It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Court blocks Texas Voter ID law: Calling it a "Poll Tax"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

WASHINGTON -- A federal judge in Texas struck down the state’s voter ID law on Thursday, calling the measure an “unconstitutional poll tax” that creates “an unconstitutional burden on the right to vote” intended to discriminate against Hispanic and African-American citizens.

In a 147-page opinion, U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos, an appointee of President Barack Obama confirmed to the bench in 2011, ruled that the law passed by Texas legislators and signed by Gov. Rick Perry (R) took an “unorthodox” approach they knew would have a disparate impact on minority voters. The law requires voters to produce government-issued identification before casting a ballot.

Link

Another win for the people to keep their right to vote.

A few hours ago Wisconsin's Voter ID law was also blocked Link

The only problem these laws help to solve is the Republican's problem of minorities voting, the bigger the number of people voting the less of a chance bigots have of getting elected.

+26 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

The only problem these laws help to solve is the Republican's problem of minorities voting, the bigger the number of people voting the less of a chance bigots have of getting elected.

Your head is in the sand on this one. Voter ID laws are not made to curb minorities from voting. They are made to stop one individual from voting 10 or 20 times.

Like this idiot:

CT Democrat Representive Faces 19 Voter Fraud Charges

Among the 19 counts pending against the representative are three separate felony charges: fraudulent voting, primary or enrollment violation, and tampering or fabricating physical evidence.

Apparently she voted like eight times. If she was required to present ID, would she have gotten away with voting eight times? I think not.

But requiring ID is racist huh? I guess if criminals are a race, it is.

+16 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Great!

When are fees for purchasing/licensing a firearm going to be abolished?

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos, an appointee of President Barack Obama confirmed to the bench in 2011,

Oh, yeah. Does anyone else see an appeal coming?

+21 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If you don't have an ID...

You shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Only the cheaters are fighting against proving who you are.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I am at a loss on this one.

I thought the States could make whatever laws they wanted.

How can the federal Court override the States.

Hmm, confusing, this one is. Need Jedi mind trick to wrap ones head around problem

P

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Voter ID laws are not made to curb minorities from voting

They're made to curb all democrats from voting. In Ohio they actually reduced early voting just in Democratic areas.

+21 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Oh yeah this is great. I can't buy a beer or decongestant without showing ID but those 11+ million illegal aliens (plus the 100,000 new ones) get to vote without any problem.

This country is messed up.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Great!

When are fees for purchasing/licensing a firearm going to be abolished?

I hope you aren't implying that you vote with your gun.

edit on 9-10-2014 by Cuervo because: added smiley to make sure the bunny doesn't kill me for thinking I'm serious...

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7

Another win for the people to keep their right to vote.

The only people that win are the illegal and undocumented voters.

It's the American citizens that lose unfortunately.

edit on 10/9/2014 by SpaDe_ because: ..

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

We wouldn't want to disenfranchise those undocumented Democrats

Does this apply to everyone? I mean can I go in and say "sorry, no ID" and still vote as well, or will I have to show an ID?

If so isn't that unequal treatment to the registered Republicans?

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

You know, Cuervo, beezzer has a point. Voting is a fundamental right which can not be burdened by government requirements and personal expenses, even if it's only two or three dollars for an ID.

Bearing arms is also a fundamental right. Last time I checked it was being burdened up the wazoo. Yep, I know a gun can do terrible violence, but I've learned that a vote can cause even more misery.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

They're made to curb all democrats from voting. In Ohio they actually reduced early voting just in Democratic areas.

So, Democrats do not have Identification?

Who in this country over the age of 18 who IS HERE LEGALLY does not have an ID?!?!

I am sure there are a few people who don't have ID but come on. The Vast majority of people do.

There is NOTHING wrong with showing ID to vote unless either your illegally here and not supposed to be voting or you are trying to vote numerous times......either way your in the wrong, and if you support them you are in the wrong also.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

At most $60 for a photo ID. Good for 4 or more years. About 30 states require some form of ID to vote.

Honestly if someone who wants to vote cannot produce $60, in the year or more leading up to elections, are you sure they can vote responsibly?

www.nationaljournal.com...
www.ncsl.org...

I get money is tight for a lot of folks. For the majority of my adult life including now, money is tight for me. But $60 bucks is dinner and a movie for two, or a carton of cigarettes. When so much of life including banking needs ID, the idea of ID to vote doesn't upset me.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Strange.

Are you telling us *all* Democrats need special accommodations to vote?

In Chicago they stopped certified death certificates as valid I.D. to vote.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952
a reply to: Cuervo

You know, Cuervo, beezzer has a point. Voting is a fundamental right which can not be burdened by government requirements and personal expenses, even if it's only two or three dollars for an ID.

Bearing arms is also a fundamental right. Last time I checked it was being burdened up the wazoo. Yep, I know a gun can do terrible violence, but I've learned that a vote can cause even more misery.

I know. I was just pointing out the unfortunate phrasing and timing.

If we are talking about voter ID laws being uncool because they are considered a "poll tax" and the reply is about guns fees, it implies that the person is considering gun fees to also be a "poll tax". Thus my joke.

Just a joke.

(post by hogstooth removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Bigots? Really? So having to prove that you are an actual citizen is now considered bigotry? Ummmm...just no. And this is not a win, it's a loss for the citizens who actually have proper identification and have no problem showing it to anyone should they ask for it.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Damn right! They purposely open our borders to anyone and then of course shoot down voter id laws so these grateful illegals keep these power hungry despicable people in power. The judge seems biased by his remark, since you can get a free ID to vote it's NOT a tax. I can't wait until this damn president is long gone.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

From an article on MSNBC (of all places):

Rick Hasen, a prominent election law scholar, wrote that he expects the ruling to be reversed on appeal, because courts have generally held that election rules shouldn’t be changed so close to an election, to avoid voter confusion.

“If the district court orders an immediate stop to Texas’s ID law, I expect the 5th Circuit (if not the Supreme Court) to reverse that,” Hasen wrote.

www.msnbc.com...

As I thought. More of a political decision than a legal one.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join