officially if they wont test for the virus???

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: badgerprints
a reply to: raymundoko

It's not statistically significant at these levels of infection.
It is seriously significant if the infections increase at the rate expected by the world health organization.
I see it as a serious threat once it mutates and becomes airborne like Ebola Reston. That mutation only has to happen once.
(the differences between Ebola Reston and Ebola Zaire are almost nonexistent and Reston is airborne and infects humans. It's not lethal to humans for some reason)

We can agree to disagree on the applicability of these articles
or not, your choice.

Thanks for reading them though.
Most don't.

There are also some articles on the viral density of recent victims that might be interesting.

VP35 gene is dysfunctional in humans, lethal in monkeys...

Zaire and Reston strains share same transmission characteristics.

Why do you think the virulence level is so high..

edit on 22-10-2014 by Biotech2024 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-10-2014 by Biotech2024 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I saw this one yesterday on on Breaking News:

Oct 21, 2014, 07:47 PM GMT 1d
Department of Homeland Security says 562 travelers to date have undergone enhanced screening procedures for Ebola at 5 US airports, with none testing positive - @NBCNews

Maybe it isn't quite a lie, since they didn't specify what the test was. But it certainly seems worded to create a false impression. I seriously doubt they could be meaning anything other than asking a couple questions and checking temperatures unless it means no one tested positive because no one was tested.

WHO released an update today, and I've updated the Ebola Charts:

Ebola Charts Updated

On the good news(/I-hope-it's-not-a-lie) front, WHO has declared the Ebola outbreaks in Senegal and Nigeria over, and the nurse in Madrid has had two negative tests so they are starting the 42 day clock in Spain:

Spain will therefore be declared free of EVD 42 days after the date of the second negative test if no new cases are reported.

October 22 update from WHO

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biotech2024

VP35 gene is dysfunctional in humans, lethal in monkeys...

Zaire and Reston strains share same transmission characteristics.

Why do you think the virulence level is so high..

I'm just pecking around the edges of what I understand but I think Zaire has more transmission routes than the official line takes.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I hope I brought this all together to help bring out a little more of what your guy was trying to say in his article. The big idea from all these references below is that as the virus adapts to its new niche it does so with one end goal, maximize their infectivity , or another way to think of it is the best fit for their human host .

Here are a few papers and info I will try and bring together about the mutations and the significance from several science papers and researchers. I think the greatest significance is what they summarize in terms of transmission and diagnostic reliability of current tests. It is very unlikely that the mutations would all of a sudden accumulate into an entire new mode of transmission as that’s not normally seen. The speculation about it becoming airborne like the flu is due to the following reason that the ebola virus contains similar fusion proteins. This mechanisms of membrane fusion is seen in enveloped viruses such as influenza, HIV, or Ebola when they enter their respective host cells. ebola is also very different in many ways, for example, more than one virus particle can enter a host cell.

Science jargon describing these proteins in case you want to look it up further. tammlab.medicine.virginia.edu...
virus outer viral 'fusion proteins' (GP) spikes resemble that of influenza. This is expected as both are believed to be Class I fusion proteins...Both are also homotrimers and undergo pH-dependent conformational change in the late endosome. The interaction of fusion proteins with the endosome is how these viruses 'trick' their way out of the late endosome, which in practice means these viruses pop out of the cellular 'trash can' and into the cytoplasm. (SIB, 2014)
www.operonlabs.com...

IMPORTANT TO THE DESIGN OF THE STUDY AND TO NOTE IS THAT THIS WAS DONE THE FIRST 78 DAYS OF OUTBREAK in Sierra Leone!! Another important fact is that the repeated samples from same patients allowed for looking at the virus when they got infected as well as what it ended up as genetically after reproducing massively in the same patient during the infection. As they said, “clearer view into how the virus can change in a single individual over the course of infection”.
The question that’s hot is what has it done since last March!!
This current rate of mutations may be driven by the fact human to human transmission is resulting in mutations needed for adapting to this new host. Historically, the previous outbreaks have been small and this certainly affects something called antigenic drift. The benefit of a high mutation rate in Ebola 2014 is different -- the genetic changes in Ebola-2014 allow for rapid exploration of the entire fitness landscape in a brand new host -- humans. See infographic on this site ( I dont know how to insert the damn image!!!) www.operonlabs.com.../20.

The problem is that accumulated Ebola mutations will scale with the size of the population infected. Which is why its so important to stop this at its source. ” The idea that the Ebola-2014 Virus jumped species, but is now somehow 'static' or 'frozen in time' is a mistake. The Ebola-2014 virus is undergoing a period of rapid adaptation in human hosts, as evidenced by the Ebola RNA sequences deposited in Genbank, and the studies referenced with this article. Hopefully, interventions (like contact tracing) will be able to stop Ebola-2014 before the virus optimizes its genotype” .

Up to four different Ebola-2014 viral sub-clades (groups of genetically related Ebola isolates) have circulated between humans since the onset of the 2014 Ebola outbreak.
As the number of people affected by the 2014 Ebola outbreak has grown, so has the number of Ebola unique viral mutations and unique viral genetic lineages. We can expect Ebola 2014 viral lineages to grow as some function f(i) proportional to the number of people infected with Ebola.

However, the mutations that are happening are very significant in terms of the infection mechanism of this virus variant as well as in terms of rate that’s never been seen before in previous outbreaks. Ebola Mutation Rate: Analysis of the available research suggests that the Ebola 2014 virus is currently mutating at a rate 200% to 300% higher than historically observed (Gire, 2014). Furthermore, the Ebola-2014 virus's mutation rate of 2.0 x 10−³ subs/site/year is nearly identical to Influenza A's mutation rate of 1.8 x 10−³ subs/site/year (Jenkins, 2002). This means Ebola 2014 is mutating as fast as seasonal flu.

DISCLAIMER to make sure you note and understand exactly what these scientist demonstrate with this research and what they CAN NOT SAY!!
This paper contains no evidence (for or against) alternate modes of transmission for Ebola, nor is this paper postulating that genetic changes have impacted EVD clinical presentation (although evidence for this has started to emerge). This paper is simply demonstrating what appears to be a rapid rate of evolution in the Ebola 2014 Virus. Many recent Ebola viral mutations have been synonymous mutations, some have been in intergenic regions, while others are non-synonymous substitutions in protein-coding regions. All have unknown impact at the present time. Such questions should be the subject of future scientific research. This article simply points out that Ebola in 2014 is undergoing rapid mutation and adaptation. The future implications of Ebola's rapid evolution are unclear.
www.operonlabs.com.../20

Ebola in Zoonotic Reservoir: Viral Genome adapted to Fruit Bats. (Green)
Ebola in Human Hosts: Viral Genome adapted to Humans. (Red)
Ebola Genotype will move Green -> Red during serial passage through Humans.
In response to an ongoing, unprecedented outbreak of Ebola virus disease in West Africa, a team of researchers has rapidly sequenced and analyzed more than 99 Ebola virus genomes. Their findings could have important implications for rapid field diagnostic tests.

References:

[1] Genomic surveillance elucidates Ebola virus origin and transmission during the 2014 outbreak. (Gire et al, 2014).
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

[2] Rates of Molecular Evolution in RNA Viruses: A Quantitative Phylogenetic Analysis. (Jenkins et al, 2002).
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

[3] Isolates of Zaire ebolavirus from wild apes reveal genetic lineage and recombinants. (Wittman et al, 2007).
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...#!po=17.8571

[4] Ebola Recombination: Recombinomics Commentary. (Niman, 2007).
www.recombinomics.com...

[5] Evolutionary Dynamics: Exploring the Equations of Life. (Nowak, 2006).
www.amazon.com...

edit on 22-10-2014 by bella2256 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: bella2256

I hope I brought this all together to help bring out a little more of what your guy was trying to say in his article.

Thank you.
I'm going to read all of that.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This is a very good overview of those fusion proteins and Ebolavirus cycle

viralzone.expasy.org...

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18571895]badgerprints

your welcome!! Sorry its so long !!!
I love to talk about biology so I have to watch myself and not drown everyone when in teacher mode. I do hope it helps.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bella2256
a reply to: [post=18571895]badgerprints

your welcome!! Sorry its so long !!!
I love to talk about biology so I have to watch myself and not drown everyone when in teacher mode. I do hope it helps.

Not too long at all.
I wish I'd gotten more biology education.
I can study it but don't get much done without a medical encyclopedia.
It will take a while to follow all of the links but I'll get it done.

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: bella2256

Thank you for this!

I've read some of these, but not all I think so am lookng forward to digging in to what you've presented.

S &
&

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: bella2256

Excellent,,, thanks for the links and the layman as possible summary.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

You put a lot of time and research into this thread. It is very informational. Jaded your thread is one of the best and most informational thread I have seen on EBOLA. Kudo's to you!

Your thread is quite large so I have lots of reading to catch up. Thank you for the well scripted information! I will enjoy reading your research and findings now.

Uhhh, by the way...maybe you can check in with the New Czar and see if he has done any research or has this information. The new Czar might appreciate it.

edit on 26-10-2014 by RunForTheHills because: n/a

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join